IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus announces 'F-Sport' line of accessories for 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 03:47 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddolay
i paid $240 for the short shifter and about $10 for the form a gasket sealant and silicone spray. I think the price is a little steep but I really like the new driving experience. IMO it is worth it.

the installation is pretty straight forward but i recommend finding a friend to help you. be sure to take all safety precautions to jack your car properly. like i have mentioned before, the installation is pretty much on the feel because it is hard to see all that you are doing.

i installed this myself because the dealership said 3-4 hours at $115/hr. Check your local dealerships. All we did was pretty much followed the instructions step by step and only took us 2 hours with about 30 mins of the time jacking the car up. hope that helps.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking into it as well. Trying to see if my local dealership can give me a better price than Sewell. I don't think I have the patience or the time to install it myself, but we'll see.
Old 04-30-08, 07:37 AM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by mikeho
Thanks for the info! I'm looking into it as well. Trying to see if my local dealership can give me a better price than Sewell. I don't think I have the patience or the time to install it myself, but we'll see.
here's another tip...if you do decide to do it yourself:

1) to get the boot on really easy, put it on inside out and roll it over once you have it on the control shaft. spray silicone will help too. slips on like a glove.

2) when its time to tighten the socket bolts, have a friend hold the shifter in reverse. this will give you lots of space to get the torque wrench in there and really crank it down.

hope this helps.
Old 04-30-08, 07:50 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chuckler
here's another tip...if you do decide to do it yourself:

1) to get the boot on really easy, put it on inside out and roll it over once you have it on the control shaft. spray silicone will help too. slips on like a glove.

2) when its time to tighten the socket bolts, have a friend hold the shifter in reverse. this will give you lots of space to get the torque wrench in there and really crank it down.

hope this helps.
those tips would have been nice when i was installing it :P
Old 04-30-08, 05:57 PM
charliea42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fluxx
i ordered the springs so im gonna try f-sport springs and factory shocks first and see how it goes. hope this helps
Far be it for me to tell folks what they should do, but unless you have a lot of money you don't really need you might want to reconsider holding off on the shocks. The man hours to replace the shocks is essentially the same as for the springs, you could save yourself a great deal of labor costs by doing them together. Not to mention having to do an alignment twice instead of once.

BTW I had both springs and shocks done on my car and I'm quite happy with the results. The ride is not any rougher than with the stock items, but it feels a lot more responsive to steering input. Quite honestly I'm not an expert in these matters, but I suspect the springs are more for looks than performance. The car does look much better 1" lower, and a lower CG can't hurt. I suspect most of the improvement came from the shocks.
Old 04-30-08, 09:58 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by charliea42

BTW I had both springs and shocks done on my car and I'm quite happy with the results. The ride is not any rougher than with the stock items, but it feels a lot more responsive to steering input. Quite honestly I'm not an expert in these matters, but I suspect the springs are more for looks than performance. The car does look much better 1" lower, and a lower CG can't hurt. I suspect most of the improvement came from the shocks.
Charliea42,

When you said the ride is not any rougher than with the stock items, do you mean the ride quality and the ability to cope with potholes and such?

I have the stock suspension, too and want to improve the cornering and reduce the body roll without sacrificing the ride quality and the pothole coping ability that come with the stock suspension.
Old 05-01-08, 07:52 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the latest labor times we have for the various F-Sport components. Be mindful, this is only a guide and labor times may not be guaranteed at your local installation facility.

Old 05-01-08, 08:20 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
Here are the latest labor times we have for the various F-Sport components. Be mindful, this is only a guide and labor times may not be guaranteed at your local installation facility.

I wish you guys where in Chicago. I got quoted for Shocks/Springs install $720 and $972 at 2 different dealerships. Do you know if its Lexus policy to reduce the labor cost if it takes less than the quoted time to install?
Old 05-01-08, 11:26 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note for AWD drive owners - due to vehicle fitment challenges, the 19" F-Sport Wheel and Shock Set are not compatible with the IS 250 AWD. Several countermeasures have been explored and tested without success.

Additional analysis is being conducted on developing a new Shock Set to determine if a new product can mitigate the fitment challenge. As soon as more information is available, we will provide you with an update.

This post will be posted in the various IS F-Sport threads to insure every IS AWD owner is aware of this recent development.

Darrel
Old 05-01-08, 11:40 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Darrel,

Thanks for the chart. It is a good reference.
Old 05-01-08, 12:09 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
Thanks for sharing this chart, it is very helpful.
Old 05-01-08, 12:13 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CF shift **** eh? more of maybe whats to come?
Old 05-01-08, 12:51 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chums
CF shift **** eh? more of maybe whats to come?
Damn, didn't even notice that....
Old 05-01-08, 09:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the alignment should be done a week or two after the install so it can settle first
Old 05-05-08, 12:02 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

anyone know if the parts have to be installed at the dealership to 'not void' the warranty? not that i'm interesting in not voiding the warranty, but it's good to know.
Old 05-05-08, 12:30 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hapaboy
anyone know if the parts have to be installed at the dealership to 'not void' the warranty? not that i'm interesting in not voiding the warranty, but it's good to know.
If you install it at a dealer, the warranty of the parts installed is the remaining warranty on your car. If you get the parts installed somewhere else, the warranty is 12 months.

Quick Reply: Lexus announces 'F-Sport' line of accessories for 2IS