IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whatever happened to "the flash" or "the wave"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 12:25 PM
eddo1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whatever happened to "the flash" or "the wave"?

First of all, let me say I'm not that old. When I got my first car -300zx in 1994, I've noticed many other fellow Z owners hi beaming me or waving, just because we drive the same car and are "enthusiast". Was a nice feeling, sense of community and proud we drive the same cars. Well, today, I just happened to be driving with another IS350 this am for about 15 minutes, thru 280 and 19th ave, sometimes following him and sometimes him following me. I was looking over to wave when he passed but he never looked or acknowledged. I was a little disappointed. Just ranting, but if ever a white IS hi beams you its probably just me saying "hi, you got a nice car!"
Old 10-19-07, 12:31 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road Rage 'Why the H is this guy flashing me'..Pull out gun and shoot..sign of the times
Old 10-19-07, 12:36 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Last time I waved to somebody they gave me "the finger". I have no idea what response this woman would have had to the high-beam treatment. Perhaps, that, as a previous posted suggested, is what the Glock in the glove box is for.

Last edited by CRB; 10-19-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 12:52 PM
BucBaby
Pole Position

The other day I passed a really nice black IS350. We got stopped at a light and I put my hand out the window and gave a "thumbs up". The lady in the car rolled down her window, stuck her head out of the window and looked up into the sky. So I stuck my head out, smiled, pointed at her car and then did the "thumbs up" again. She turned her head sideways and looked up again. Finally I yelled, "NICE CAR!" She smiled and then gave me a thumbs up. That was way too much work. She better get used to the looks. We don't have that many IS250's around here.
Old 10-19-07, 12:56 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Last time anyone flashed their highbeams at me was to warn me of a cop farther down the canyon i was heading into. It was a nice warning. But as far as other IS drivers...not so much. Might be beacuse they are way common in these parts of LA.
Old 10-19-07, 01:27 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eddo1
First of all, let me say I'm not that old. When I got my first car -300zx in 1994, I've noticed many other fellow Z owners hi beaming me or waving, just because we drive the same car and are "enthusiast". Was a nice feeling, sense of community and proud we drive the same cars.
I think you nailed it right there: the 300ZX is a car purchased by enthusiasts, while the ISX50 is decidedly not.

I'd suspect that most IS owners (outside of the forum) are simply not "car people." They needed something to get from Point A to Point B, had an income that allowed a bit of luxury, knew that Lexus was a good brand, and perhaps liked the styling of the IS.

They probably wouldn't know automotive passion if it hit them over the head, and that's likely why your display of enthusiasm for the IS is lost on them.
Old 10-19-07, 01:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Recluse
I think you nailed it right there: the 300ZX is a car purchased by enthusiasts, while the ISX50 is decidedly not.

I'd suspect that most IS owners (outside of the forum) are simply not "car people." They needed something to get from Point A to Point B, had an income that allowed a bit of luxury, knew that Lexus was a good brand, and perhaps liked the styling of the IS.

They probably wouldn't know automotive passion if it hit them over the head, and that's likely why your display of enthusiasm for the IS is lost on them.
^^^ Exactly.
Old 10-19-07, 01:44 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

i guesss the same goes for the GS..
wen i try pulling up to one..they run away..

:-\

ddo i make them feel inferior?
Wait..im stock too..nevermind...lolll
Old 10-19-07, 01:46 PM
genki
Pole Position

Was that you? were you heading towards golden gate park? i was driving a black is350. i was beside you for a couple of minutes i think near sloat blvd. about 9am? i was heading to school was in a rush. was that me u did see? sorry if i didint wave back!
Old 10-19-07, 01:50 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

If you want owners of the same model to wave at you, buy a Jeep Wrangler. Seriously. One of my friends used to own one, and the Jeep wave was almost mandatory.
Old 10-19-07, 01:55 PM
andyroo
Driver

whenever someone high beams me while i'm driving the IS i take it offensive, but when i'm in my friends mini coupe or something that many people don't drive i take it as "the flash/wave", but hey, the only reason i take offense is because the IS is such a fast nice looking car
Old 10-19-07, 02:51 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

If I see another modded IS, then I'll wave or give a thumbs up. There are to many ISs driving around down here by people who are not enthusiasts. A wave to them would be either taken the wrong way or like waving to the wall.
Old 10-19-07, 03:42 PM
eddo1
Driver

genki,

Ha! ha! that was you?! Yep, heading towards GG park around 9am. Yep, that dirty grayish IS was me. Nice IS, all black with tints all around, I thought I saw the Borlas. Sounds nice! I think we need some identification for CL members so we can recognize each other...(like CL stickers!) No prob, I figured you might be in a rush, I'm just talking about everyone in general.
Old 10-19-07, 04:00 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Yeah, there are just too many people that aren't enthusiasts driving this car.
Old 10-19-07, 04:05 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Recluse

I agree 100%. Around my area, there're plenty of IS' (mainly 250's) and once in a while, I'll see a 350 and I look over to see some middle-aged person driving it. I'm not discriminating age or anything but these middle-aged people look like they know nothing about modding a car. They look like they're just interested in getting to their destination so I don't even bother waving or anything.

If I lived in an area where there're more modified IS' driven by younger folks, I would definitely wave or give the sign.

Quick Reply: Whatever happened to "the flash" or "the wave"?