IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Warranty? 'You play, you pay.'

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 10:51 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warranty? 'You play, you pay.'

First of all, I'm not trying to call anyone out or refer to any member in particular.

JMHO, but I've seen so many posts on this board (and every other car forum) that suggest/advocate dishonesty and what simply amounts to fraud that I had to say something.

I'm a cheap a b@stard as the next person but if something happens to my ride from something I did to it, I'm too afraid of karma to try and get Lexus to warranty it. What happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

I realize that everyone has been or knows at least someone who has been royally screwed by a 'stealership' but unless you're in prison, that just doesn't provide justification to 'screw them since they will/before they screw you.'

In the end, we're just screwing ourselves as the dealership's get paid for the work either way and we get to pay more for our cars up front to compensate for all of the forecasted 'warranty' work.
Old 10-10-07, 11:07 AM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol u need to relax
Old 10-10-07, 11:20 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fiko18
lol u need to relax
WERD!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-10-07, 11:26 AM
danger4o5
Pole Position

You do need to relax. Its not like its going to change anyones mind if they want to do it or not. If you feel bad then please do not do any modes to your car that would void warranty.
Old 10-10-07, 11:51 AM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al503
First of all, I'm not trying to call anyone out or refer to any member in particular.

JMHO, but I've seen so many posts on this board (and every other car forum) that suggest/advocate dishonesty and what simply amounts to fraud that I had to say something.

I'm a cheap a b@stard as the next person but if something happens to my ride from something I did to it, I'm too afraid of karma to try and get Lexus to warranty it. What happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

I realize that everyone has been or knows at least someone who has been royally screwed by a 'stealership' but unless you're in prison, that just doesn't provide justification to 'screw them since they will/before they screw you.'

In the end, we're just screwing ourselves as the dealership's get paid for the work either way and we get to pay more for our cars up front to compensate for all of the forecasted 'warranty' work.
Nice call! I agree with you 100% People today are all about themselves and try to find someone else to blame or take the responsibility for their own mistakes. Sign of the times I guess
Old 10-10-07, 12:40 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danger4o5
You do need to relax.
LOL. According to my friends, I usually don't get worked up enough.

Its not like its going to change anyones mind if they want to do it or not.
I have to agree with you here. Just making an observation and hoping to get some constructive feedback. I appreciate yours. There's always a chance that one could be way off base.

If you feel bad then please do not do any modes to your car that would void warranty.
I actually like personalizing/modding my cars. Here's a link to my last car:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2134520251

Besides the Endless BBK, suspension, and the wheels, I modded the intake, exhaust, HID's, front grill, rear deck spoiler, underdrive pulleys, complete stereo system w/dynamat, etc.

However, the decision to do or not to do includes the consequences of the mod going wrong and what that will do to my pocketbook instead of how I can put the car back to stock before taking it in and trying to fool the dealership.
Old 10-10-07, 12:57 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Great courage to say this. You are right on! I know you will be flamed for this, but ignore them. It is high time people start taking responsibility for their actions and not blaming it on others. Hope your comments at least encourage others to look to themselves first for solutions to their situations.
Old 10-10-07, 01:31 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I couldn’t agree with you more. I get sick of the many forms of cheating that goes on around here and other sites where the posters think nothing of it. Besides lying to a dealer, we see threads advocating:

• Lying to your insurance company
• Lying to a judge in court (aka perjury)
• Faking doctor notes to justify darker tints

How many thread responses have we seen that start with, “Just tell them that………………” without our giving it a second thought?
Old 10-10-07, 01:32 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Ok, I agree with you in principle, but I guess it really depends on a case by case basis. IE: If I did the Nav hack, and 6 mos later my nav screen blows a couple of pixels, why shouldn't the screen be covered as a warranty claim ? I guess I need an example of a blatant coverup to understand your disdain.
Old 10-10-07, 01:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with socalJD.

I haven't read the warranty, but I don't see how the whole warranty can be voided because of a mod. If you hack the nav, and your rear seat leather splits a seam, Lexus can't really say it's your fault. Worst I've really seen on these boards are those who replace their headlights, and have a problem, and put the OEMs back in before taking it back to the dealer. I can't really get worked up about that...
Old 10-10-07, 02:11 PM
06Lex350
Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
Ok, I agree with you in principle, but I guess it really depends on a case by case basis. IE: If I did the Nav hack, and 6 mos later my nav screen blows a couple of pixels, why shouldn't the screen be covered as a warranty claim ? I guess I need an example of a blatant coverup to understand your disdain.
I agree that it depends on a case by case basis. If you are POSITIVE that your own mod caused the problem, it would be dishonest to attempt to warranty it. However, as I suspect is often the case, if you are unsure why something failed, there is nothing wrong with taking it into the dealer and trying to get it covered under warranty.

BTW, how about my Cardinal taking down the trojans on Saturday? Sorry, I had to say something...
Old 10-10-07, 02:45 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

what comes around goes around....... karma is a beeyotch
Old 10-10-07, 03:12 PM
VF84
Pole Position

seems to be more grey than black n white on mods. there is the magnusson-moss act, but if it's something like worn bushings, mounts, or tires because u lowered it too much, then gee, that's pretty fraudulous..

Originally Posted by 06Lex350
BTW, how about my Cardinal taking down the trojans on Saturday? Sorry, I had to say something...
if u had to... , then despite this being a bit old, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGPGG34751.DTL
Old 10-10-07, 03:58 PM
evotolexus
Driver

I agree 100%.

I'm sure the OP is referring to owners trying to warranty a part they modified. Of course, warranties cannot be voided completely due to a modification, only on those parts which a modification affected.

In particular, the infamous phrase "change it back to stock and take it to the dealer"

Always choose you modifications carefully, then accept the responsibility.

You play, you pay.
Old 10-10-07, 04:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with al503 completely. I don't know who or what tweaked this nerve, but I've mentioned similar moral issues regarding people getting their auto light positioning sensors warrantied after damaging them during aftermarket spring installs. My belief is that you really can't gripe about being screwed if you are also doing some screwing.

Quick Reply: Warranty? 'You play, you pay.'