IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carputer in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07 | 12:49 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Default Carputer in our cars?

Just a thought. Could anyone possibly put a pc in our car with everything functioning from the factory navi unit? That would be great wouldn't it?
Old 10-12-07 | 01:06 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

there was someone that did that.
Old 10-12-07 | 02:19 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

With enough money you can mount a V-12 twin turbo midship set up. Anything is possible.
Old 10-12-07 | 02:28 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yeah the carputer with a hidden wifi antenna would be a sweet setup. This may be where we are headed anyway as public wifi expands and cars get more and more complex info/control/entertainment units. There's only so much a proprietary head will be able to do before beefier processors, more memory and bigger hard drives become requirements which a PC would be cheaper to use than building something from scratch. I'd like to slap something like a mac mini in the trunk with a wifi antenna and hook that up to the nav unit. For the programmers out there it would be nice if they had an API.
Old 10-12-07 | 04:09 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

I mean I know its possible to hook it up via navtv or something like that but I'm talking about it actually being able to hook like a touchscreen right on top of the navi screen or using the navi itself to control the mouse.
Old 10-12-07 | 04:19 PM
gyung
Pole Position

A dude with a Prius hooked up a Mac Mini to his touch screen, and he as able to use iTunes and all the good stuff.

Google "Mac Prius" - It should be similar
Old 10-12-07 | 08:08 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by gyung
A dude with a Prius hooked up a Mac Mini to his touch screen, and he as able to use iTunes and all the good stuff.

Google "Mac Prius" - It should be similar
I've seen that before but the one I read about was using this "CAN-view" interface that works for Prius only.

Originally Posted by danger4o5
I mean I know its possible to hook it up via navtv or something like that but I'm talking about it actually being able to hook like a touchscreen right on top of the navi screen or using the navi itself to control the mouse.
That's exactly what I want to do too. I looked at the solutions that are on the market (nav-tv) and from what I can tell they can't hook into the touchscreen. They all seem to use the backup camera video input to feed video.

I was thinking about a different approach but I don't know how feasible this would be... What I'd like to do is place a KVM switch between the LCD Display and touch screen and the factory nav. That's what I'd like to do, but I'm sure there are numerous barriers in the way of that, I sure there isn't a DVI or VGA interface on the LCD probably a LVDS or TTL interface that would need conversion, the touchscreen controller, hopefully that is outside the computer in some outboard module that has a serial interface that I could insert myself in front of, but if not?
I'm afraid to open the thing up and break things (in addition to being lazy) to find out what technologies and things are in there to find out how difficult or impossible it would be to hook into all of that downstream from the nav computer brain.
Old 10-12-07 | 10:47 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

I have the perfect name for the option... "NAVIMAC"....love the sound $$$ of that! lol.
Old 10-13-07 | 09:54 AM
Axvel
Driver

http://www.mp3car.com/
Old 10-13-07 | 10:37 AM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Axvel
That's where my idea came from Axvel
Old 10-13-07 | 03:25 PM
shyishguy
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=Windows+XP

Old 10-13-07 | 07:00 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

That hack is hooked in through the backup camera video input only and not into the touchscreen. See how it says "Check surroundings for safety". Still a pretty good result though.

What danger4o5 wants to do is also hook into the touchscreen. I've searched all of mp3car.com a couple of weeks ago but I didn't see anyone do this particular modification to a late model Lexus. I saw a couple posts of people asking about something similar for Lexus and I only saw responses to those posts that said helpful things like: "You will most likely have better luck with Google and clublexus.com"
Someone on mp3car.com did hook into a 2006 Acura TL navigation LCD and touchscreen in this way:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/95276-2006-acura-tl-oem-navi-touchscreen-integration.html

I've yet to see hacks into the stock nav LCD and touchscreen for anything but an Acura or Prius.
Old 10-14-07 | 08:55 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
That hack is hooked in through the backup camera video input only and not into the touchscreen. See how it says "Check surroundings for safety". Still a pretty good result though.

What danger4o5 wants to do is also hook into the touchscreen. I've searched all of mp3car.com a couple of weeks ago but I didn't see anyone do this particular modification to a late model Lexus. I saw a couple posts of people asking about something similar for Lexus and I only saw responses to those posts that said helpful things like: "You will most likely have better luck with Google and clublexus.com"
Someone on mp3car.com did hook into a 2006 Acura TL navigation LCD and touchscreen in this way:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/95276-2006-acura-tl-oem-navi-touchscreen-integration.html

I've yet to see hacks into the stock nav LCD and touchscreen for anything but an Acura or Prius.
Good info. Some genius find a way. =D
Old 10-14-07 | 09:40 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Windows.......really?.......I wouldn't want to blue screen my whole car.....