IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I (Technique) took my car to the Lexus dealer for service!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07 | 01:08 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Default I (Technique) took my car to the Lexus dealer for service!

Yes, at 13,500 miles, I decided I wanted some warranty work done. I had the following performed:

- Replaced sunroof motor (warranty)
This is the reason I went to the dealership. Ever since I got my car, the "tilt" on the moonroof has never worked properly. And, since about 2 weeks ago, the sunroof would not close unless I physically pushed it shut. So, I decided to have it fixed.

So, since I was at the dealer, I figured I'd get a few other things taken care of:
- Free Brake pads (TSIB)
My brake pads were almost totally worn down so I decided the free pads would be a nice.

- Free Virginia State Inspection (Complimentary at dealer)

- Fix center speaker and all other dash rattles with insulating foam (warranty)
When I dropped my car off, I talked to the technician and asked him a few questions to test his knowledge of the IS. He had obviously taken apart dozens, if not 100s, of dashes apart so he passed my test. I asked him how many IS dashes he has taken apart to insulate and he said "about 200-300, these cars are very rattle prone because of the poor insulation around the vents" <-- BINGO!!!

Took 1.5 days, I got an IS250 loaner during that time. When I picked my car up everything was great, no rattles, dash was tight, etc... Only have a few complaints:

1) They unplugged my battery which reset everything. <-- They did NOT tell me they would do this, I assume they did it because of replacing the sunroof motor

2) The clock time was wrong (because of the battery reset)

3) The seat belt chime was activate again! (because of the battery reset)

I disabled the seat belt chime right there in the dealer pick-up lane, and fixed my clock. The valets were all gathered around my car because I had videos playing on my nav screen and when I told them I disabled the seat belt chime in 20 seconds like that they said "That's great!!!"

Finally, I plopped in a brand new hybrid Nav DVD I made with 2008 maps (V7.1) and the upgraded V6.1 V1600 firmware with satellite bug fixes but STILL has the software override. I unplugged the TV fuse, it reset perfectly, and I demonstrated the override to everyone. I got a round of applause!!

Anyway, it was a good experience, maybe I'll go back again next year if there are any TSIB's worth the time, and it's nice to get a free state inspection.
Old 10-16-07 | 01:16 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

You deserve this...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 10-16-07 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Just got a better sized cookie...
Old 10-16-07 | 01:17 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

What's hybrid Nav DVD? Is it a DVD-R you burned?
Old 10-16-07 | 01:23 PM
andyroo
Driver

Wow, can I get a cookie too?
Old 10-16-07 | 01:31 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

which lexus dealer did you take it to?

Last edited by TLe2006; 10-16-07 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-16-07 | 01:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by andyroo
Wow, can I get a cookie too?
Here you go:

Old 10-16-07 | 01:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Technique
Anyway, it was a good experience, maybe I'll go back again next year if there are any TSIB's worth the time, and it's nice to get a free state inspection.
Glad to hear that the Dealer experience went well. It's good to hear positive things like this happen. It's a plus that you're such a well informed consumer...
Old 10-16-07 | 01:39 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

**AsianGirl007 looks around**

Okay, who are you and what did you do with Technique?

Old 10-16-07 | 01:41 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Technique, time to update your sig . . .
Old 10-16-07 | 02:24 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

I 'fear' having to disconnect my battery...I don't want to have to reset everything...Did in change all the LPS as well? Seems they could/should have something that captures these settings and then reloads them when they are done with the work..I remember something you used to be able to get...plug it into the cig lighhter..now known as a power port that would keep enough juice in the system not to reset things like clock time, etc.

With all the electronic gizmos on cars these days it would be nice if they could keep our settings.

When I had my nav dvd replaced for the 'driving through fiields' issues..they didnt' even set it to the right US zone..didn't figure it out until I tried to input a POI by name and it couldn't find it...
Old 10-16-07 | 03:21 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I was waiting for you to say that when they looked at the sunroof the tech said, “Ah HAH, you’ve hacked your nav. No warranty work for you. Now get out of here before I call the cops.”
Old 10-17-07 | 12:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

" # of visits to dealer since pickup: 1 "

Glad to hear you had a great 1st experience...

I have yet to go back to address some minor issues, like you I can not deal with "other" careless people working on my car...
There is only one Lexus Tech I trust, but he's working about 6 hours north of me now..

Quick question on your hybrid dvd... Do you still have to hit the "I agree" button ?? or do you know have the 5 sec caution screen like us 08's?

Thanks
Joe Z
Old 10-17-07 | 07:17 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

haha, thats a lot less than me

1) Oil service
2) DRL remove
3) Oil Service
4) Brake TSIB
5) Check for engine grind noise... couldnt find surprise surprise.

I have to go back for the grind noise again.
Hopefully they dont get upset about the miles I put on the car =)

Later I will go in for the rear mirror shake
Old 10-17-07 | 07:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by ThoLe
which lexus dealer did you take it to?
Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Glad to hear that the Dealer experience went well. It's good to hear positive things like this happen. It's a plus that you're such a well informed consumer...
Ya, I'm glad too... I was pleasantly surprised! hehe... Oh, and thanks for providing cookies for everyone

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
**AsianGirl007 looks around**

Okay, who are you and what did you do with Technique?

hehe, they dealership brainwashed him!

Originally Posted by socalJD
Technique, time to update your sig . . .
Done!

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
I 'fear' having to disconnect my battery...I don't want to have to reset everything...Did in change all the LPS as well? Seems they could/should have something that captures these settings and then reloads them when they are done with the work..I remember something you used to be able to get...plug it into the cig lighhter..now known as a power port that would keep enough juice in the system not to reset things like clock time, etc.

With all the electronic gizmos on cars these days it would be nice if they could keep our settings.

When I had my nav dvd replaced for the 'driving through fiields' issues..they didnt' even set it to the right US zone..didn't figure it out until I tried to input a POI by name and it couldn't find it...
Ya, that's basically what I'm thinking, is that if they are going to reset your system, they should at least say "We reset your system, so make sure and change your clock back, and any other settings you wanted"

As far as LPS, I don't know... The only thing I changed was when I touch the door handle, all 4 doors open instead of just the driver door... I'll check today and see if that's changed... But I know that my bluetooth phone settings were still there...

Originally Posted by Magellan
I was waiting for you to say that when they looked at the sunroof the tech said, “Ah HAH, you’ve hacked your nav. No warranty work for you. Now get out of here before I call the cops.”
hehehe... Imagine the mayhem that would follow that episoide

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Quick question on your hybrid dvd... Do you still have to hit the "I agree" button ?? or do you know have the 5 sec caution screen like us 08's?

Thanks
Joe Z
I was using just the regular 2008 DVD for a while, and I decided that I actually PREFER the "I agree" screen better... So with my hybrid dvd, I have the "I agree" button... The only way to have the 5-sec caution screen is with the 08 firmware... I have the 06 1/2 firmware with 08 maps...

The reason I prefer "I agree" is because I hit "DEST" then "I agree" within 1 second, then start entering destinations... I don't like having to be forced to wait 5 seconds for the warning screen... Just my personal preference... (Well, I'd prefer no screen at all, but, you know...)
Old 10-17-07 | 07:22 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

How did you get the 08 disc? Im lost

Quick Reply: I (Technique) took my car to the Lexus dealer for service!