IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

17 days of sitting ....... 1 dead battery .....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 02:22 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, back from the Lexus dealer in Austin. I had the car on a charger from 9pm last night to 8am today and it was still in charging mode this morning, but it started on its own this morning without having to use the jumper cables. Drove 90 miles to the dealer and they took the car in right away. They said the charge was low but nothing appears wrong with the battery; the battery's Rated CCA is 582 and mine was putting out 581 this morning. Whether it will hold a charge is something only time will tell.

The Service Writer also stated that they are seeing more and more Lexus come in with weak or drained batteries if they sit for two weeks or more, due to internal power drain. They are now suggesting to their customers that if a car is going to sit more than two weeks to hook up a trickle charger to solve this problem. IMO this shouldn't be necessary but maybe field experience is showing this to be a problem if the car isn't in constant use. Perhaps hot climes like Texas are aggravating the problem as well.

I have an extra Battery Tender that I no longer use with my motorcycle so I got a new quick connect fused terminal this afternoon and installed it on the battery. That way I can quickly connect it when I go away and it should solve the problem. I'll post up some pics and a DIY writeup for others that want to go this route. Having to hassle with a dead battery and the loss of some of your settings is inconvenient, especially if it is the Better Half who has to deal with it .

For those that say to just to disconnect the negative terminal I think that is too inconvenient, especially since you'll lose some of your custom settings. Sure, I can reset the memory seats and the clock but why should I have to? I don't think that is Lexus' intention.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-27-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-27-07, 03:02 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that sucks... I have never let a car sit that long, but youd think with all the reliability Toyota promotes that you would be able to leave their cars in your garage for a month or two and theyd start up just fine... Oh well, I guess we cant have everything...
Old 10-27-07, 11:49 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
The Service Writer also stated that they are seeing more and more Lexus come in with weak or drained batteries if they sit for two weeks or more, due to internal power drain. They are now suggesting to their customers that if a car is going to sit more than two weeks to hook up a trickle charger to solve this problem.
Ahhhh.... I had a feeling it was that (as stated in my previous post). This seems to hold true with many modern cars.