IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Obsidian w/ Black vs. Obsidian w/ Sterling

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 02:38 PM
avex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obsidian w/ Black vs. Obsidian w/ Sterling

I need some advice/suggestions on an interior color for my special order Obsidian Black IS350. I need to choose either Black or Sterling for an interior color.

Can someone direct me to some good photos of an IS with these color combinations???

Anyone have a well-reasonsed recommendation? My thinking is that black on black may be a bit too much black, so I'm leaning toward Sterling...
Old 10-15-07, 02:44 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely black!
Black looks more luxurious,IMO.
Old 10-15-07, 02:52 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I'd suggest a trip to your dealership if you haven't done so already. At my dealership, there seems to be more sterling interiors available than black. I have obsidian/black and I like it like that. But it really comes down to personal preference when it comes to color combinations. To me the sterling interior would seem to be more likely to get dirty faster (at least visibly so).
Old 10-15-07, 03:24 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisyano
To me the sterling interior would seem to be more likely to get dirty faster (at least visibly so).
I have always insisted on black interior, my 350 is the first car I've owned with sterling interior, absolutely love it...
I don't notice it being any dirtier, but black leather seats do seem to show signs of wear faster. The only time I notice the sterling colored interior pieces being dirty is when people of the female persuasion put their feet all over it!
Old 10-15-07, 03:28 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I've ordered my IS350 with Obsidian and Sterling. Its a sport pack and doesn't come with the bird's eye maple (wood grain). I plan on installing the Carbon kit from www.car-gym.com . I planned this out and I think the gray with the black carbon and silver accents would look amazing. The wood looks good only on the black and ivory interiors. IMO, it looks horrible in the grey interiors. The GS is available with the dark grey wood interior in the models with grey interior. It looks like a perfect match but this option isn't available in the IS line.

Another reason why I've ordered the grey would be the black won't show dirt. However, your light colored clothes might get dirty since you can't see it on the black interior. Plus, here in TX we have a lot of heat and the grey would seem a little cooler than the black.

-Joe
Old 10-15-07, 03:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Black/Black >> Black/Sterling.
Old 10-15-07, 05:07 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Giggity
I don't notice it being any dirtier, but black leather seats do seem to show signs of wear faster.
I can see how black leather would do that.

The only time I notice the sterling colored interior pieces being dirty is when people of the female persuasion put their feet all over it!
Why oh why do they do that? It's usually the dash for me though.
Old 10-15-07, 06:06 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

I thought about getting black w/sterling, but the dealer here didn't stock it, plus I thought it was lighter then what I was looking for. The roof panel and silver inserts (even with the wood option) in the interior help to break up the black leather interior. My last car was black with a light gray interior that i loved, but the sterling was just too light for me.
Old 10-16-07, 04:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You will get many different answers based on personal preference. I have Sterling in my Tungsten IS--I love it (sorry, no pix; try a broad search on cars.com, and you'll find lots of pix). The leather is gray, but the carpets are black (compared to the Cashmere, where the carpets are tan), and I think it looks great. All the pix I saw on the internet of the Sterling made the gray look like a lighter shade than it really is, so if you can see it in person, do so.
Old 10-16-07, 08:32 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

The sterling and wood (kind of reddish) don't work all that well together, IMO. Dark exterior and light interior looks good but is the hardest to keep up.
Old 10-16-07, 09:35 PM
avex
Rookie

Thanks for the cars.com tip. The only problem there is that most dealers don't distinguish between "Obsidian Black" and "Black Onyx" (which is really dark blue). I also can't figure out the carpet color. Do all cars with Sterling leather have black carpets, or do some have grey carpets???

Originally Posted by tex2670
You will get many different answers based on personal preference. I have Sterling in my Tungsten IS--I love it (sorry, no pix; try a broad search on cars.com, and you'll find lots of pix). The leather is gray, but the carpets are black (compared to the Cashmere, where the carpets are tan), and I think it looks great. All the pix I saw on the internet of the Sterling made the gray look like a lighter shade than it really is, so if you can see it in person, do so.
Old 10-16-07, 09:53 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

choose BLACK... no question about it. I have a 2IS black on black and it blows me away every time i get in it.
Old 10-30-07, 09:03 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Blackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Old 10-31-07, 04:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by avex
Thanks for the cars.com tip. The only problem there is that most dealers don't distinguish between "Obsidian Black" and "Black Onyx" (which is really dark blue). I also can't figure out the carpet color. Do all cars with Sterling leather have black carpets, or do some have grey carpets???
All Sterling have black carpets, which I like. Apparently, for '08, Lexus is doing the same thing with the carpets in Cashmere interior.