IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New nav-hack module for $299

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 08:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
when you are playing dvd while the car is moving, can you press on MAP and it goes back to navigation, which is still tracking your vehicle (the arrow moving)?

.....does the guidance system still work and keep on guiding you when you drive (ex left turn ahead, etc...)?
yes and yes
Old 10-31-07, 11:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
yes and yes
so that means there are two switches you use, one to enable watching dvd and one to enable using the nav?
Old 10-31-07, 01:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

the way the original nav hack worked without any switches at all, you could play dvds while moving and while driving to your destination, you simply need to press the MAP button to get your current position and directions. I'm not sure if you are asking does anything stop or disable while working with the other function or if you are asking if either or can be used only one at a time.
Old 11-14-07, 08:03 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Maybe you missed the part about being able to play DVDs AND have the Nav continue to work. The current Nav hack cannot do this even with a VSS switch. They've done something unique and $300 is cheap for this functionality if you want to play video while driving without disrupting your navigation system.

It doesn't mean I'm buying one, but for those who want this, it's just about the perfect fix at a pretty reasonable price.
This new nav-hack module is not that great... All it does is disable the VSS wire, which is the same as the switch method that I did last year... When you flip the override switch, the nav doesn't function...

So, the existing nav hack where you splice the wires is much better, as you get all the ML, caller-id, bluetooth, mp3 folders functionality, and the nav still works 100% all the time...
Old 11-14-07, 09:14 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^ You make a good point... but..

I would like to mention that this simple PnP kit is a great design IF your NOT willing to hack any of your OEM wiring.
Which will pretty much kill the warranty on anything behind the radio head unit, god for bid something were to "break" between now and 2011 for me...

I installed it in my 2008 IS350 and so far it works perfectly with out one single wire being cut..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=317919

If the kit didn't exist, I would have eventually hacked the wires...
So this was perfect timing for me.

Thanks
Joe Z
Old 11-14-07, 09:24 AM
05LSV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe Z - so the system you installed is only for ML system Lexus ISx50 cars, correct?
Old 11-14-07, 09:46 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Maybe you missed the part about being able to play DVDs AND have the Nav continue to work. The current Nav hack cannot do this even with a VSS switch. They've done something unique and $300 is cheap for this functionality if you want to play video while driving without disrupting your navigation system.

It doesn't mean I'm buying one, but for those who want this, it's just about the perfect fix at a pretty reasonable price.
Actually it does work. I've done it before. Watch Music Videos and let the Voice Guidence kick in......

but my method involves 3 relays. I have advocated that method previously.. but it is merely too complicated for a entry level DIY.
Old 11-14-07, 09:58 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by 05LSV
Joe Z - so the system you installed is only for ML system Lexus ISx50 cars, correct?
So far the test cars used all have the NAV & ML Pkg

Theoretically it should work in just the NAV cars as well.. it just has yet to be confirmed.
Old 11-14-07, 11:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
So far the test cars used all have the NAV & ML Pkg

Theoretically it should work in just the NAV cars as well.. it just has yet to be confirmed.
that's my guess too, but unless proven.... i know they are looking for test car
Old 11-14-07, 01:50 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the fact that you have to use a switch kills it for me. I was about ready to buy this, until I saw the switch.
Old 11-14-07, 04:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
IMO, the fact that you have to use a switch kills it for me. I was about ready to buy this, until I saw the switch.
Whats wrong with this button(s)??

Click on thumbnail for enlarged picture.

Joe Z
Old 11-14-07, 04:35 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
This new nav-hack module is not that great... All it does is disable the VSS wire, which is the same as the switch method that I did last year... When you flip the override switch, the nav doesn't function...

So, the existing nav hack where you splice the wires is much better, as you get all the ML, caller-id, bluetooth, mp3 folders functionality, and the nav still works 100% all the time...
Let me make sure I'm understanding this right... There is only one switch that will enable all the functions -- phone functions, mp3 folders, etc, AND the nav input while moving. Right? So because of that, even if all you want to do is mess with the mp3 folders/songs, and you are not trying to enter anything into the nav system, you still have to deal with the jumpy/non-functional nav?

If that's the case, I guess all that means is that you need to flip the switch back whenever you're done messing with your music options or dialing a number or anything... it's a slight annoyance, but I'm sure it's worth it to some people.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-14-07 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 09:23 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Let me make sure I'm understanding this right... There is only one switch that will enable all the functions -- phone functions, mp3 folders, etc, AND the nav input while moving. Right? So because of that, even if all you want to do is mess with the mp3 folders/songs, and you are not trying to enter anything into the nav system, you still have to deal with the jumpy/non-functional nav?

If that's the case, I guess all that means is that you need to flip the switch back whenever you're done messing with your music options or dialing a number or anything... it's a slight annoyance, but I'm sure it's worth it to some people.
You are correct...