IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: take out the spare tire and jack or leave it in?
take out spare tire and jack...
16.98%
leave spare tire
83.02%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

take out spare tire or leave it in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 05:15 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Why would anyone want to remove the spare and jack in a day-to-day driving environment??? These aren't Formula 1 cars, and the amount of fuel you are ever going to save is negligible. If you want to drive lighter go to the gym and lose 30 lbs. That way you'll live longer, and drive longer.
For once i agree with you. This is another one of those ridiculous CL threads.
Old 11-03-07, 06:13 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
For once i agree with you. This is another one of those ridiculous CL threads.
Glad you finally can understand my wisdom. Perhaps we can end it this way, because sometimes threads just don't have value:

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-03-07 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-03-07, 09:05 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

i took mine out. can't seem to figure out how to get the jack out.
Old 11-03-07, 09:13 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the sake of not being stranded, keep it in. Even with TPMS, youll still need another way of moving the car, than to drive on the flat.
Old 11-03-07, 11:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Leave jack and tire out and fill your tires up with nitrogen (once you get your first nail in a tire, you will thank me).
Old 11-04-07, 12:13 AM
Zanorath
Pole Position

I leave mine in, but only because I wouldn't want to waste the time of putting it back in if I were to take a longer trip. On my last car I removed it and places my amp in the former location for a more stealth install. If you don't have a reason with any functionality though then why bother.

You are all assuming we would work on our own cars though, even with my spare and jack in, I can think of very few times where I would actually touch any of that myself. Maybe I'm weird, lazy, or inept, but I would call a tow truck, listen to music in the car until they arrived, and have them take my car to a tire shop near where I live. Happened once on my old car, cost around $200, big deal, it was worth it for me to not deal with it on the side of the freeway in the cold and rain =P
Old 11-05-07, 08:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the spare tire for fuel economy is rediculous, but there is a significant increase in trunk space with it removed. I removed my spare from my S2000 for that very reason, and only put it back in for long trips.
Old 11-05-07, 09:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by i3urton
well i would just call a friend to pick me up...its not a big deal...only on long trips would i put in my spare. my g/f thinks im being dumb.. but how many pplz actually got a flat tire in the first 2 years... i had my s2000 for 5 years and not one flat...maybe its cuz of my good luck with not having a flat iam so bold to take out my tire...
I've had my Honda Pilot for 3.5 years, and had nails 2 separate times which were unrepairable. Both times, I got lucky that they were slow leaks and fix-a-flat held for a few weeks.

You must have some great friends, b/c I'd be pissed if a "friend" called me to go pick up his spare tire from a remote location because he wanted to save $1.00 in gas by driving without it.
Old 11-05-07, 11:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I the only one who remembers you get free roadside assistance with your new lexus?

(though despite that I wouldn't remove the spare, especially for the rare time you're someplace without a cell signal, a nearby tow truck, or one of a slew of other potentially odd circumstances)
Old 11-05-07, 11:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I am in some ways fortunate I live in Mexico, we have guys called vulcanizadoras on every corner that will remove your tire, take if off the rim and put a patch on the inside, costs just about $5 USD per tire and you are in and out in about 15 minutes. My boss has done this many times with his Accord as has the majority of Mexicans I know.
Old 11-05-07, 11:33 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say take it out, paint over the hideous yellowish/green color of the spare tire and put it right back.
Old 11-05-07, 11:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a ISx50 come up behind me on a tollway...I noticed his right rear tire was really low....he followed me off at the next exit and his tire was completely flat and he continued to drive on it....finally the tire completely came off the rim!!! he finally decided to stop after rolling on the rim for a about 20 feet.

I sure hope he had his jack and spare!
Old 11-05-07, 12:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bagwell
I had a ISx50 come up behind me on a tollway...I noticed his right rear tire was really low....he followed me off at the next exit and his tire was completely flat and he continued to drive on it....finally the tire completely came off the rim!!! he finally decided to stop after rolling on the rim for a about 20 feet.

I sure hope he had his jack and spare!
You think the TPMS Light or Low Pressure warning light would have indicated him to stop much much sooner...
Old 11-05-07, 12:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Am I the only one who remembers you get free roadside assistance with your new lexus?

(though despite that I wouldn't remove the spare, especially for the rare time you're someplace without a cell signal, a nearby tow truck, or one of a slew of other potentially odd circumstances)
So you call roadside assist, wait who-knows-how-long, have them tow you to the nearest Lexus dealer (I don't think they just drop you at home), have someone come pick you up, and then drive you back (with your spare if you need a new tire and don't want to pay dealer prices)?

I really can't see the upside to putting yourself in this situation. Certainly, if you get a flat on the freeway, you don't want to have your *** hanging out into the right lane of traffic while you change the spare---you are going to call roadside assist, or AAA anyway (but you still have the hassle if you need to go "pick up" your spare). But, if you're 5 miles from home, on a side road, it's quicker just to change it your self.
Old 11-05-07, 01:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I only mentioned the free roadside because folks kept mentioning having to spend money on a tow or whatever... it was like they forgot you get it free... it still doesn't justify ditching the spare to save a couple pounds.

Quick Reply: take out spare tire or leave it in?