IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

About to trade in my new IS350 for a truck...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 01:07 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, only YOU can decide what you want, but there's a lot of financial sense in sticking with what you have, and getting a used truck. After all, if you only need a truck for hauling, it doesn't have to be a NICE truck.

Oh, and I have to comment on:

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
My husband...drives an Aston Martin DB9
WHAT a machine.....In my opinion, that's one of the most beautiful cars ever.
Old 10-09-07, 01:08 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Recluse

WHAT a machine.....In my opinion, that's one of the most beautiful cars ever.

yeah does he have a sister? f that, hook it up with his mom.
Old 10-09-07, 07:42 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
.... should I wear a bikini, mini skirt, short shorts? The 5" heels are a must! LOL BTW: my skirts are shorter and heels are much higher than the pic above!
All of the above.....

For me the DB9 is beautiful, and a close second to the Bentley GT:

Old 10-09-07, 08:16 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ron_is350
hey i am in the same position, but not a truck just a bigger car. After cancelling my order on a 335i coupe that i had ordered back in december and then changing my mind and ordering one again in march, and then cancelling it--(i just had a fever for having a coupe). the big reason why i cancelled both, and the bmw dealership hates me now, is because i don't need a smaller car, i need a big one. im always driving my friends to hollywood and melrose and malibu and other places and everyone keeps complaining, including myself about the restrictions i have with the is. this passed weekend i was looking at the 08 M5 at two different dealerships. i saw one that was used with 2k 2008 blk/blk smg on special for 84k--huge savings from new. right now i am contemplating getting that. but don't forget the other factors--a v10 with m-mode on will get me 9mpg and i commute about 70 miles a day to and from school alone. that is just awful, and the only thing keeping me away. if there were any bigger car out there with the speed and mpg im looking for, then id be in it.

so don't forget overall practicality in your decision!
If your looking at an 84k car.... who cares what MPG it gets?
Old 10-09-07, 09:11 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoafb
If your looking at an 84k car.... who cares what MPG it gets?
most of the people who own one, according to m5boards.

with an 18 gallon tank and 9mpg id get ~162 miles to every tank. that would last me about 2 days or so. on top of that, the gas station here is 3.59 a gallon
so let's say 3.50, to be nice. that's around 60 dollars about three times a week.

it's a big step. and the 70 miles to and from school, that doesn't include anywhere else i drive. i also have to go to the gym and other errands.
Old 10-09-07, 09:35 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

I'm not a truck guy but I have to say the Tundra is a very nice truck. So nice that I too considered trading in my 2IS for one --in my case it is actually more practical than the 2IS. And to those who say it's not very luxurious, I beg to differ. A properly equipped Tundra gives me more interior satisfaction than my 2IS.

I know your situation is different by the fact that you have to decide between only one car. In my case I will be keeping the 2IS and upgrading my fiancees CR-V to a Tundra (with the condition that the 2IS becomes her DD lol)

At the end of the day, don't listen to your 'friends' but to yourself. It's your car/insurance payment, it's your DD, and since you say you have no specific need to either..it boils down to what you want more.

(For those that haven't driven the new tundra...that thing pulls!)
Old 10-09-07, 09:51 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with an 18 gallon tank and 9mpg id get ~162 miles to every tank. that would last me about 2 days or so. on top of that, the gas station here is 3.59 a gallon
so let's say 3.50, to be nice. that's around 60 dollars about three times a week.

it's a big step. and the 70 miles to and from school, that doesn't include anywhere else i drive. i also have to go to the gym and other errands.
I see what you are saying, but if you drop 84k on a car the price of gas should not even come into question. You should have gobs of disposable cash before making such a purchase. IMHO.

Kinda like saying you need to check the insurance rate on that Porsche S-4 before buying it to make sure it is in budget.
Old 10-09-07, 10:22 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OP is from Texas where truck ownership, whether needed or not, is in a man's DNA. I'm not a truck owner, and I can't understand why folks who have no need for a truck will get the biggest one available, but that's just me. I don't think a beater truck is going to scratch his itch because trucks in TX are not just about function, they are about style. This would seem to be confirmed as he says he has no real need for a truck, he just likes them. Only the OP can decide if he wants a truck rather than a Lexus. Just make your decision and move on. There is no right or wrong answer here. But just be aware you will get creamed on the financials no matter how you figure it.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-09-07 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-09-07, 10:23 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Bentley GT is played out like Kanye West....DB9 is nice, but it is no Vanquish S.

Settle for this!

Keep the car IMO regarding the mixed feelings on the Tundra, and being that it is a Lexus board, I am sure you are drawn to the Toyota. However, the new Ford F series is amazing!

Old 10-09-07, 10:24 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Get a used truck. Best of both worlds. I used to have an old 4Runner for the winters and it was great for what it did and I didn't care if I got another door ding after a night out at the bars with friends.

As for mr. Ron_is350 who is worried about gas on a deal of an 84k M5... From your signature you were born in 1989? You drive to school 70 miles a day so I don't see where you can hold down a full time job. From what I can tell, stop dreaming and getting prices on M5's when you should thank your daddy every day he's funding you. Why don't you look at moving out of your parents house and closer to school? I never go off on anyone, but your attempted hi-jacking of this thread is enough. I won't be replying to you on this thread so start your own.
Old 10-09-07, 10:38 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

you don't pay for your own gas, so who cares?? everything in life is free anyway.....
Old 10-09-07, 10:41 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

two words as a reason to keep the IS. GAS MILEAGE. However if you end up getting a truck, either a Tundra or a Tacoma is the way to go.
Old 10-09-07, 10:44 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I like the previous gen Tundra way better then the new one.

Or get a new Tacoma 4dr, I love those!
Old 10-09-07, 01:43 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
OP is from Texas where truck ownership, whether needed or not, is in a man's DNA. I'm not a truck owner, and I can't understand why folks who have no need for a truck will get the biggest one available, but that's just me. I don't think a beater truck is going to scratch his itch because trucks in TX are not just about function, they are about style. This would seem to be confirmed as he says he has no real need for a truck, he just likes them. Only the OP can decide if he wants a truck rather than a Lexus. Just make your decision and move on. There is no right or wrong answer here. But just be aware you will get creamed on the financials no matter how you figure it.
yeah mayne, im in Texas as well, and I dont get this truck obsession. Alot peeps here dont even know what an IS250 is or an Audi A4. But I have accepted it
Old 10-09-07, 01:50 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus + truck =

Seriously, if you can't find a way to own both, you could consider putting a hitch on the Lexus and get a small utility trailer for those occasional trips to Home Dept. It wouldn't take much of a trailer to match the cargo volume you could carry in a Tundra.

Quick Reply: About to trade in my new IS350 for a truck...help!