IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus announces 'F-Sport' line of accessories for 2IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 05:43 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and it would not depreciate my car if it was a F/I made by trd or f sport under warrenty, which is what i was hoping for
Old 10-31-07, 05:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
theres no real point for lexus to make a factory backed supercharge with the IS350 and IS-F around
Extremely good point. Lexus wouldn't want to steal the IS-F's thunder.
Old 10-31-07, 05:47 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

well if they made one for both then it wouldnt be takin away from its thunder.. and with the brains from lexus engineering im sure they could.
Old 10-31-07, 06:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
well if they made one for both then it wouldnt be takin away from its thunder.. and with the brains from lexus engineering im sure they could.
So you think Lexus should have offered an SC kit for the 350 and IS-F at the same time, when the IS-F isn't even available yet? Do you also NOT think that a ~$5K TRD SC for an IS350 would in any way dampen the enthusiasm for the IS-F that had about the same amount of power out of the box?
Old 10-31-07, 07:36 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

everyone is complaining about a supercharger. it is not easy to just bolt one o and have power. these motors ecu's are pretty locked down, the motors are running at 11.5-12:1 compression ratio's, 2 different injector stages. plainly these motors are not built for SC/Turbo's at all. gains would be minimal like with the LMS supercharger.

if there was going to be a supercharger from TRD they would have made it. They have made a supercharger for the corolla, camry, 4.7 tundra's, V6 tacoma's, scion TC. if the motor was able to handle it they would have made it. i've driven all those cars with superchargers on them from Toyota and they hauled ***. me and my father are pretty good freinds with the GM of one of the biggest toyota dealerships in the northeast. and he decks a car out every time to drive and have fun with it.

As far as the comptech to Honda and the TRD to toyota.

comptech is a independent company that makes performance parts for honda's. Mugen on the other hand is in dirrect connection with honda.

TRD is Toyota's division. and ll they use is bllstien components.

...on another note. the air box definitely is different then what stock is right now.

and AWD components please.......aka suspension.....
Old 10-31-07, 07:59 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Screw the supercharger, release a freaking ECU module so that we can hand it over to a company that WILL make F/I
If they can find a way to control engine management then the supercharger/turbocharger should be the 'easy' part
Old 10-31-07, 08:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
...As far as the comptech to Honda and the TRD to toyota.

comptech is a independent company that makes performance parts for honda's. Mugen on the other hand is in dirrect connection with honda.

TRD is Toyota's division. and ll they use is bllstien components.....
Comptech was tightly related to Honda/Acura at one point in time. Comptech offers CARB approved performance parts for all kinds of Hondas and Acuras. TRD does not. They have a very sketchy history with their superchargers, and a number of them did not perform in the field resulting in termination of new sales (try to find a supercharger for any Toyota V-8 - they used to have them for Landcruisers...)

AFA TRD using Bilstein - that's complete hogwash. TRD uses a number of vendors including Performance Friction, RPS, Quaife, Vortech, and others. They manufacture almost nothing. Quaife was happily selling their Torsen diffs for Scion tC's until TRD decided they wanted to be the exclusive marketing agent for Quaife in the tC. TRD does very little for the hard core enthusiast.

Nothing I've seen in these pictures gives me any hope that the F series parts are any different. More brake - like there's some problem with 335mm rotors and four piston calipers by ADVICS - more wheels - like there aren't a gazillion wheel choices - more suspension choices - wow! somebody finally makes a swaybar - chassis braces - of course after the marketing department is done telling us all the things the engineers did to stiffen the chassis, we really need bracing to add weight to an already heavy car.

Where's the recalibrated VDIM computer with more options a la RaceLogic? Where's the engine management to change shift points or update the IS350's lame paddle shifters to lock in gear?

How about a real camber adjustment? No, can't do that, but we can sell you braces to more rigidly enforce alignment settings designed to get groceries not cut fast laps on a track day...

Sorry for being so negative, but there's nothing truly performance oriented here. It's a bunch of bling parts for people who want visual performance, not mechanical performance. Typical of Toyota/Lexus/Scion - it's just how they do it.

So what about Yamaha, the company doing all Toyota's high performance developement?

And even an ECM for $684.21 List:

So, Toyota doesn't care about the performance enthusiast. They only care about making pretty cars prettier.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-31-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 10:55 PM
vistorQ
Pole Position

ok so i don't know if i missed where to buy those brakes but i want them and i want them now. any one got any ideas help on where to buy them. i am fairly new to the lexus world but when it comes to cars i am not affraid to get down.
Old 10-31-07, 11:27 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

For the 10th time I was looking at the "F-Sport" items. Thanks Javy!! Anyway, tired and tipsy --> under the influence of cold medicine, I was really looking at the "F-Sport" logo. Hummm... F-Sport? At first I thought, neat and pretty. Then I thought, gee, what will the competition (ie. Bimmers) have to say about the "F" in "F-Sport".

Perhaps Lexus should have used "L" as in "L-Sport". The saki must have been flowing when they came up with "F" as opposed to "L".
Old 11-01-07, 12:23 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the "f sport" logo look really lame and cheesy....amg and m series logos look way better...
Old 11-01-07, 02:41 AM
thisisj0
Driver

for the record lextacy89 ... a car IS an investment. especially the lexus is350
Old 11-01-07, 03:45 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

As requested, pictures of the inside of the airbox. As you can see, the charcoal filter remains, but the air filter itself is missing:

These are for you, Joe... Oh, and no mention of any plans for a grille...

Pics of the engine bay with the new accessories installed:

Old 11-01-07, 04:27 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Any picture that would let us figure out the diameter of the new sway bars would be good, since I've not seen those in the specs/press releases (maybe hold a ruler up to it while you snap the shot :P)
I didn't have a ruler, but the card I'm holding is exactly the size of a credit card:

Originally Posted by Recluse
A pic probably wouldn't help, but can you provide any preliminary impressions of the Quick Shift kit?
The Quick Shift Kit:

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Pic of the exhaust please.

Originally Posted by 06LexIS
Wow, very nice.
Ceramic brakes are sick, the calipers look so familiar "Stoptech's"
But at least, its better then what other manufacturers offer.
I see myself upgrading the clutch for sure and maybe the sway bars.
There's a reason for that...

A few more notes about the new F-Sport Line:
  • The F-Sport performance accessory line will be available in early March 2008, and will be sold through Lexus dealerships.
  • The Ground Effects Kit remains unchanged. It is not being branded as "F-Sport," but instead remains as a "Lexus Genuine Accessory," as does the rear spoiler.
  • The carbon fiber engine cover will only be available for the IS350.
  • This lightweight forged alloy wheels are a staggered fitment with 19” X 8” front and 19” X 9” rear. Recommended tire sizes are 225/35R19 in the front and 255/35R19 in the rear.
  • F-Sport Brakes (the blue ones) are 355 mm diameter cross-drilled front rotors, 345 mm rears. The Continuous Ceramic Brakes (the yellow ones) are 380 mm front rotors and 355 mm rears.
  • The F-Sport Exhaust system is NOT a rebranded HKS Dual Sport exhaust. It is an entirely new offering from Lexus.
  • Someone asked who the shocks were built by... They were developed in cooperation with Bilstein.
That's all for now - if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Javier
Old 11-01-07, 05:39 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

It looks like the exhaust tips are sold separately, and if so they would be a nice addition for those who do not want to change the entire exhaust system:

Old 11-01-07, 05:40 AM
taylorjste
Pole Position

cant wait to hear that exhaust.. im assuming it's gotta cost at least as much as the lexus hks dual performance.. that means $1100+ for a catback system maybe i should bite the bullet on the tanabe..

Quick Reply: Lexus announces 'F-Sport' line of accessories for 2IS