IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

leave front plates on or should i buy some bumper plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 05:03 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maz
Write your congressman to change the laws. Its a democracy isn't it?
Yep, helmet laws have been overturned in many states. If you get properly organized things can happen.

My IS was already drilled for plates, so it is no big deal to me. I just use a nice carbon fiber plate frame. And I don't have to worry about the police pulling me over because of no plate, or too dark a tint. If you stay within the law it makes it easier and you don't have to sweat it every time you see a cop.
Old 10-20-07, 05:49 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well when a cop pulls you over they will probably look at other things like illegal tint...which is a big thing with cops in california...
Old 10-20-07, 06:59 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Maybe I have been lucky but I have owned a Acura Integra GSR with pretty dark window tint and no front plate. It was STOCK. Not one of your typical riced out gsr's with a huge loud exhaust can.

I've got pulled over for speeding, red light, and at lax once. NEVER a cop questioned my tint or not having a front plate on. I have owned this car for 8+ years.

The key is to keep your car elegent and looking stock.

Of course if you mod the hell out of your car then you are going to get unwanted attention from cops and regular citizens.

I for one as long as I drive I am never going to have a front plate on any of my cars.
Old 10-20-07, 09:16 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Yep, helmet laws have been overturned in many states. If you get properly organized things can happen.
Yeah, and do it quickly before that old guy, who isn't looking, rams you and spews your gray matter all over the street. Then your mother and our tax dollars can keep you going on life support for many years.

After all, it's a free country, isn't it?
Old 10-20-07, 09:27 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fantom
Yeah, and do it quickly before that old guy, who isn't looking, rams you and spews your gray matter all over the street. Then your mother and our tax dollars can keep you going on life support for many years.

After all, it's a free country, isn't it?
Eh, ok. But I don't know what that has to do with my original post.

Whether you agree with helmet laws or not, the point of my post was laws can be changed. If front plates aggravate you get a plan together and get the law overturned. No need to hate.
Old 10-20-07, 09:51 PM
cneeley
Rookie

I hate front license plates but being in California, definitely advise having one on. It's just another reason to get pulled over... I was pulled over 4 times in 2 weeks in 3 different counties for having no front lp but haven't since (that was two years ago).
Old 10-20-07, 10:16 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
No need to hate.
Very right!!!

I've lost two friends because they weren't wearing head protection, so it hit a nerve. You are correct about organizing to legally change laws.
Old 10-20-07, 10:22 PM
Extreme437
Pole Position

I paid about 500 to have my plate removed, the holes filled, and the bumper repainted. Definitely worth the money!
Old 10-20-07, 11:20 PM
702/350
Driver

Originally Posted by Shoganai
No plates.... have the clean look
Ditto
Old 10-21-07, 03:07 AM
trant01
Rookie

Originally Posted by Extreme437
I paid about 500 to have my plate removed, the holes filled, and the bumper repainted. Definitely worth the money!
You know for 500 you could have bought a brand new bumper without the holes.
Old 10-21-07, 08:24 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I live in Cali and every since I started driving I never had a front plate on any of my cars, 10+ yrs. IS being plateless is the way to go

The front end of the IS is to sexy to have some ugly plate on it!
I agree!! The IS looks way better without a front plate. And so what if you get a little fix it ticket once in a great while, it's no big deal, you put the plate back on, get signed off, then take it off again!
Old 10-21-07, 08:49 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about time with me. I hate wasting time going to the station for the fix it ticket. Cops can stop you for a minor violation and let you go with a warning but if he/she sees something ie illegal tints, no plates, etc..then you'll get a ticket.

Happens all the time. Some1 gets a warning for a minor violation but gets a ticket for illegal mod.

And if you have to put the plates back you'll have to drill holes. If that is the case I think it's best to put the bumper plugs rather than filling the holes.
Old 10-21-07, 11:47 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Extreme437
wow i'm so glad I told my dealer not to drill.

Longo Lexus was giving me such a hard time about it. My car was at the port. I told my saleswoman for them not to drill. And she made it out to be such a big deal, thats its the law, and she is going to have to be there at 7am and tell them not to do it , etc.

I told her when I pick up my new car and it has holes in it I'm not buying it!
Old 10-21-07, 03:42 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I would have thought about telling the dealer not drill or no deal.

At least I wish Lexus had a better method of attaching the front plate than drilling. Something like they did on the back with threaded receivers behind the body panel...Honda did it on the S2000. When I had that car I pulled the front plate and got color matched plugs from the dealer.

My holes on my IS are so damn ugly (plus the clear bra went on after the drilling..compound the ugliness) that I don't think any plus smaller than a quarter will fix it..
Old 10-21-07, 04:06 PM
truoutkast
Pole Position

i'm so glad i didnt get my bumper drilled.....it's clean right now...smooth...no holes or whatsoever..according to the thread topic...KEEP IT OFF...but again, the only way for you to get a ticket is if you're doing something crazy like...speeding? alot of time, cops don't waste their time to pull u over just for license plate alone. they'll find other stuff wrong....but again, i could be wrong.

Quick Reply: leave front plates on or should i buy some bumper plugs?