IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help: Check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 07:26 PM
HardBoiler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's what happened to me. they changed my ignition coil and spark plug on one of the cylinder that misfired.
Old 11-02-07, 06:57 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go to an AutoZone to have them pull the DTC codes (free) before I spend a bunch of time at a dealership.
Old 11-02-07, 10:13 AM
Rod_24
Rookie

Same thing happened to me i search in the forums D/C the Neg terminal from battery which inturn reset the car re programmed everything IE Windows, Door locks and such problem went away been good for a month now. I check gas cap and everything else that has been mentioned plus the Lexus dealer is like 2hrs away didnt want to drive that far for something that could be easily fixed!
Old 11-12-07, 07:56 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, after not driving the car at all for 4-5 days, I finally turned it on today just so the battery wont die on me. To my surprise, the check engine light is off and check vsc is not there anymore. *scratch head
Old 11-12-07, 08:21 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Wow, that's weird. It sounds like you need an exorcist not a service tech!
Old 11-12-07, 08:31 PM
tmag
Pole Position

Saw the check engine light on, so I got out popped the hood and sure enough the engine was still there.
Good to here it's nothing serious, how's it running now? Is the idle back to normal?
Old 11-12-07, 08:33 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

That happened to my Sequoia - check engine and VSC - while out of town vacationing in Monterey bay last summer. I checked the gas cover - made sure it's secure and "clicked". Warning light still on so I called up my mechanic and he told me to disconnnect the battery to reset the computer. It worked but the truck kept on stalling. He told me to run the SUV on idle for 15 to 20 minutes giving time for the computer to self diagnose and adjust.
Old 11-12-07, 08:35 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tmag
Saw the check engine light on, so I got out popped the hood and sure enough the engine was still there.
Good to here it's nothing serious, how's it running now? Is the idle back to normal?
Well it feels normal at start up now, its not trying to die on me. However, I haven't driven it out yet.
Old 11-12-07, 08:39 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Well it feels normal at start up now, its not trying to die on me. However, I haven't driven it out yet.
see post ^^^. Run on idle for a few minutes. Let the computer "learn" and self diagnose.
Old 11-12-07, 08:48 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

There are a couple threads about this problem, it's happened to me before too, and it's worrisome, especially if it doesn't resurface until out of warranty. I'd recommend that everyone get docmunetation of the problem and that it wasn't fixed (just went away) so that we may be covered, should we have the car after our 4yr/50k expires, hopefully it would fall under our 6yrs/70k powertrain, if that's the exact duration of coverage.
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

It doesn't self-diagnose or self-repair. It learns to trim the fuel for a stable idle. Nothing more.

I would never disconnect the battery to do this. I'd pull the fuse per the instructions in the FAQ.
tmag
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Good luck hope it runs like normal! Keep us updated!
Old 11-12-07, 08:50 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem last year. Took the car back to Lexus and they diagnosed the problem with a faulty O2 sensor. They replaced under warranty. Never had any problems since.
Old 11-12-07, 09:01 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Maybe "self diagnose" is not the correct term but for the computer to "learn", it has to figure out that there is something wrong. It seems like diagnosing to me. pls educate/advise. not mechanically inclined.
Old 11-13-07, 06:35 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Maybe "self diagnose" is not the correct term but for the computer to "learn", it has to figure out that there is something wrong. It seems like diagnosing to me. pls educate/advise. not mechanically inclined.
All modern cars have short term and long term fuel trims that are learned over time by the ECU to give good idle, throttle response, emissions, and fuel economy. When you reset the ECU, those fuel trims are reset, so it's normal for the idle to be rough and ocassionally die. In some cases where there is a significant climate change between driving cycles, the idle will suck all over again while the ECU readjusts the trims for the new climate.

It's too late now, but I think it was a mistake to reset the ECU without first checking the code via OBDII. AutoZone will pull the codes for free. Just because the CEL turns off, you can still pull historical codes in most cases. Now you may never know what the problem was.

Quick Reply: Need help: Check VSC