IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID or no HID?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 03:55 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as many people enjoy chanting "JDM" i think for this case i must go HID HID HID!. imho their worth the money, i mean its 2007, omost 2008, u cant get a car w/o HID's. n i'd rather have it come with oem hid's with afs, cause on those S shaped roads n stuff, i must say the afs helps, of not its pretty amusing
Old 10-11-07, 05:19 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tchan1
even though it is in halogen projectors it still produces glare and will blind on coming traffic
This is simply not true, if it's a good quality kit and the lights are properly aimed then there would be no issues at all. I wish I would have taken pics of my setup before I got rid of the car, the cutoff of the lights was identical to the pics here of the car with the oem hids. My kit was a 6000k and let there be no mistake that there was a night and day diffreence in lighting. Maybe on a cheap kit 6000k puts out a bluish tint but not on the ones I had, very nice white light and I didn't think I saw more, I knew I was seeing more...no illusion here. Again I think it is all in the kit that you by and having a good quality projector, without both of these than why bother.
Old 10-11-07, 07:22 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by phillies
I'm looking at getting my first IS250 AWD base model and I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the HID headlights. Most IS250's in the Northeast seem to come standard with the HID but there are some cars here and there that don't have them. I never had a car that had HID's so I really don't know if they are worth it for somebody who is trying to keep the cost down.
get it...u wont regret!
Old 10-11-07, 11:48 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by l1tech
...Maybe on a cheap kit 6000k puts out a bluish tint but not on the ones I had, very nice white light and I didn't think I saw more, I knew I was seeing more...no illusion here...
Did you know that a 4300k hid puts out *more* light than a 6000k hid (all other things being equal) ? So it is an illusion, you think you see more due to the color of the light, but in reality it is truly *less* light. But I do agree with your comment on the quality of the kit and also the quality of the bulbs are key.
Old 10-11-07, 11:56 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven next to an IS with halogen headlights at night, and compared to my HID headlights, there is no comparison. My HID's were definitely brighter, and illuminated a much larger area than the halogen headlights could ever dream of covering. Go OEM HID and enjoy the extra safety of better light.
Old 10-11-07, 12:14 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalJD
Did you know that a 4300k hid puts out *more* light than a 6000k hid (all other things being equal) ? So it is an illusion, you think you see more due to the color of the light, but in reality it is truly *less* light. But I do agree with your comment on the quality of the kit and also the quality of the bulbs are key.

In this scenario I was comparing my 6000k hids against my stock halogens...there was no illusion...I was seeing more, perhaps you are refering to the difference between the 4300 vs the 6000. i can't intelligently speak about which one puts out more light scientifiaclly so I won't attempt to.
Old 10-11-07, 02:57 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ LOL. Then I wholeheartedly agree, stock halogens vs 6000k hids is no contest. The difference to the naked eye is like night & day (pun intended) . . .
Old 10-11-07, 06:49 PM
fdelement
Driver

4300k theoretically provides the most amount of light output (for visibility). Anything lower or high is worse.
Old 10-11-07, 08:28 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

I'm in the NE too and I got the HIDs with AWD. I'm glad I got the HIDs. The adaptive feature is nice. They were worth it. Plus a new study showed they can "help save lives."
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...ts-save-lives/
A recent study in Germany has found cars equipped with xenon headlights are less at risk of being in an accident compared with cars using duller halogen bulbs. According to the results of the study conducted by Germany’s TÜV Rheinlands, if every car featured xenon lights, the number of people killed in motor vehicle accidents could fall by up to 18%. It doesn’t end there. The study also found the lower power consumption of xenons could improve carbon-dioxide emissions from vehicles by up to 1.3g per km.

The brighter intensity of xenon lights compared with halogen units provides better illumination of the road ahead as well as greater warning for pedestrians crossing a street in the dark. They also have a longer life span, reports AutomobilWoche.

However, critics still argue that because of the blinding glare given off by xenons at certain angles, the lights shouldn’t be made mandatory.
Old 10-12-07, 05:37 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, positively without question get the HID setup. It's a 'no brainer'