IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Gen. noob ?s re: ISx50 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 03:47 PM
AntLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen. noob ?s re: ISx50 wheels

posted this in the wheels section with no responses so im trying my luck here...

Ive got an IS250 MT with OEM 17s. Ive just bought the OEM 18 X-Package wheels off ebay and had some questions regarding switching the wheels.

1) Do I need to go to the dealership to have these wheels calibrated for the TPMS to recognize these new wheels?
2) Once on, do they need to be aligned and balanced since Im going from a non-staggered to a staggered setup?
3) If so, do they need to be aligned and balanced each time they are switched?
4) I live in an area with defined summer and winter seasons so I will want to be able to switch freely from the 17s (with all weather tires) to the 18s (with summer tires). Will I be able to do this by myself, or do i need to go to a dealership each time? (read: is it hard to switch the tires or is it simple hooking up the TPMS sensors and at the same time not get an annoying message on my dash?)

thanks, any help is appreciated!
Old 10-31-07, 03:53 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AntLexus
posted this in the wheels section with no responses so im trying my luck here...

Ive got an IS250 MT with OEM 17s. Ive just bought the OEM 18 X-Package wheels off ebay and had some questions regarding switching the wheels.

1) Do I need to go to the dealership to have these wheels calibrated for the TPMS to recognize these new wheels?
2) Once on, do they need to be aligned and balanced since Im going from a non-staggered to a staggered setup?
3) If so, do they need to be aligned and balanced each time they are switched?
4) I live in an area with defined summer and winter seasons so I will want to be able to switch freely from the 17s (with all weather tires) to the 18s (with summer tires). Will I be able to do this by myself, or do i need to go to a dealership each time? (read: is it hard to switch the tires or is it simple hooking up the TPMS sensors and at the same time not get an annoying message on my dash?)

thanks, any help is appreciated!
Well first off do you have an extra set of sensors, if you don't you will have a slight prob. To have no light come on all wheels have to have the sensors or each time you want to change back and forth between wheels you will have to have the tires unmounted abd then remounted with the sensors.
Old 10-31-07, 03:55 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) No. With the right tire pressure, it should be no problem. If it's not working right with the new wheels, try resetting the ECU, I heard it solved the problem.

2) Alignment is always a must for new wheels. Just wait a week or two before doing it. You can always get it checked first if it needs to be aligned. Alignement check should be free at any wheel/tire store.

3) Switched as in rotated? Or switched as in new wheels? The answer to both is probably, but get the free alignment check first to make sure.

4) you can do it yourself, wheels switching itself but the TPMS will be left on the old wheels and that's the hard part of switching back and forth.