IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 HID installation question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 06:44 PM
andyroo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 HID installation question..

Hi, I'm a complete newb when it comes to installing HID's so I was just wondering if I should just get someone to install for me? How much does it usually cost for HID's to be installed? Any information would be great!

Ps - I live in the 714(socal OC area) if anyone knows any good installers or something. Thanks!
Old 10-10-07, 06:46 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not the dealership, some custom shop that does nice work!
Old 10-10-07, 07:15 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youre probably looking at around $200+
Old 10-10-07, 07:20 PM
andyroo
Driver

just for the install?
Old 10-10-07, 07:28 PM
Nuster
Driver

That's too much.

My friend got it install for only $120 top. Don't pay more than that. Try to get it installed cheaper if you can. It's certainly for hard for a first timer. But, you have seen any other HID before, it should not be hard to install this yourself.
Old 10-10-07, 07:44 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

It's really not that difficult once you remove some parts (the parts in the engine compartment are very close together). I recommend you take some time, do it yourself and save some $$$$ which you can use for other mods/things you might need.
Old 10-10-07, 07:53 PM
andyroo
Driver

Yeah, I was thinking of giving it a shot, but I was looking at few DIY's and when I was looking at the pictures I just got super confused. I don't want to try and end up messing up my car. If anyone has some good DIY's that hopefully aren't as confusing? (I know this question has been asked like 10000000x so I'm sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry.) Thanks!
Old 10-10-07, 11:56 PM
kidsupreme
Driver School Candidate

Default same here

Same here bro, I also the DIY page and it was king of confusing.also trying to install my HID kit but I don't really know what im doing and don't really mess up my car.
what HID kit did you buy??? if you find any body willing to do it for cheap get at me man were almost in the same area 310...peace
Old 10-11-07, 02:02 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Looking at DIY page may confuse you. However, sometimes it makes it easier to understand and figure it out when you actually get to work on the car.
Think about it. It's just light
Old 10-21-07, 12:52 AM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

its easy. ill do it for u for 50 bucks haha
Old 06-25-08, 03:49 PM
aboss3
Driver

Did anyone actually install the HID's in SoCal?
Old 06-25-08, 04:20 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mctuners
Looking at DIY page may confuse you. However, sometimes it makes it easier to understand and figure it out when you actually get to work on the car.
Think about it. It's just light
I have to agree with this guy. This is my first time installing something in a car, and I had no clue what everything is/was (except the battery, and even when I needed a jump, I would call AAA). The pictures on this site and the diagram from the kit looked confusing; but it starts to make sense and seem easier once you take the covers off and take off the air box. I used the pictures to guide me where to put the harness, where to tie the extra cables...its easy once you see where everything is and relating everything back to the pictures on this site. Just make sure you have the right tools for your kit, I did'nt have the right ones and it took me a while to get the air intake out. I also PM'd the authors of those threads and they were very nice and quick to give me advice, so that helped me quite a lot.

The whole installation process took me about 4-5 hours, but only because this was my first time.
Old 06-25-08, 04:51 PM
SebsIS350
Driver

I completely agree, I looked at Passnu2's DIY and it kind of confused me at first but then my brain turned on and i understood it. I did it to my fogs and just replaced the bulbs on my low beams.

Everything is all plug and play, its really simple. Just find a good ground and your set

Good luck!
Old 06-25-08, 07:21 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

installing HID's aren't as difficult as you think it is. it's only difficult from the DIY because of how the IS was put together with its engine covers, the bumper design and how packed the engine is.

i personally strongly advise you to do it yourself. it's not difficult. look at it this way. the majority of installing the HID's in the 2IS is the fact that you may or may not need to remove parts to reach the bulbs (that of course you can read the DIY or even your owner's manual, yes it's there).

Once you reach the bulbs, you just unplug it, take the old wiring and plug it to the ballast. then you plug the bulbs back into the second wire into the new bulb and put it back together. The rest is cleaning up the extra wires and putting it neatly. Ballasts can be help on by 3M tape which is available at your local CVS or other convenient store/pharmacy. 3M tape is a double sided foam tape that's relatively strong and with enough, can hold the ballast to wherever u wanna place it. all my friends have aftermarket HIDs and they all use 3M tape to hold the ballast. think of the ballast and wires as if you're plugging in an extension cord for your vacuum but instead it has an extra block in it. very simple. good luck
Old 05-06-09, 11:29 PM
Art350IS
Driver School Candidate

how about to replace the bulbs, I ordered a set of D4S and I was wondering how difficult it was to replace the bulbs and if there were any guides out there to follow.
thanks.

Quick Reply: IS350 HID installation question..