IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whatever happened to "the flash" or "the wave"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 04:14 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I agree 100%. Around my area, there're plenty of IS' (mainly 250's) and once in a while, I'll see a 350 and I look over to see some middle-aged person driving it. I'm not discriminating age or anything but these middle-aged people look like they know nothing about modding a car. They look like they're just interested in getting to their destination so I don't even bother waving or anything.

If I lived in an area where there're more modified IS' driven by younger folks, I would definitely wave or give the sign.
haha its funny that you mention that... when people see me driving my IS350 around they are more like wow is this kid even old enough to drive...cause I look a few years younger than I actually am -.- even the lexus dealer guy asked if i was old enough to be driving and then asked if the car was mine >.>
Old 10-19-07, 05:33 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I agree 100%. Around my area, there're plenty of IS' (mainly 250's) and once in a while, I'll see a 350 and I look over to see some middle-aged person driving it. I'm not discriminating age or anything but these middle-aged people look like they know nothing about modding a car. They look like they're just interested in getting to their destination so I don't even bother waving or anything...
Careful, define 'middle-aged'. Of course if you're a hot chick (esp in SoCal), every guy I know (young or old) will certainly smile or waive back. . .
Old 10-19-07, 06:15 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about you guys but when I see another IS (doesn't matter what year) I get a rush knowing that my car is that beautiful. In the DFW area most of them just do a double take but no flashing or waving here.
Old 10-19-07, 06:21 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree 100%. Around my area, there're plenty of IS' (mainly 250's) and once in a while, I'll see a 350 and I look over to see some middle-aged person driving it. I'm not discriminating age or anything but these middle-aged people look like they know nothing about modding a car. They look like they're just interested in getting to their destination so I don't even bother waving or anything.

If I lived in an area where there're more modified IS' driven by younger folks, I would definitely wave or give the sign.
Hey!!!! Middle aged??? Which is what age to you? My 34 yr old azz is probably middle aged, but I have modded my car tastefully(all relative).

Now about the wave. My arm would be so damn tired after driving around the block.. I swear I think if you live in 75204 its mandatory that you get an IS/or bmw 3 series, and apartment somewhere in uptown. I don't think you can renew your license with out one of those two cars here.
Old 10-19-07, 06:31 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With age comes wisdom...we 'middle age' folks have been there done that when it comes to modification. We have spent the money..encountered the issues with mods (like damn..those tires wear out fast when you do a big drop). We also have other priorities that spend money on modification of our rides...like paying a mortgage, paying for kids education, saving for retirement, taking care of elderly parents.

That being said..I just put a set of Work wheels on my 06 and will be dropping it next week...just about enough mods for me

So you young 'ens enjoy it while you can!

Also, I find it interesting to find posts about all the IS's in your area. I live in the Portland OR area...and rarely see another IS.
Old 10-19-07, 07:38 PM
genki
Pole Position

eddo1

i was kind of surprised looking at this thread at first. didint know i saw a fellow CL member on 19th ave 9am early in the morning. haha. yeah a CL sticker would be great. I love how the white IS stands out from traffic. just love the colour. Theres definitely a LOT of IS's in the bay area, cant give everyone a wave!
Old 10-19-07, 08:09 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no waves for me... jus peace signs and the head nods. I leave the waves when I'm out riding on my bike.
Old 10-19-07, 09:13 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

LOL! Calm down people! I really didn't mean anything by "middle-aged" and when I say middle aged, I'm talking about 45+. I, myself am 31 so I'm in no place to call anyone old! It's just that the IS drivers that I see, they look like the type that wouldn't have a clue what a "mod" is. I think if I were to wave at them, they'd prob think I'm crazy.

Kind of on a related topic, does anyone else speed up to another IS that they see on the road, just to see who's driving it? I always do that in my area, hoping to catch a CL member so that I can post it in the "spotted" thread. It's easy to recognize me since I've got the CL decal on both sides of my rear windows.
Old 10-19-07, 09:18 PM
patrick415
Driver School Candidate

I am usually on Sloat crossing 19th Ave on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays a little before 9am. I see one or two IS' each time and often wonder if they are CL member! I agree....we need stickers!!! I am also "Middle Aged" at 34 and am driving WEST on my way to drop my son off at his preschool!
Old 10-19-07, 09:27 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Cool

LOL! Calm down people! I really didn't mean anything by "middle-aged" and when I say middle aged, I'm talking about 45+. I, myself am 31 so I'm in no place to call anyone old! It's just that the IS drivers that I see, they look like the type that wouldn't have a clue what a "mod" is. I think if I were to wave at them, they'd prob think I'm crazy.

Kind of on a related topic, does anyone else speed up to another IS that they see on the road, just to see who's driving it? I always do that in my area, hoping to catch a CL member so that I can post it in the "spotted" thread. It's easy to recognize me since I've got the CL decal on both sides of my rear windows.
I don't think anybody took offense..I certainly didn't. But don't think you can tell by what someone looks like if they know what a mod is.

BTW 'Mod' is a term from the 60's Far out man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28lifestyle%29

Last edited by sjgIS350; 10-19-07 at 09:38 PM. Reason: link to Mod
Old 10-19-07, 09:31 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

That and people think there better than everyone else so they dont bother aknowledging others.
Old 10-19-07, 09:48 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

I do that mainly for IS350s... but sometimes they think i am following them or something so they start gunning it to try and lose me lol...