IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dashboard problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 01:05 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has isnt a temp related issue. It happens when i go over badly paved roads. Usually uneven roads will cause it to happen. It would be fixed for 3 days, then the rattle is back. The dealer has put so much foam insulation near the center speaker grill that the grill is no longer flush with the dash. If I put my hand on the center grill it goes away and if i pull on the defroster vents it goes away. I take it is this week for a stuck button. I will let you know if that fixes it.

I might try PhillipMST idea with the velcro.
Old 10-24-07, 01:40 PM
philip83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
Mine has isnt a temp related issue. It happens when i go over badly paved roads. Usually uneven roads will cause it to happen. It would be fixed for 3 days, then the rattle is back. The dealer has put so much foam insulation near the center speaker grill that the grill is no longer flush with the dash. If I put my hand on the center grill it goes away and if i pull on the defroster vents it goes away. I take it is this week for a stuck button. I will let you know if that fixes it.

I might try PhillipMST idea with the velcro.
Sounds we found a mutual weak part on the IS. I have posted this on a forum in holland too and many guys recognised it. Anyway going to the dealer on monday. Better wait a bit before I lower the ride and loose the warranty.
Old 10-24-07, 04:00 PM
windfall12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philip83
Hi guys, anyone have experience with this.
I have my IS for 6000 km and there's something cracking in the middle of the dashboard when I drive over a bumpy road. I think it's in the region of the window heater/cooler.
I had this problem too, but after a week or two it suddenly disappeared. It must be weather related; it tends to appear in hot days only.
Old 10-25-07, 12:36 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

I may have figured it out. The middle/top of the dash...where the speaker grill is, seams to be lose. If you put your hand on the speaker grill just lightly while you drive, it stops the noise. Not sure what the fix would be yet...
Old 10-25-07, 07:00 PM
vader
Driver School Candidate

mine does it when i back down my driveway at an angle or when i turn through gutters..I was thinking the car doe not have enough braces..I was thinking a strut tower brace woud stiffen it up enough to stop it?
Old 10-26-07, 02:39 AM
philip83
Driver School Candidate

Called the dealership. They said they have many IS's with the problem but they can easily fix it. I will let you guys know. I'm going on monday
Old 11-02-07, 09:44 AM
philip83
Driver School Candidate

Went to the dealer. It was fixed in 45 minutes. They didn't even had to remove the dashboard. I asked what they'd done. They just put something between the fittings. They didn't say more...
It's now almost a week and there's no cracking anymore!
Old 11-02-07, 09:48 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is shame, but these cars are rattle prone. Lexus always used to be solid as a drum back in the day, but I think with time they learn what they can get away with and cut costs for production. This leads to lower quality. Hell look at the sins the American car manufacturers have been able to get away with and they still sell cars. It is amazing to me anyone could ever consider a Ford, Lincoln, GM sedan over an import. People are stupid and easy to please though.
Old 11-02-07, 09:52 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Mine rattles too ocassionally 0.o.... not sure on the circumstances though.... well you may say these cars are prone to rattling but you get what you pay for... ever been in a cheap car like 25k or under those rattle like no other.... you aren't buying a high end luxury.... you are buying an entry luxury... like I just said you get whar you paid for... IF you expect no rattles period spend another 30k-40k....then you have all the rights to complain
Old 11-11-07, 08:31 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Finally got to take my car in. They took my entire dash apart and removed the insulation that they put in. They removed the factory insulation and put brand new insulation. NO RATTLES, aleast for now!

BTW it isnt a good reason to say that your buying and extry level luxury vehicle and expect rattles. I had a 2000 Accord and it had no rattles for the 6 years i owned it.

Entry level = potential future upgrades. Think about this, If you are not impressed by an entry level vehicle, will you buy a higher end vehicle from the same automaker?

My co-workers and friends have 3 series, z4, TL, RX hybrid and RDX. There problems range from driver seats sqealing, cd that dont eject, bad transmission, nav that dont turn on. Some are entry level some arent. I think prefer a rattle over any of those problems!

That is my opinion and i am sticking with it.
Old 11-29-07, 01:06 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

It lasted two weeks. Now it is back for another round. Got a nice litte lecture today about the rattle from the service manager. I quote, under normal driving condition and normal road the dash should not rattle. But on uneven pavement and bumpy road it will rattle. What road in any city around the world has a normal driving condition??? I am not driving the car off-road. Driving to work is a normal driving condition too me. He was trying to explain that all cars rattle on bumpy roads, well my best friend has a 06 325i sport package and it doesnt rattle. What happen to the pursuit of perfection? What luxury cars can only be driven on nicely paved roads. I think not. This was not going to be my last car that i buy, but it is turning out to be the last Lexus i am going to buy.
Old 11-29-07, 02:35 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
It lasted two weeks. Now it is back for another round. Got a nice litte lecture today about the rattle from the service manager. I quote, under normal driving condition and normal road the dash should not rattle. But on uneven pavement and bumpy road it will rattle. What road in any city around the world has a normal driving condition??? I am not driving the car off-road. Driving to work is a normal driving condition too me. He was trying to explain that all cars rattle on bumpy roads, well my best friend has a 06 325i sport package and it doesnt rattle. What happen to the pursuit of perfection? What luxury cars can only be driven on nicely paved roads. I think not. This was not going to be my last car that i buy, but it is turning out to be the last Lexus i am going to buy.
You hit the nail on the head. My service advisor has told me that rattles are normal because the IS "is a sports car", and their attempts to fix have resulted in misalignment of vents, silicone goo on the dash (that I'm still trying to totally remove), etc.

My wife's Ford is rattle free after 2 years, so the previous post about American quality (or lack thereof) is BS as far as I'm concerned.