IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

my vehicle was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 04:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tC_demon
Can they track the Lexus with the Navi system...If you have the Navi ID and call the Navi providers can they track it down since you can't disable the NAVI?
not possible. lexus navigation is purely one-way.
Old 10-25-07, 04:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’m not sure that is true. The device is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and is placed in different places on each car. In fact, when the Lojack people install it, the owner is not allowed to observe. Also, with Lojack:

• The police are the ones who find your car, not you.
• The device never needs recharging.
• You don’t pay for idle cell phones; the Lojack cost is a one-time expense.
• The transmitter is well-hidden, so the thief never really knows the car is so equipped.
• Many insurance companies give you a discount on your premiums where it pays for itself.

I have Lojack in both my cars. The one for our IS cost $850. With our getting a $400 per year discount on insurance (USAA), it will pay for itself in about two years. And I don’t have to risk my life chasing after a car thief.

In fact the newer system I have on my G37 has a motion sensor (alerted if a little thing I attach to my fob is not present), so if the car is moved I will be called even though I don’t know the car has been stolen. If they confirm it wasn’t me they call the cops. So as soon as the car is even slightly moved the cops are on their way after a call to me. There would be no time for even a professional thief to find and disarm the two devices.
absolutely, lojack is better for car theft. however, this method has some "versatility".
Old 10-25-07, 05:04 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
absolutely, lojack is better for car theft. however, this method has some "versatility".
Yes, I can picture having dinner at a nice restaurant when I get a cell phone call from LoJack. “Mr. Magellan did you by any chance move your car just now without the key pass being present?”
“Why no. I’ve just ordered dinner, and the key pass is with me.”
“OK then, we’re calling the police because your car’s just been stolen. But we’ll have it back to you before dessert. Bon appetite. ”

I bet Verizon can’t do that.
Old 10-25-07, 07:49 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

nope vzw can't do that. if i had know much about lojack when i bought my car new....too late to install it at this point, maybe my next car.