IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

About to trade in my new IS350 for a truck...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 09:04 PM
ckeck
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to trade in my new IS350 for a truck...help!

I have always been a "truck" guy (never owned a car) and this past Spring after driving my old Dodge RAM for 6+ years I felt it was time for a new ride. I was in love with the new Toyota Tundra’s and spent months researching them. I actually placed an order for a custom built Tundra in early April and come late-June the dang truck had not even been built yet. So I started taking a look at other options and eventually came across the Lexus dealership. After falling in love with the IS and peer pressure from some of my friends with Lexus’s, BMW’s, Infiniti’s, etc...I purchased a fully loaded '07 IS350

I absolutely love this car, and I have no SPECIFIC need for a truck but I find myself not being able to do a bunch of little things, plus a bunch of "what ifs".

I think I am getting truck fever again as I am not quite sure how to feel about only having a car. I ALMOST pulled the trigger today on a new truck as they are offering some great pricing on the Limited Edition Tundra's plus 0% financing (I would actually come out on top for a higher priced truck...with new car depreciation). But I was able to restrain myself for another day or two...

Any helpful words of advice from the community? Anyone been in this situation before? I'm lost...truck friends pulling me one way...car friends pulling me the other...no specific need for either...but it looks like now is the most opportune time to make a change if I am going to do so

Help!
Old 10-08-07, 09:10 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm get a car that forms into a truck when you need a truck. Then when you dont need a truck transform it back.?
Old 10-08-07, 09:15 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Get a cheap beater truck to satisfy your needs.
Old 10-08-07, 09:15 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Tundra's are nice trucks. If you want a truck and that's where you passion is, you should get a truck... I don't really see how anyone here can help you. You own an IS and know what it has to offer, you've owned trucks before and know what they've got to offer. You need to figure out what you want more.
Old 10-08-07, 09:16 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

No wonder you feel the need to get back in a truck, your friends must all look at you like your some kind of sissy boy driving a car. If your not driving a gigantic diesel powered behemoth in SA with an even bigger brush bar on hanging off the front you must be from out of town or some kind sissy. - I love visiting San Antonio, but could never live there cause I'm not into trucks!
Old 10-08-07, 09:24 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a difference that will be! Tundra all the way man!
Old 10-08-07, 09:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I to love trucks, so useful... going to the dump, moving stuff, stealing bik*COUGH*.... like i said, very useful. Like someone said, get a beater, some used f-150 w/xtra cab n longbed
Old 10-08-07, 09:51 PM
mt1
Rookie

I love my IS....AND my 4x4 truck.
(keep the IS and get the tundra!!!)
Old 10-08-07, 09:57 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I would keep the IS350 and just borrow your friends truck whenever you might need it. (buy your friend some beer too)
Old 10-08-07, 10:24 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

My husband has a similar problem, torn between a truck and sports car. To satisfy his urge for the past 2 years, he drives an Aston Martin DB9 and an 06Tacoma PreRunner. To my surprise, after he drove my new IS, he liked it so much that he considered going to just one car for a couple of years and get an IS for himself. I like that option as it would free up the driveway!

Trucks are nice, but they certainly don't hold the status of a Lexus. It all depends on what you are looking for. Do you really use the truck for what it is capable of? Do you go out on the town and want to be showy as in "sexy lexy"?

I can tell you that from a woman's perspective, my eye is drawn to the Lexus over a truck. A car from the luxury class says much without saying much.

Last edited by DropTopGal; 10-08-07 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 10:36 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

get a used truck!
Old 10-08-07, 10:42 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

[quote=DropTopGal;2971001]...after he drove my new IS....quote]

Pictures, DTG, we need pictures of your new ride.

Here's what my eyes are drawn to :

Old 10-08-07, 10:49 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I've been getting many requests to post sexy pics with me and the IS. I enjoying posing for pics (blush) and I promise, sexy car pics to come soon. If the weather is nice this Thursday, I'll head to the beach and do a quick photo shoot. Gee, I should do a quick poll.... should I wear a bikini, mini skirt, short shorts? The 5" heels are a must! LOL BTW: my skirts are shorter and heels are much higher than the pic above!
Old 10-09-07, 12:36 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey i am in the same position, but not a truck just a bigger car. After cancelling my order on a 335i coupe that i had ordered back in december and then changing my mind and ordering one again in march, and then cancelling it--(i just had a fever for having a coupe). the big reason why i cancelled both, and the bmw dealership hates me now, is because i don't need a smaller car, i need a big one. im always driving my friends to hollywood and melrose and malibu and other places and everyone keeps complaining, including myself about the restrictions i have with the is. this passed weekend i was looking at the 08 M5 at two different dealerships. i saw one that was used with 2k 2008 blk/blk smg on special for 84k--huge savings from new. right now i am contemplating getting that. but don't forget the other factors--a v10 with m-mode on will get me 9mpg and i commute about 70 miles a day to and from school alone. that is just awful, and the only thing keeping me away. if there were any bigger car out there with the speed and mpg im looking for, then id be in it.

so don't forget overall practicality in your decision!
Old 10-09-07, 12:40 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
BTW: my skirts are shorter and heels are much higher than the pic above!
Teasing us nerds on internet forums, shame on you

Quick Reply: About to trade in my new IS350 for a truck...help!