IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 or G37

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 05:26 PM
ShadowGS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own an '05 G35 coupe and to be honest, I found the IS350 to be a much more enjoyable and sporty drive than the G37. I was profoundly disappointed after my test drive of the G37. My G35 is a much more visceral drive. If it were me choosing between the G37 and IS350, I'd go with the IS350 hands down.
Old 10-23-07, 12:10 AM
RHS7787
Driver School Candidate

I happen to love both cars. I have been shopping around for my friend who was considering an IS350 and the G37 and she went with the G37 because of price. She leased and lexus wanted $600/month+ for IS350 w/nav. She got a much better deal on the g37. Has most of the same features as the IS minus the cooling seats.

While I do prefer the body style of the g35 coupe over the g37, they definitely improved the interior.
Old 10-23-07, 06:31 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShadowIS30
I currently own an '05 G35 coupe and to be honest, I found the IS350 to be a much more enjoyable and sporty drive than the G37. I was profoundly disappointed after my test drive of the G37. My G35 is a much more visceral drive. If it were me choosing between the G37 and IS350, I'd go with the IS350 hands down.
+1. I did go drive the G37 and I have driven the '07 G35 sedan, and what I cannot figure out is that the G35s drives harder and louder then the G37s coupe that I was testing. One would have thought that Infiniti would have made the G35 sedan softer and quieter, but instead they made the coupe as such. It's a very nice vehicle; but they still feel cheep and not in the same class as Lexus IMO, and it’s nothing that would make me go back to owning a Nissan.

IS350 all the way
Old 10-23-07, 08:45 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Haven't we done this thread before? Can someone post a link to it. Thanks
Yes, here it is:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=303123

I agree with those who say it's hard to get objective comments regarding the G37 on an IS forum. But I will say I love my new G37.
Old 10-23-07, 09:12 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
Yes, here it is:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=303123

I agree with those who say it's hard to get objective comments regarding the G37 on an IS forum. But I will say I love my new G37.
You are getting objective comments.....from people who mostly chose the IS. It is possible to give honest, objective opinions about a product even on a forum populated mostly by fans of the competition.

We were all objective shoppers at one point. I had no preconceptions either way when I started shopping. I spent time in and around both cars (and others), and I objectively decided that the IS was a better car for me. So I bought one. Just because I now own an IS doesn't mean I can't be objective about it and the competition. I'll be the first to point out the flaws in the IS.

Now, how many times did I use a form of 'objective'? I was going for 5....
Old 10-23-07, 02:47 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
You are getting objective comments.....from people who mostly chose the IS. It is possible to give honest, objective opinions about a product even on a forum populated mostly by fans of the competition.
Well, I agree with you. But there are few who are not that objective around here, like those who think the G37 is just another Altima coupe, or the poster who didn’t think 330 hp was a big deal, or the one poster who said, “I personally think the G37 is ugly on the outside, they screwed up a great design.” I don’t find that particularly objective, when you consider the differences with the G35 coupe are subtle at best.

It’s the old story. Over on the G37 forum they usually put down the IS350. But both are great cars. It’s a matter of personal preference, need and price.
Old 10-23-07, 03:55 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Well, I agree with you. But there are few who are not that objective around here, like those who think the G37 is just another Altima coupe, or the poster who didn’t think 330 hp was a big deal, or the one poster who said, “I personally think the G37 is ugly on the outside, they screwed up a great design.” I don’t find that particularly objective, when you consider the differences with the G35 coupe are subtle at best.

It’s the old story. Over on the G37 forum they usually put down the IS350. But both are great cars. It’s a matter of personal preference, need and price.
Well, though I don't by any measure think that the altima is the same as the G, they do share pretty much the same sheet metal and look very similar. If I were in the market for an altima, that would be great. If I was spending significantly more for the G, I would be pissed.

It has also been awhile since I was in a nissan, but I wasn't very impressed even with the updated G as it compares to the Nissan interiors that I remember. Again, people who love the G can probably get over these shortcomings, but I couldn't if it was my money.

Finally, I agree that calling 1st gen G better looking that 2nd gen G is a bit ludicrous, though I, for one, wish they have been less 'subtle' with the redesign.

$.02
Old 10-23-07, 04:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Someone bought a G37 at work and I see it everyday. Now that I see it more often if I were in a market for a new Infiniti I would probably pick the sedan over the coupe.
Old 10-23-07, 05:26 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
It has also been awhile since I was in a nissan, but I wasn't very impressed even with the updated G as it compares to the Nissan interiors that I remember. Again, people who love the G can probably get over these shortcomings, but I couldn't if it was my money.
Now there you go, a restrained, but still a jab at the G. Suppose I had written:

“It has also been awhile since I was in a Toyota, but I wasn't very impressed even with the updated IS as it compares to the Toyota interiors that I remember. Again, people who love the IS can probably get over these shortcomings, but I couldn't if it was my money.”

See, an Infiniti owner woudl never use the word Nissan if he could help it. For $42K I never want anyone to think I'm driving an Altima coupe.
Old 10-23-07, 06:05 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Now there you go, a restrained, but still a jab at the G. Suppose I had written:

“It has also been awhile since I was in a Toyota, but I wasn't very impressed even with the updated IS as it compares to the Toyota interiors that I remember. Again, people who love the IS can probably get over these shortcomings, but I couldn't if it was my money.”

See, an Infiniti owner woudl never use the word Nissan if he could help it. For $42K I never want anyone to think I'm driving an Altima coupe.
I wouldn't have a problem with that statement. That's your opinion, and it's fine with me that you have it. Just because we may not agree does not make either of our opinions any less objective.
Old 10-23-07, 06:18 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Actually , when i was browsing around there one day. Most of them actually liked the IS. I didnt see much negative comments