IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone with Nav had any issues with the audio controls?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 02:38 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Has anyone with Nav had any issues with the audio controls?

Sorry for the somewhat long read, but I appreciate the help:

I have had my IS for about a year now, and very recently, the audio controls on the Nav unit have been going haywire. It's a very intermittent problem, and if it happens as rarely as it's been happening so far, it won't bother me.

But what happens is that occasionally the sound sorta goes in and out, or it just becomes weaker, or just certain speakers will become weaker/turn off temporarily. It sorta erratically changes states with some combination of the above problems for a while.

The other issue is that when this happens, all the audio controls are AWOL. I cannot change modes, I cannot change songs/radio stations, I cannot adjust the volume, and I cannot even turn the POWER OFF. Note that while this is happening, all the other functions of the Nav that I've tried work just fine (I think I might try making a call the next time this happens to see if it will let me do that, though).

So far, I think this has happened three times. Maybe once a week or so, but it has gotten slightly worse each time... so I'm a little worried. I'm also worried because I did both the Nav and the DVD-playback hack in January, and I installed the Vaistech iPod kit at the same time. There was never any issue for the first 7-8 months, though, so I kinda doubt that this problem is related to those changes... but I still think I would get a lot of hassle from the dealership about this being covered by warranty.

Has anyone run into an issue like this? Hopefully someone with a pristine Nav system?

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 10-12-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-12-07, 12:52 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

... Anybody?
Old 10-12-07, 12:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

havent done any mods to mine and i have had mine for a year now with none of these issues and i am hard on the car. navi gets used frequently and i have the ML.

good luck on your find.
Old 10-12-07, 01:05 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I had the car for more than a year now, it is still working properly...
Old 10-13-07, 07:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

When you did the Vaistech, were you careful to secure the connectors away from the transmission tunnel? Some people who didn't take that precaution have had problems with the connectors deforming from the heat, eventually causing the kind of symptoms you're experiencing.
Old 10-13-07, 08:59 AM
Foyler
Driver School Candidate

I had similar problems in my car after about 8-10 months but I had a vaistech unit installed. I brought it into the dealer, they checked it out, and replaced my whole radio for me (it was covered under warranty). They didn't mention the vaistech as being a problem at all and the issue was just listed as "internal failure" on the invoice. Hope that helps and good luck!

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Sorry for the somewhat long read, but I appreciate the help:

I have had my IS for about a year now, and very recently, the audio controls on the Nav unit have been going haywire. It's a very intermittent problem, and if it happens as rarely as it's been happening so far, it won't bother me.

But what happens is that occasionally the sound sorta goes in and out, or it just becomes weaker, or just certain speakers will become weaker/turn off temporarily. It sorta erratically changes states with some combination of the above problems for a while.

The other issue is that when this happens, all the audio controls are AWOL. I cannot change modes, I cannot change songs/radio stations, I cannot adjust the volume, and I cannot even turn the POWER OFF. Note that while this is happening, all the other functions of the Nav that I've tried work just fine (I think I might try making a call the next time this happens to see if it will let me do that, though).

So far, I think this has happened three times. Maybe once a week or so, but it has gotten slightly worse each time... so I'm a little worried. I'm also worried because I did both the Nav and the DVD-playback hack in January, and I installed the Vaistech iPod kit at the same time. There was never any issue for the first 7-8 months, though, so I kinda doubt that this problem is related to those changes... but I still think I would get a lot of hassle from the dealership about this being covered by warranty.

Has anyone run into an issue like this? Hopefully someone with a pristine Nav system?
Old 10-20-07, 08:10 AM
davidrossh
Driver School Candidate

I've got the same problem!!!
I've got a 2006 IS 250 AWD that started acting up last summer...the radio, on Sat. or FM, would just cut out...none of the audio switches would then work...if I tuned off the radio the "audio off" message on the Nav. screen would not appear for 30 - 90 seconds. After 10 - 90 min all audio comes back on always to the same pre-set AM station...this may last for a few minutes and then cut off again. The dealer has replaced the LEXSIR sat. radio unit w/ a newer Panasonic ( i think) unit, but the problem remains and is worse over the past several months. Yesterday when the radio cut off, none of my center console butoons (Nav. Climate..) worked, but function returned after 5 min. It's back in the shop now...this is like driving an old VW again
Old 10-20-07, 08:16 AM
davidrossh
Driver School Candidate

...also when the radio craps out, so does the bluetooth ( any call in process is dropped) and voice command does not work. THe last 3 times I took my IS in I couldnt replicate the problem...the service guys shrug and say "sorry..can't fix it if it aint broke."

I on the road alot and it sucks having these problems. a sympathetic service asst. mgr. took the car today and is going to call around to see if there is maybe a problem w/ the car's software or CPU

David
Old 10-20-07, 09:26 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i had 2 episodes with my 2 month old is350

the first time i had the car in a shop and with the assory power on and engine not running for about an hour.
when i started the car up and pulled out of the garage the XM was showing song names and stations like it normally does but no sound, turning the car off and starting it again solved the problem.

then about a few weeks later after the car sat parked for about an hour i started it up and drove off, everything fine for about 1 minute then bam! everything stopped, i couldnt get any of the buttons to work, the audio quit and when i tried to turn the radio off it turned the audio to an AM radio station but the display was froze where it had been, again i turned the car off and started it again and no problems after that.
it seems like sometimes it needs a reboot.
Old 10-20-07, 09:31 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
the first time i had the car in a shop and with the assory power on and engine not running for about an hour.
when i started the car up and pulled out of the garage the XM was showing song names and stations like it normally does but no sound, turning the car off and starting it again solved the problem.
This is known to happen. It happened to me about six months ago, and there are other people who had the same problem. Everything works except there is no audio. Only solution is turning off the engine and restarting. No known cause or permanent solution. Just a 'bug'.
Old 10-22-07, 10:35 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Is this happening for others that did not have XM/Sirius or the Nav-Hack done?
Old 10-22-07, 12:55 PM
taze
Driver School Candidate

every function of my system works EXCEPT cd or dvd's. i get no audio and no audio vol control. please see my thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=300340
i have nav hack but no sat tuner.
Old 10-22-07, 07:31 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i really dont think the hack has anything to do with it, the hack denies the unit a vehicle speed sensor which is exactly the same if your parked and if you did the dvd hack it has a ground signal that would be present if the ebrake was on.

obviously the units operation has somthing to do with the microprocessor malfunction and that could be as simple as a static shock which would explain why it doesnt happen very often.
Old 10-28-07, 09:13 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

davidrossh, did you do the Nav hack, and/or install the Vaistech unit?

Originally Posted by Bichon
When you did the Vaistech, were you careful to secure the connectors away from the transmission tunnel? Some people who didn't take that precaution have had problems with the connectors deforming from the heat, eventually causing the kind of symptoms you're experiencing.
I have heard about this, and I actually checked the other day to see if I could notice any deformation, but all seemed fine. I even checked right after I got home from a 3+ mile drive so that I could see if the unit was actually warm to the touch. Nothing felt abnormally hot at all.

I have the unit right under the shifter plate, between the left side of the shifter and the left wall. Do you think that would be a problem?