IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Warranty? 'You play, you pay.'

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-07, 10:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,994 Likes on 2,418 Posts

If this continues in this vein, I will move this thread to the debate forum. It may have belonged there from the beginning, but it is rapidly degenerating.
Old 10-14-07, 11:24 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another similar thing that relates cheating the dealership is insurance fraud. You know that its wrong and yet people still do it. People are selfish by nature, so they do whatever benefits them and worry about the other thing afterwards.

movinquick - from you posts it seems like you think Lexus is against you or something and you are "rightfully" taking whats yours. From this quote:
i don't believe i'm a bad person, i don't look at myself as a thief, but i'm going to be honest - when i go to the stealership, i try to get as much free stuff as possible - under warranty, not under warranty, my fault, your fault, his fault, who cares?
When everyone takes advantage it adds up. Lexus is running a business as with any other business. Perhaps your not a business owner and do not know /experience the other perspective.
Old 10-15-07, 01:59 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Another similar thing that relates cheating the dealership is insurance fraud. You know that its wrong and yet people still do it. People are selfish by nature, so they do whatever benefits them and worry about the other thing afterwards.

movinquick - from you posts it seems like you think Lexus is against you or something and you are "rightfully" taking whats yours. From this quote:

When everyone takes advantage it adds up. Lexus is running a business as with any other business. Perhaps your not a business owner and do not know /experience the other perspective.
i totally agree with you about people being selfish by nature. everyone wants something for free. everyone wants to tell people what a great deal they got. everyone wants to spend someone else's money, especially in business.

i have a good understanding of how real world business works. i've worked for myself pretty much all my life. i take nothing in business personal. i protect myself from people as well as let people take advantage of me at times just to keep the consumer happy. if someone comes to me to complain about how lousy a product is and i have an idea that it might be his fault but can't prove it, i'll fix his problem with a smile like any other customer. i'm not going to say i'm a business guru but i know a thing or two and am learning everyday.

i'm not going to fuss if the stealership tells me they can't do anything cause i obviously messed with the car. i'm not going into the dealer screaming about the warranty. like i said before, i look at the claim form as a permission slip, it can get approved or denied.

your right, i do look at major corporations as the necessary enemy (i guess it shows it my words). any company making enough money to feed a small country is open game to me. as a consumer, i look at myself as a player in their game and their rules, if i can manipulate it, i will. when i'm on the corporate side of things (hopefully within a few years), i'll play a different strategy. i think i just look at the situation totally different from you guys.

as for insurance fraud, when the adjuster came for my last accident a few years ago, he told me how he was getting the most money for me out of the claim. i wasn't going to tell him he was morally wrong, just cut me the check.

sorry mod, i knew i was getting off topic. i've just been in the mood to type. i'll save my future monologues for the clubhouse.
Old 10-15-07, 09:36 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by movinquick
sorry mod, i knew i was getting off topic. i've just been in the mood to type. i'll save my future monologues for the clubhouse.
You don’t have to stop posting here. I think what you have said is fascinating and educational. I’ve never heard anyone but you willing to outright say what others with your mindset would just keep hidden. Not that you will end up in prison, as has been suggested, and I really hope not, but to me it answers why someone with a decent education, being fairly well spoken, and normal upbringing often ends up behind bars after committing some sort of white-collar crime. What justification did they have? How did they rationalize their stepping over the line? What lead them to believe what they did was OK? Whom do they believe to be the enemy from whom they can rightly steal? Well, at least for me you may have answered those questions.
Old 10-15-07, 10:28 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
The problem with magnusson-moss is who is going to enforce it? Case in point, my last car was lightly modified when the transmission failed on it. I had an exhaust system. The warranty company claimed that the exhaust system produced too much power that the transmission wasn't designed to handle it. Whic is BS, especially from a simple catback exhaust. I had to have a lawyer write them a nice little letter before they finally decided to pay... Now I got lucky, my cousin was the lawyer and I get my legal issues taken care of for free, not everyone is that fortunate.
You're right. However, and unfortunate and/or unfair as it may be, trying to redress any grievance, wrong, etc., usually requires a monetary expenditure (attorney's, filing costs, etc.) If you take the dealership to court and win, you are entitled to your costs and attorney's fees under the MM act. I'm not trying to second guess your cousin but he/she should have at least asked for his/her normal fees for writing that letter. Your case is pretty clear cut and the dealership would have known that they would have probably lost in court, where they would have had to incur even greater costs.

I agree with you to a CERTAIN extant, for example, I'm not going to do the nav hack until AFTER my warranty expieres. This issue however is not quite as black and white as your original posts makes it out to be, it has far more shades of gray than anything.
I'll agree with this to a CERTAIN extent also. If it's honestly questionable, then all bets are off. Have the dealership fix it or prove that it was your fault. However, if you make a modification to your car and something happens to it like fouling your MAF with oil from an aftermarket intake, don't put your stock intake back on and try to fool the dealership.
Old 10-15-07, 04:23 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
You don’t have to stop posting here. I think what you have said is fascinating and educational. I’ve never heard anyone but you willing to outright say what others with your mindset would just keep hidden. Not that you will end up in prison, as has been suggested, and I really hope not, but to me it answers why someone with a decent education, being fairly well spoken, and normal upbringing often ends up behind bars after committing some sort of white-collar crime. What justification did they have? How did they rationalize their stepping over the line? What lead them to believe what they did was OK? Whom do they believe to be the enemy from whom they can rightly steal? Well, at least for me you may have answered those questions.
i'm not an old experienced scholar or anything, i'm only 25. but i've experienced a lot in my lifetime, and hopefully a lot more later. prison doesn't scare me. i've had a few run ins with the law, which taught me to: a) know the law and police procdure and b) put down a retainer on a lawyer way before anything unfortunate happens so he's ready to go if something does.

you sound like you're talking about me. i'll look at a company's procedures and see i can figure out something to work towards my benefit. i try to bend corporate rules but not break them, if that makes sense. my strategy when going to the dealer is to keep as much money in my pocket as possible. america is a land where anyone can make money and i feel that i'm blessed because i live in a nation that i can wiggle my way thru a corporation's guidelines and save myself some money. call me robin hood cause i don't look at it as stealing. just like the executives who come up with these procedures aren't thinking about me when their on their yachts and sleeping with expensive hookers.

i just made a new thread in the debate section. read my story and tell me what you think
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=312604
Old 10-15-07, 05:10 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just made a new thread in the debate section. read my story and tell me what you think
I try to avoid the debate forum, so I’ll let others give you their opinions over there.

Yes, I may have been talking about you, as I do find your attitude interesting. Now I’ll be 71 years old in a few months so because you’re only 25 you may want to listen to an old man who says you’re heading in the wrong direction and are likely to find a life’s worth of unhappiness if you continue.
Old 10-15-07, 05:31 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
I try to avoid the debate forum, so I’ll let others give you their opinions over there.

Yes, I may have been talking about you, as I do find your attitude interesting. Now I’ll be 71 years old in a few months so because you’re only 25 you may want to listen to an old man who says you’re heading in the wrong direction and are likely to find a life’s worth of unhappiness if you continue.
The great thing about wisdom is that you can't really be taught it, you have to experience it. I applaud the advice, but I think you'll find he needs to figure it out on his own.

I am glad that there are people like you on this forum to keep us young bucks in check.
Old 10-15-07, 05:37 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

i respect the words of a 71 year old. i hope to be a wise old man that people will actually listen to one day. i don't think i'm headed in any wrong direction. i read whats happened in history to prepare for the future. i plan ahead months, and now years in advance with set schedules and goals, and have several back up plans just in case. i try not to look at things as black and white.

people have proven themselves time and time again, people are selfish, people are greedy, people destroy nature. corporations are the worst type of people, cause they're compiled of cut throat business men out for a buck. i see too much corruption in the world to care about warranty fraud at the dealer. i don't think the world is getting worst, i think people are just becoming more aware of news through the media.
Old 10-15-07, 05:57 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
The great thing about wisdom is that you can't really be taught it, you have to experience it. I applaud the advice, but I think you'll find he needs to figure it out on his own.

I am glad that there are people like you on this forum to keep us young bucks in check.
the great thing about being young is that i have a lifetime to accomplish my goals. because of america now, i have way more opportunities at 25 now than you had at 25 in the past. in a few years, my focus is to be the guy on the other end collecting the profits on your monthly payments (cause he's the good guy) and you'll still be that guy with your morally maintained lexus. i love your mentality and would love to maintain your honest business as an owner. lexus has found a great end user. i welcome people like you cause the business needs players like you in order to thrive.

ok, for real - i'm done being the bad guy. i'm going to go back to the gs section to talk about suspension and brakes and less thought provoking stuff.
Old 10-16-07, 01:51 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=312604
Wow. Just read your thread, if you think the honda transmission stunt is nothing short of fraud & deceipt, then I don't know what to tell you. You may want to re-think raising a child if you believe this is an appropriate technique to teach a young & impressionable mind. . .
Old 10-16-07, 02:45 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD
Wow. Just read your thread, if you think the honda transmission stunt is nothing short of fraud & deceipt, then I don't know what to tell you. You may want to re-think raising a child if you believe this is an appropriate technique to teach a young & impressionable mind. . .
like i said in the thread, you let my views on warranties define my morals and i set myself up for that. i'm on the defense and i'm alright with that. tell me every decision you made in your life was morally correct and maybe you can tell me you would have the authority to tell me i should rethink raising a child cause i had some guy swap at a tranny? as americans, you support and do morally wrong things everyday without even thinking twice about it, but thats why i started the other thread. my views go way farther than "duping the dealer". i wrote about way more than the tranny swap, but you can choose to focus on that.
Old 10-16-07, 03:35 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Well, you did post a link and asked for opinions. I'm not as old as Magellan or Evitzee, and I certainly don't have the authority to tell you anything. I have young kids, but I don't tell them about the bone-head things I did in my youth. It's one thing to post about your exploits on a public internet forum, and it's another to teach a child the proper morals & ethics, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt. . .
Old 10-16-07, 04:17 PM
movinquick
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ Well, you did post a link and asked for opinions. I'm not as old as Magellan or Evitzee, and I certainly don't have the authority to tell you anything. I have young kids, but I don't tell them about the bone-head things I did in my youth. It's one thing to post about your exploits on a public internet forum, and it's another to teach a child the proper morals & ethics, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt. . .
thanks for the benefit of the doubt, i wrote a lot, i also did write that i save jarred from the politics i think about. he's too young to understand. but i do teach him that schooling does raise him to be a worker for corporate america (get good grades, go to college, find a good job), and now at the age of 7, all he's going to hear is "make sure you work for yourself when you get older". i wish my parents told me that back then.

i did ask, don't take my response as..umm... snippy. my tone should be calm and relaxed when reading anything i post. i appreciate your response.
Old 11-15-07, 09:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

There Is No Way That A Mod Can Void Warranty Unless The Part Is Directly Involved Or Suspect. They Cant Tell You They Wont Work On Any Part Of The Car Bec The Car Has One Mod. Tell The Bastards That You Will Call A Lawyer