IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm oneeeeee sadsadsad chick! HELPPPPP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 03:10 PM
ijenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm oneeeeee sadsadsad chick! HELPPPPP.

Okay, so I dropped by the dealership today. And they're unable to comply with every option that I wanted - IS250 MT, Mark Levinson and luxury package. Even down to the color I wanted is unavailable. Special order? Yeah, I asked but they're telling me that they won't special order this way for manual transmission, because from what the dude said, it stopped selling around here after the first year, so they just didn't order it anymore. Nor will they just order one for me, cause he says that it doesn't work that way. They hafto order a big number of them? Or something. I don't know.

I've read previous posts about different regions carrying different options, but I didn't think it was going to be this bad. The disappointment level is just unbelievable. I've called dealers in jersey, and there's one in Prestige that actually did a lot of research for me. They say they'll special order one, exactly the way I want it. And with the wait of 3 - 4 months, but that's okay. I just want my baby!

BUT

It's going to come out to be 38k WITHOUT tax. So in total, its going to cost me 42k. Not worth it! I might as well go with the 350 at that point. And we all know that teptronic just isn't going to be the same. My last resort is to speak with dealers in florida, cause I've been told that they carry more manual transmission in stock there. But this would mean flying down there after I get the vin number, then driving it back, which will put about 1500 miles on my car already. ideas?!!?

Last edited by ijenz; 10-09-07 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 03:15 PM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ijenz
Okay, so I dropped by the dealership in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. And they're unable to comply with every option that I wanted - IS250 MT, Mark Levinson and luxury package. Even down to the color I wanted is unavailable. Special order? Yeah, I asked but they're telling me that they won't special order this way for manual transmission, because from what the dude said, it stopped selling around here after the first year, so they just didn't order it anymore. Nor will they just order one for me, cause he says that it doesn't work that way. They hafto order a big number of them? Or something. I don't know.

I've read previous posts about different regions carrying different options, but I didn't think it was going to be this bad. The disappointment level is just unbelievable. So instead of sitting here, moping.. I've called dealers in jersey, and there's one in Prestige that actually did a lot of research for me. They say they'll special order one, exactly the way I want it. And with the wait of 3 - 4 months, but that's okay. I just want my baby! Haha.

BUTTTTTT

It's going to come out to be 38k WITHOUT tax. So in total, its going to cost me 42k. Not worth it! I might as well get the 350, but I can't let go of wanting to drive manual. And we all know that teptronic just isn't going to be the same. My last resort is to speak with dealers in florida, cause I've been told that they carry more manual transmission in stock there. But this would mean flying down there after I get the vin number, then driving it back, which will put about 1500 miles on my car already. hellllllllllllllp, any ideas?
Get over the MT thing.... it is really terrible in this car IMO. Noisy clutch that slips AND cost about 5k to replace from what I have read here.
Old 10-09-07, 03:16 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The demand for a manual IS is so low that this does not surprise me one bit. Unless there is a large volume of buyers, it's simply not worth it for the factories to put them out in any significant numbers, and if you do happen to be lucky enough so special order it, it will cost some bucks. My advise would be to either ditch the manual, or go for a different car all together.
Old 10-09-07, 03:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

manual isnt even that good in the IS, notchy, its not smooth, 4 mpg less than the auto
Old 10-09-07, 03:20 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Help, any ideas?
The more specific you want the car, the more it will cost. A manual tranny with Mark Levinson is very very rare.

The best thing to do is to continue your research. If you find your car, that's great. Otherwise, you may have to compromise on your car, whether it'll be an IS, or a different car altogether...
Old 10-09-07, 03:28 PM
llhelix
Rookie

did you get to test drive the MT? IMO the MT clutch wasn't designed too well anyway. hard to get smooth shifts in the first 2 gears. do a search on the forum and see what others say too. i've read that others have the same problem and a few would wanna trade in their MT for the AT. i used to drive a MT and i switched to an AT in the IS and don't really regret it. you can still get some fun outta the sport shift on mountain roads.
Old 10-09-07, 03:33 PM
Wassa786
Driver

hey come on guys, we should have more support for her than that. If she wants a specific car, and is willing to custom order it, they should do it for her. I would go search at other dealers with your specs to order it, if not, complaint to the corporate HQ....

Everyone has a right to the vehicle of their choice, and I understand this is a rare specimen indeed, but if she is willing to special order...let her...

To each, his own.
Old 10-09-07, 03:49 PM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

well u wouldnt have to drive down there... theres trucks that can bring it up for u but those bost $1000 about
Old 10-09-07, 04:07 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Have you consider used? There might be a used 250 MT with ML and will save you a few grands.
Old 10-09-07, 04:11 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

BUTTTTTT

It's going to come out to be 38k WITHOUT tax. So in total, its going to cost me 42k.
If your heart is set on a MT 250 give Cindy or Shannon at JM Lexus a call and see what they can do for you.

If you don't like the number, with a little work you can find a base 2007 Boxster with a MT for very close to $42K....then you'll have a real sports car.
Old 10-09-07, 04:14 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Wassa786
hey come on guys, we should have more support for her than that. If she wants a specific car, and is willing to custom order it, they should do it for her. I would go search at other dealers with your specs to order it, if not, complaint to the corporate HQ....

Everyone has a right to the vehicle of their choice, and I understand this is a rare specimen indeed, but if she is willing to special order...let her...

To each, his own.
It's not a matter of being supportive, I certainly hope she gets the exact car she wants at the price she wants, it's just a matter of reality.
Old 10-09-07, 04:17 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

The 250 MT is not well supported, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped on the next model year. Lexus, I think, is purposefully making it next to impossible to get one. If you read others' special order experiences, it seems that the horror stories come from those trying to get a manual transmission. Normally I'd say get what you want, but you do have to weigh whether or not you want to get an option that's going to be obsolete and unsupported soon (at least in my opinion). Also as others have pointed out it's an option that may not work very well to begin with.

All the variants of the IS250 to me are like a bad marketing experiment by Lexus in which I think the IS250 AWD will be the winner because that is what they are really pushing across the dealerships in the U.S. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, these are just a few things you need to think about. How much impact does the manual transmission add to the car versus all the negatives associated with getting one?

By the way, wouldn't a manual be a royal pain in the you know what in New York City? I couldn't deal with the constant shifting, and I'm in the suburbs. It's stop and go: highway or city, every day, all the time.

I just got my special order through Cindy at JM Lexus. Process was smooth, she's very good with the details, and they do a lot of special orders (they are the #1 volume dealer) so they are well versed in the process and procedures. Plus they shipped the vehicle from Florida to me here on the CT/NY line for $725. Not bad and definitely worth the savings in time and hassle from these local dealerships that just want your money today and not three months from now and pretty much lie to get you to not special order.

Lexus in general doesn't like special orders I'm sorry to say, so you really have to pick your dealer carefully. Someone on here had a good experience with special ordering through Ray Catena Lexus in NJ (I think there's another one off 95 in Mamaroneck or New Rochelle not far from where I am). The special order time is about three months, but some dealers quoted me as high as six months.
Old 10-09-07, 04:20 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that being a gurl you'd want auto so you can talk/text on the fone/put on make-up while driving

*runs for an asbestos fire suit*
Old 10-09-07, 04:28 PM
llhelix
Rookie

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I would think that being a gurl you'd want auto so you can talk/text on the fone/put on make-up while driving

*runs for an asbestos fire suit*
lol. careful with those comments to girls. might need more than an asbestos fire suit.
Old 10-09-07, 04:38 PM
ijenz
Driver School Candidate

lol awwwww. thanks guy

after getting opinions from you guys and a few of my friends, i've decided to either go with just starfire white and MT, without navi. and i was told to just put an aftermarket navi. and i have read the posts about how a lot of people on clublexus who were previous owners with a manual transmission actually traded it in for a AT. now im beginning to reconsidered everything - i called the guy from the Prestige dealership back and he gave me an invoice price of 34k WITH tax for just going with the white and and black interior, and MT. that sounds.. awesome, lol. 2 - 3k less than what i was willing to pay. i'll probably head over there sometime next week to go over everything, and if it goes smoothly, i'll ask him to put the order in.

you guys are the best! shall we organize a meet for the tri-state area when my soon-to-be boyfriend comes in?

Last edited by ijenz; 10-09-07 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm oneeeeee sadsadsad chick! HELPPPPP.