IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help: Check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 04:17 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from the dealership and they told me that no codes were stored...

Originally Posted by ecr527
Wow, that's weird. It sounds like you need an exorcist not a service tech!
Old 12-03-07, 10:02 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
AutoZone will pull the codes for free.....
But would they give you a print out of the freeze data? A code by itself is just an indication of a malfunction of a particular system as detected by its failsafe programmed logic. It doesn't necessarily mean the component is defective or requires replacement.

If your vehicle has warranty get it checked out. They shouldn't charge you to take care of the issue unless it was from someone tampering with something they shouldn't have.
Old 12-04-07, 06:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
But would they give you a print out of the freeze data? A code by itself is just an indication of a malfunction of a particular system as detected by its failsafe programmed logic. It doesn't necessarily mean the component is defective or requires replacement.

If your vehicle has warranty get it checked out. They shouldn't charge you to take care of the issue unless it was from someone tampering with something they shouldn't have.
A code by itself is FAR more valuable than nothing at all when you blindly reset the ECU. There's no doubt that taking it to the dealer would have been the "best" choice, but there were many "better" choices than resetting the ECU.
Old 12-09-07, 08:18 PM
flyfl1pguy

DAMNIT! Mines just came on tonight.
Tried the gas cap no luck!
Will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow. .
Old 01-09-08, 11:41 PM
origin2000
Driver School Candidate

<Lengthy Diatribe>

I just thought I'd chime in with my experience with this problem. The issue initially surfaced about 9 months ago on my IS 250 RWD (6MT) and since then I've taken the car into the dealership no fewer than 6 times for the same issue. It has most recently happened again last Friday, and I've been driving around in a Canadian winter since with no traction or stability control - not ideal.

Apparently there was a TSIB for the error code (running too rich) that required a replacement PCV valve and an oil change. That particular service has now been done twice to no effect as the issue has re-occured each time. To be honest, I've never really checked the Gas Cap -- but I can say this - the problem went away for about 4 months in the summer and returned when the weather got colder - so it's a logical possible cause (maybe the seal is being lost in the cold??). The gas cap always clicks once and feels tight - but anything can happen I guess ?*shrug*?

Since the last time I had the car into the dealership in December the dealer has had an unresolved incident report open with Lexus/Toyota, and I've requested a formal investigation and resolution from Lexus of Canada - they gave me a incident number and told me someone would call in 3-5 business days -- I called on Tuesday, so that probably means this coming Monday

I'll post my service invoice that lists the error codes and work performed in another post.

The thing that worries me, however, that I haven't seen in any posts in this thread is the ancillary problems that accompanied this error when it last occurred. The last time the error occurred, in addition to the error lights and disabling of VSC and TRAC I had the following problems:

1) For a few weeks prior, and only when the engine was cold, the throttle would seem to "fail" or "flutter" on takeoff, almost causing a stall or causing the vehicle to shudder momentarily until I depressed the clutch and allowed the engine to return to idle. From there it may happen again a few times, or it may take off fine. (During these few weeks there was no error light or warning message)

2) When the light did come on, the car was shuddering in idle (and idling high at about 1400 rpm), expressing the symptoms above in 1) and the car would not accelerate normally, nor would it exceed about 60 km/h. The best way to describe this is to equate it with driving with the "snow" mode turned on - the throttle response was very weak and even fully depressing the gas pedal did not produce the typical power of a normal take-off. As the car was basically undrivable at that point, I took it to the dealer, got a loaner, and left it with them for 3-4 days. They got a capture of the errors thrown by the ECU, and it's scary for me to look at, but after the day was done all they could do they told me was to reset the indicator, change the oil as recommended by the TSIB, file an incident report, and hope that Toyota came up with a solution.

</Lengthy Diatribe>
Old 01-10-08, 12:26 AM
origin2000
Driver School Candidate

Here's my service invoices from the 1st time the car was taken in for this problem, and the last 3 times.

http://alberta-rules.com/carpics/1st_time.pdf
http://alberta-rules.com/carpics/november_22.pdf
http://alberta-rules.com/carpics/december_5.pdf
http://alberta-rules.com/carpics/december_18.pdf
Old 01-10-08, 06:37 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I don't understand why your dealership hasn't tried replacing any of the items that would tend to make it run rich (MAF, O2 sensors, TPS, fuel pressure regulator, etc.).
Old 01-10-08, 06:48 AM
lxtauto
Driver School Candidate

Is the check engine light on too, if so you have an engine code and vsc light will be on too for safety.
Old 01-14-08, 03:37 PM
origin2000
Driver School Candidate

In my case, there are three lights on - the orange check engine light, the red triangle under the multi-info display, and the "skidding car" light for the vsc/traction control. The exact message displayed on the multi-info display is "Check VSC"

Lexus corporate is supposed to be contacting me today or tomorrow to follow-up. Wish me luck!
Old 01-14-08, 04:34 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

i have a 06 350 and the check vsc came on for a split second. i mean i saw it, blinked, and it went away? i think it might be the cold weather like it has to adjust too fast and it confuses the ECU but if it comes back im going to the dealership
Old 01-17-08, 04:07 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
i have a 06 350 and the check vsc came on for a split second. i mean i saw it, blinked, and it went away? i think it might be the cold weather like it has to adjust too fast and it confuses the ECU but if it comes back im going to the dealership
I just got the CHECK VSC light today. i will toogle with the gas cap and hope that works.

any ideas???
Old 01-17-08, 07:56 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some strange reason my CEL started flashing for a few seconds the other day on my way home from work, then the triangle light and "check VSC" came on for a split second. Then they all went out and haven't come on since. I'm not sure why this happened, but I previously had the CEL/VSC light problem, which according to the dealership said it was a result of a cracked gas cap.
Old 01-17-08, 10:20 PM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

this has happened to me twice and each time my car wouldnt accelerate when gas was pressed so pulled off side of the road turned car off and turned car back on... went away..... dealer said something crazy
Old 01-18-08, 10:40 AM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

This is some wierd ish! My VSC light is still on and I have screwed with the gas cap again and again.

You guys think I should take it to the dealership?
Old 01-22-08, 08:48 PM
origin2000
Driver School Candidate

So here's an update on my "incident" with Lexus of Canada:

On Tuesday last week, after no one got back to me in the 3-5 business days I was promised, I called back and spoke with a gentleman who had been assigned to my case. He advised me that a Senior technician was at my dealership on Thursday/Friday of the week and that they were looking into an identical issue with another vehicle there. He said that they would be in contact with the factory, and he would report back to me their findings on Friday if possible, but more likely, and at the latest, he assured me - on Monday.

Monday was yesterday. No Call.
Called them back today, Tuesday, and the guy assigned to my case was gone for the day. Left a voicemail message.

I'm starting to get just a little cheesed, but I'll let everyone know what the guy says when he calls me back -- or more likely, when I call him back tomorrow - again.

Quick Reply: Need help: Check VSC