IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

for people that have bumper plugs......

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 12:01 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to ask the dealership to see if they'll fix it. If not, I'll probably have to get it fixed somewhere...
Old 11-12-07, 05:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twitte
Thanks for the photos. They look like a good quality plug.
for the actual BUMPERPLUGS.COM....no they don't....$1.99 for like 24 of those things at any autoparts store...and use the touch up paint....come on guys! Twitte, yours look just as good!!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 11-12-07 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 06:05 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

they look good enough for me
Old 11-12-07, 09:55 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you use bumper plugs you will need to drill larger holes... for sure... i made the mistake of trying to work them in and broke the plugs.... but the nice pplz at bumper plug sent me an extra set....
Old 11-12-07, 01:25 PM
Toptier
Pole Position

I did the same thing as twitte and it came out really good. Really easy to do. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-12-07, 02:12 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Toptier
I did the same thing as twitte and it came out really good. Really easy to do. Thanks for the idea.
I saw the larger plugs (similar to the one shown for bumperplugs) at NAPA when I was looking for the right plug but passed on it because of the larger diameter. NAPA actually has quite a selection of plugs and all you need to know is the diameter of the hole and the area you want to cover (take a small ruler with you). After you find the right size plug you punch a few holes in some cardboard, insert the plugs and paint them. It usually takes a few coats of paint (wait at least 30 minutes between coats). Then periodically, depending on the beating the plugs are taking inserted in your bumper, you may want to go back and touch them up from time to time (not a big deal).

Ted (aka twitte)
Old 11-12-07, 02:14 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did it! worked sweet, now i have to worry about getting pulled over for no front plate.. oh well they can "put it on my tab"
Old 11-12-07, 06:57 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Yeah, so I'm still holding the bumper plugs. The dealership won't fix it, so having the bumper plugs are useless with the two other dents. I'll take a few pics and post them the next time I wash the car.

The irony of it is that the way the dealership drilled the holes, they're not flush with the bumper. They more look like little volcanoes, so even the plugs from NAPA would be useless if I don't heat the plastic and push it back in or sand it down or drill a bigger hole..

My body shop guy up here in NorCal quoted me $100 to fix it (parts and labor). But still not sure if the $100 is worth it yet...
Old 11-12-07, 07:16 PM
Toptier
Pole Position

well at least you have 2 holes. My dealer used 2 long screws to screw on the Lexus paper plate so I have 4 holes.
Old 11-12-07, 07:33 PM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there not a license plate holder u can put on your car that doesn't require holes to be drilled in the front?
Old 11-12-07, 07:47 PM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Bumper Plugs

Originally Posted by mikeho
Yeah, so I'm still holding the bumper plugs. The dealership won't fix it, so having the bumper plugs are useless with the two other dents. I'll take a few pics and post them the next time I wash the car.

The irony of it is that the way the dealership drilled the holes, they're not flush with the bumper. They more look like little volcanoes, so even the plugs from NAPA would be useless if I don't heat the plastic and push it back in or sand it down or drill a bigger hole..

My body shop guy up here in NorCal quoted me $100 to fix it (parts and labor). But still not sure if the $100 is worth it yet...
My dealer drilled holes also looked like little volcanoes (good way to describe them) but... when I used the bumper plugs that I found at NAPA (mentioned above) they must have pushed in the plastic when I put them in the hole. They actually snapped in and held the material flush with the rest of the bumper. I was really surprised that they didn't stick out. I thought I was going to have to sand them down, or as a last resort, put the license plate back on. I wonder if you can touch up the other screw "dents" and put a clear bra over the bumper to help hide the damage? Just a thought.
Old 11-17-07, 05:52 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I guess I'm in a similar boat. I have the dealer drilled volcano holes plus two dents from the actual plate. :-(

mikeho, what does that $100 fix include? Just fixing the dents or fixing the holes too?
Old 11-27-07, 12:39 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twitte
My dealer drilled holes also looked like little volcanoes (good way to describe them) but... when I used the bumper plugs that I found at NAPA (mentioned above) they must have pushed in the plastic when I put them in the hole. They actually snapped in and held the material flush with the rest of the bumper. I was really surprised that they didn't stick out. I thought I was going to have to sand them down, or as a last resort, put the license plate back on. I wonder if you can touch up the other screw "dents" and put a clear bra over the bumper to help hide the damage? Just a thought.
I had my plate on tight also and it left a couple of black scuff marks. I been wanted to fix it, but how?
Old 11-27-07, 12:50 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by igofast
I had my plate on tight also and it left a couple of black scuff marks. I been wanted to fix it, but how?
I had those black scuffs too. i just used a machine polish 1 with my orbital...No more scuffs
Old 11-27-07, 01:52 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AznJason
I guess I'm in a similar boat. I have the dealer drilled volcano holes plus two dents from the actual plate. :-(

mikeho, what does that $100 fix include? Just fixing the dents or fixing the holes too?
Didn't get a notification for your reply. The $100 fix includes the dents, the holes, plus repainting the license plate area and blending it in with the rest of the bumper. Quote includes parts + labor.

Quick Reply: for people that have bumper plugs......