Old 10-24-07, 05:48 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-24-07, 05:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Once the Harrier badge went on my RX300 earlier this year, it confused a lot more people down here where Lexus isn't sold.
Old 10-24-07, 06:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eddo1
Just wanted to share...
My coworker was working on my computer today and saw my IS desktop.

"So", he saids "you're planning to get an IS huh?"

me "Um, I actually have one"

Coworker "Yeah, I thought about getting the IS but the corolla looks almost exactly like one so I decided to save $10k and bought the corolla instead. I know the cars are basically the same and I know all the parts fit. Why can't they put the in dash nav in the corolla? I do like the leather seats in the IS and I think I'll put some in if I find some. Just a corolla with nice cushy leather seats huh?!"

Me.."Um, yeah, u know I think they have the nav option in the civic now"

Coworker "Yeah, I think Toyota is playing some marketing trick. They don't really need the corolla around since they have the IS. "

Me.."Um..yeah, sometimes it's hard to think what the marketing people are doing. Oops, hold on a sec, my cell phone is ringing.."
If you didn't say "he", I would have sworn it was a woman I used to work with who was considering getting rid of her Saturn for an "Acura Civic Sedan 2-door"...or was it a coupe 4 door?
Old 10-24-07, 06:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine

I will admit that I frequently catch the Scion tC out of the corner of my eye and think it's an IS (espcially the Silver ones). Emphasis on "corner".
Old 10-24-07, 07:07 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't let it bother you. There are many in the general public who think that Lexus still only makes 2 models: 300 and 400. I just had this conversation with my cousin that kinda pissed me off when he said that my car was ONLY a 300.
Old 10-24-07, 07:20 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-MIKE
I guess I can see that, from some angles the 1st gen IS does look similar. I wonder if anyone has tried putting 1st gen IS parts on their corolla to dress it up. Pop off that corolla badge and replace that with altezza.

Toyota Corolla 2008

Lexus IS300

Middle East Version Corolla
Old 10-24-07, 07:43 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eddo1
Just wanted to share...
My coworker was working on my computer today and saw my IS desktop.

"So", he saids "you're planning to get an IS huh?"

me "Um, I actually have one"

Coworker "Yeah, I thought about getting the IS but the corolla looks almost exactly like one so I decided to save $10k and bought the corolla instead. I know the cars are basically the same and I know all the parts fit. Why can't they put the in dash nav in the corolla? I do like the leather seats in the IS and I think I'll put some in if I find some. Just a corolla with nice cushy leather seats huh?!"

Me.."Um, yeah, u know I think they have the nav option in the civic now"

Coworker "Yeah, I think Toyota is playing some marketing trick. They don't really need the corolla around since they have the IS. "

Me.."Um..yeah, sometimes it's hard to think what the marketing people are doing. Oops, hold on a sec, my cell phone is ringing.."
Careful, last time I suggested the Lexus looks like a Toyota I got in big trouble with the administrator on here.
Old 10-24-07, 08:21 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i tell people i drive a glorified corolla.
Old 10-24-07, 09:42 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh, I get that garbage from one of my painfully ignorant (when it comes to cars, especially) friends. Everytime the car is brought up in a conversation, he works in a comment along the lines of "so basically you payed $40K+ for a Lexus Corolla"...

I've thoroughly explained the differences (which I wouldn't have bothered to do if he wasn't a friend... or if he was as numb as the co-worker you're describing), but he still says it, even though he hasn't had any rebuttal. I think he's just saying it to get under my skin now.

... It's working.
Old 10-24-07, 09:52 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ex thought the my IS looked like a corolla too. i dumped her shortly after.
Old 10-24-07, 10:41 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

you're coworker is an idiot.
Old 10-24-07, 12:08 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL the OP was funny, when you find a guy that doesnt know cars and talks like he knows something its best just to say, 'oh yea? thats cool' and change the subject to something else. You don't see us locals in hawaii talking about NHL to canadians, BUT i do know that Paul Kariya is an asian
Old 10-24-07, 01:01 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

I honestly don't see IS looking like a Corolla I can see ppl comparing a Camry & ES, Land Cruiser & LX...um thats about it. But to say the IS & Corolla can be compare, thats just plain ignorance from ppl that can't afford a lux car or ppl that don't want to spend their money on Lux cars...Plus I have a tC and IS and don't look anything a like...ANYTHING.
Old 10-24-07, 01:14 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

people who say it looks like a corolla are probably the average joe.... who has no real interest in cars...true car enthusiast can easily make out the differences from the similarities...
Old 10-24-07, 01:17 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Heh, I get that garbage from one of my painfully ignorant (when it comes to cars, especially) friends. Everytime the car is brought up in a conversation, he works in a comment along the lines of "so basically you payed $40K+ for a Lexus Corolla"...

I've thoroughly explained the differences (which I wouldn't have bothered to do if he wasn't a friend... or if he was as numb as the co-worker you're describing), but he still says it, even though he hasn't had any rebuttal. I think he's just saying it to get under my skin now.

... It's working.

Just tell him your Corolla will kick his cars you know what!!

Quick Reply: HaHa, My coworker thinks my IS is a corolla