IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What's with the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 01:40 PM
camerri
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's with the trunk?

Okay, so I've had my IS for a couple of months now and I love the car! However, I have to say, there has always been one thing that bugs me about the car. When I push the little trunk release button the trunk doesn't open at all. Yeah it unlocks, but that's it. Maybe I was just spoiled with my last two cars that actually lifted the trunk from the bumper when unlocked.

And the trunk itself seems kind of akward and heavy to open for me. Is there something wrong with my trunk or is this normal? Am I the only one that is bothered by this? In my Passat the trunk opens all the way up when you release the lock.

Not a huge deal obviously, and I actually love how easy it is to close the trunk, but just wondering if maybe I am missing something.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-07, 01:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That's the way it is and you're not the first to complain about it and won't be the last.
No biggie to me.
Old 10-11-07, 01:45 PM
llhelix
Rookie

yup that's how it is
Old 10-11-07, 01:59 PM
camerri
Rookie

I guess I can live with it Thanks.
Old 10-11-07, 02:08 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a trunk popper.
Old 10-11-07, 02:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What cars did you have previoulsy? That's how I've seen it in pretty much any entry level luxury car. When you start getting to LS, A8, even top level Caddys or Lincolns, then the trunk opens higher.

This doesn't bother me at all--it's supposed to be a convenience so you don't have to physically open the trunk with a button or key.
Old 10-11-07, 02:15 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

It's a little awkward to open the trunk when you're using the button on the trunk as opposed to the button on the keyless entry device. If you use the keyless entry device trunk button the trunk does pop up a little bit, maybe a half inch. I guess I don't mind it too much, and I do like how easy it is to close, no need to slam it shut.
Old 10-11-07, 02:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I would like for it to "lift" by itself, but I'm o.k. with it...
Old 10-11-07, 03:15 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this is done on purpose as a safety feature. With the ability to unlock the trunk while driving with the dash button or fob, if it opened all the way while on the move you would lose the view to the rear. It’s sort of like why hoods don’t pop all the way up if you accidentally hit the release lever while driving.
Old 10-11-07, 03:20 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
I believe this is done on purpose as a safety feature. With the ability to unlock the trunk while driving with the dash button or fob, if it opened all the way while on the move you would lose the view to the rear. It’s sort of like why hoods don’t pop all the way up if you accidentally hit the release lever while driving.
Actually if the car is in motion the trunk won't open by pressing the button, I tried opening the trunk when I was pulling in to a gas station and it wouldn't open until I came to a complete stop.
Old 10-11-07, 03:22 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

actually, the trunk release buttons on both the dash and the remote are disabled once the car is in motion. so it is not the safety issue ..
Old 10-11-07, 03:23 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by r6z9r
Actually if the car is in motion the trunk won't open by pressing the button, I tried opening the trunk when I was pulling in to a gas station and it wouldn't open until I came to a complete stop.
Might even have to be in Park.
Old 10-11-07, 03:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by camerri
And the trunk itself seems kind of akward and heavy to open for me. Is there something wrong with my trunk or is this normal?
Anabolic steroids aren't just for men, just ask that M. Jones
Old 10-11-07, 03:35 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to have to say this, but that's BS!

Firstly no driver is stupid enough to pop the boot while doing 100mph.

Secondly, it is not as dangerous as the hood poping up while you are drivin, matter of fact, it's not dangerous at all cos you are not lookig backwards while driving the car forward. (I have floored a car and the hood flipped up and towards the windscreen, thanks to Christ for saving my life then).

Lastly, it's not a Camry, it's a Lexus, if the Camry has it open up 75%, why not our cars?

Let's face it, anyone who tells you that it's a safety feature that the boot don't open up is an imbacile.
Old 10-11-07, 04:11 PM
camerri
Rookie

Originally Posted by tex2670
What cars did you have previoulsy? That's how I've seen it in pretty much any entry level luxury car. When you start getting to LS, A8, even top level Caddys or Lincolns, then the trunk opens higher.

This doesn't bother me at all--it's supposed to be a convenience so you don't have to physically open the trunk with a button or key.
On my '02 Acura CL-S the trunk opened about 1/3 of the way and on my '06 Passat it opens all the way. I don't see how the level of luxury on the car makes a difference. On my mom's minivan the doors open with the push of a button.

Quick Reply: What's with the trunk?