IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

my vehicle was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 08:52 PM
ohnoitsmo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
Don't you think having a lo jack system will be easier than having a hidden cellphone in your car???
alot of professional theives know how to disarm lojack nowadays
good idea is it expensive to have to pay for the extra phone every month?
Old 10-22-07, 08:56 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohnoitsmo
Excatly, theive can take everything off like disconnect alarm, cut the club, and other.. There is no way to prevent thieve stop stealing car.. I rather cut theive hands off because it is easier for them not stealing without hands..
Old 10-22-07, 09:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

the phone has a standby battery life of about a week or two so i would have to recharge the phone for a couple of hours every ten days.

please see the link on how the gps feature on the phone works. the nav system in our 2is is not compatible and cannot be used to track the car. yes lojack is probably better overall but it has limitations as well.

i am almost sure the thief was armed, i heard with a sawed off shotgun. i was aware of this before i started out. i cannot say why it did not deter me but i can tell you this: the thief does not know me and has never seen me or my car before. the only time i was scared was when we specifically drove towards a known location to check to see if the thief and the car were actually there at the time according to one of his friends. as i said, we called the police to go with us or meet us there and they said call us when you see the car.

can't say more about how the car was stolen except the thief had the car key, he stole that too. i have recovered that key.

looking back, i say i would do it again, but i would be better prepared. and i know how to better deal with police. i learned some things on how to be more prepared and ready but i can't get into those details. bottom line is the police didn't appear to want to help much at first, they asked too many questions and hesitated. i was so afraid the car would leave the state or get destroyed and ditched that i had to do something immediately. i called the insurance company right away on saturday morning and they said call the adjuster with the details on monday. so that left me from saturday morning until monday morning to do my thing. i firmly believe the pressure we put on the thief forced him out in the open and kept him on the move (appears at least 100 miles extra on the car....and some gas was put in the tank) when he could have layed down until we were exhausted or gave up. that's the part i'm leaving out, the details on how we made it known to him that we were looking for him constantly. i'm pretty sure he heard.

i don't think i would be giving anything away by saying hide the cellphone so it cannot be readily found. if it can transmit for another hour or two, you'll find him if he's not moving too fast. my current setup has a 5-10 minute limitation meaning you can only get a single fix every 5 minutes. makes it way more difficult but by no means impossible. i realize you can go a long ways in 5 minutes.
Old 10-24-07, 06:49 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

so i now have a hidden cellphone in my car that can't be found unless you strip search the car. i've also added my s/o phone to be located. just did a hit on both of those phones, you can see the green spot on the far right is her car parked in the parking lot, you can almost see what space the car is parked in, accuracy is down to 30 feet. in the middle of the picture, you can see where she is located inside the mall, not as accurate, about 100 yards. you get varying degrees of accuracy each time, based on the phone, conditions, etc. sometimes it is a few feet, other times less often several hundred yards. either way, i have a pretty good idea where she and the car are located, right from my home (or anywhere internet access) or using my own cellphone and it's built-in map software; 24/7 as long as those phones are transmitting.

Old 10-24-07, 07:23 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't technology the greatest ^^^.
Old 10-24-07, 07:45 PM
LexGS3
Driver

How exactly are you tracking where the cell phone is? Is it a service you have to pay for?
Old 10-24-07, 07:53 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LexGS3
How exactly are you tracking where the cell phone is? Is it a service you have to pay for?
read the first post there is a link in there explaining everything
Old 10-24-07, 07:55 PM
LexGS3
Driver

ahh, stupid me.. i read this whole thread but didn't click that link in the first post. thanks.
Old 10-24-07, 10:48 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VIS250P
Excatly, theive can take everything off like disconnect alarm, cut the club, and other.. There is no way to prevent thieve stop stealing car.. I rather cut theive hands off because it is easier for them not stealing without hands..
lojack has gotten smarter.. i have it in my IS and it is not visable.. I was there when it was installed and i cant see it anywhere when i look for it, and if the power is disconected.. like the battery, lojack has a backup battery installed
Old 10-25-07, 08:38 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I know you cant divulge the details, but I'd sure as heck like to know how you were able to find out the name of the thief.
Old 10-25-07, 11:42 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I’m not sure that is true. The device is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and is placed in different places on each car. In fact, when the Lojack people install it, the owner is not allowed to observe. Also, with Lojack:

• The police are the ones who find your car, not you.
• The device never needs recharging.
• You don’t pay for idle cell phones; the Lojack cost is a one-time expense.
• The transmitter is well-hidden, so the thief never really knows the car is so equipped.
• Many insurance companies give you a discount on your premiums where it pays for itself.

I have Lojack in both my cars. The one for our IS cost $850. With our getting a $400 per year discount on insurance (USAA), it will pay for itself in about two years. And I don’t have to risk my life chasing after a car thief.

In fact the newer system I have on my G37 has a motion sensor (alerted if a little thing I attach to my fob is not present), so if the car is moved I will be called even though I don’t know the car has been stolen. If they confirm it wasn’t me they call the cops. So as soon as the car is even slightly moved the cops are on their way after a call to me. There would be no time for even a professional thief to find and disarm the two devices.
Old 10-25-07, 12:00 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

So you are saying that your wife can track you down any time she wants, right?
Old 10-25-07, 12:14 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
So you are saying that your wife can track you down any time she wants, right?
Yes, that's the only way she let me get the G37.
Old 10-25-07, 02:51 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Can they track the Lexus with the Navi system...If you have the Navi ID and call the Navi providers can they track it down since you can't disable the NAVI?
Old 10-25-07, 04:14 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buds
I know you cant divulge the details, but I'd sure as heck like to know how you were able to find out the name of the thief.
witnesses.

Quick Reply: my vehicle was stolen