IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3 Things I Would Change w/ on my 08 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 12:48 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Things I Would Change w/ on my 08 IS350

As I am becoming more familiar with my car after owning it for 12 days, there are three things that Lexus should have done differently.

1. Relocate the "ECT Power" button to the center area next to the shifter. The current location is a PITA to activate while driving.

2. Turanza tires on the IS350. Who in their right mind puts touring tires on a "sport" sedan. There must have been a bit to much saki during that decision making day at Lexus.

3. Lastly, the dreaded navigation restrictions. I realize that there is a hack, but still. To hack the nav is risky. Lexus should allow input while in motion as other car markers do.

Aside from those three small things, I simply enjoy my IS350!!
Old 10-11-07, 12:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no.1 n 2: i feel the same about my 07.
Old 10-11-07, 01:00 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

1. I feel you on this one, but you'll get the hang of it.

2. Someone needs to get fired for this. I've been trying to burn mine up so that I can replace them.

3. Has been argued to death on this forum, but I agree with you.
Old 10-11-07, 01:36 PM
llhelix
Rookie

i feel the same about the ECT power switch.
Old 10-11-07, 02:08 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
3. Lastly, the dreaded navigation restrictions. I realize that there is a hack, but still. To hack the nav is risky. Lexus should allow input while in motion as other car markers do.
This is less annoying than I thought it was going to be. The restrictions come off as long as you're under 5 mph which happens at every block and you have to stop for a stop sign, traffic, or a traffic light. At least you're not stuck having to pull over somewhere and put it in park, you just need to slow down and type fast. If you're at a red light you've got about 30-45 seconds. I've also found the voice recognition is better than expected if you have to use it.
Old 10-11-07, 02:12 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

#2 they switch to turenzas due to cost/noise issue?

mine has RE050s and they are hella noisy....
Old 10-11-07, 02:14 PM
06Lex350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I lucked out with tires as mine came with the Dunlop Sportmaxx. Great tires! Very good performance, quiet and I got 29k miles out of them. Just replaced them with Eagle F1s (also great tires - so far).
Old 10-11-07, 02:37 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as the Nav restrictions go, they have indeed been discussed to death. I thought most cars today have the lockout, except Honda products. Maybe I'm wrong.

A couple of weeks ago there was an incident here in Houston where a car driver who was distracted with a cell phone veered off the road, ran over a cop on the side of the road, and killed him. Although it sounds like a swell idea to enter Nav directions while on the fly, or talk on the phone, or eat, etc, etc, it really is another distraction that we don't need.

The guy who killed the cop will remember those last few seconds, and the aftermath, for the rest of his life. It ain't worth it.
Old 10-11-07, 02:50 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ I lived in Houston. Sure blame the cell phone, it could've been premeditated, based upon my recollection of Houston cops. I lived on the westside, and the village cops (Headwig, Bunker Hill, etc) were even worse. One thing I learned, never mouth off to a Houston cop, back in the day they would take matters into their own hands (literally). . .
Old 10-11-07, 03:09 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
As I am becoming more familiar with my car after owning it for 12 days, there are three things that Lexus should have done differently.

1. Relocate the "ECT Power" button to the center area next to the shifter. The current location is a PITA to activate while driving.

2. Turanza tires on the IS350. Who in their right mind puts touring tires on a "sport" sedan. There must have been a bit to much saki during that decision making day at Lexus.

Aside from those three small things, I simply enjoy my IS350!!
Im with you on all three. My knee keeps bumping into the snow button everytime i have passengers in the back. Having it in the center would be alot better.
Old 10-11-07, 03:15 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

1. I leave it on almost always.

2. I agree. Those tires are ridiculous. I believe RE050's are the best factory tires.

3. You will get used to it. I hardly ever have to add a destination on the fly. If you can't stop you can try to use voice commands (it sucks most times).
Old 10-11-07, 04:26 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I prefer where it is, as I don't use it much and like the transmission area to be uncluttered with buttons other people like to push and play around with, like an Audi A6...

2) I have RE050s. No real opinion after 6800 miles. I don't drive that hard, and isn't that sensitive to road noise.

3) If I ran Toyota, I'd do the same... I trust you, I trust me, but I don't trust many other people to handle 300 HP, talk on the phone, and work the NAV at the same time.

Looks like you are enjoying your car if these are the 3 main issues! congrats!
Old 10-11-07, 04:26 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

i'm with you on the ECT,not easy to reach if the cars moving.

and those RE050 are so noisy,i'll be getting the dunlops.
Old 10-11-07, 04:36 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

1) Would be nice if they relocated it, but I got used to the button.

2) Tires are a little slower then I would like, but I'm looking for a replacement soon.

3) If they want to lock people out of Nav while the car is in motion, the least they can do is put a sensor on the front Passenger seat (ie airbag sensor) to enable Nav if someone is sitting there....
Old 10-11-07, 06:37 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ I lived in Houston. Sure blame the cell phone, it could've been premeditated, based upon my recollection of Houston cops. I lived on the westside, and the village cops (Headwig, Bunker Hill, etc) were even worse. One thing I learned, never mouth off to a Houston cop, back in the day they would take matters into their own hands (literally). . .
This was not pre meditated. Even the driver acknowledged he had been distracted by having a previous fender bender just previous to the incident. It is quite serious for you to suggest the driver intentionally ran down another human being just because he was a cop on the side of the road doing his job. That was not the case here. Sheesh.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74481

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-11-07 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 3 Things I Would Change w/ on my 08 IS350