IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Toll Road Tansponder Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 01:16 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Our fastrack transponders work no matter where we put them. Glove box, center console, windshield, etc. Just be careful, because the CHP can and do give tickets if it isn't attached properly to the windshield (I have seen them along the fastpass entries and exits, looking for violators).
Old 11-04-07, 05:08 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonderfuly inputs.

It looks like I can place them over the dots without harming it.

Although, some of you have very clever ideas like sunglass holder and sunroof.

Since this is my wifey's car, I'll keep it officially legal and put it over the dots behind the rear view mirror.

Thanks again.
Old 11-12-07, 10:16 PM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about putting it behind the rearview mirror as well, but it'll block the dots which help absorb sound from the center console. Ya, i'm just being **** at this point lol.

Does it even fit in the sunglass compartment? Guess I'll try it.
Old 11-13-07, 04:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thanks guys.

VikDiddy,

You're tranponder is placed over the dots?
Mine is not that high on the windshield because the rain sensor for my wipers is all the way at the top. I mounted it right below that; it's behind my mirror, and I can barely see it from the drivers seat. I'm not sure what's the problem with putting velcro tape on the windshield--it comes off easily when you sell/turn in your car.
Old 11-13-07, 04:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
. I'm not sure what's the problem with putting velcro tape on the windshield--it comes off easily when you sell/turn in your car.
I only mount the transponder when on a toll road so the two velcro strips left on the windshield would look crappy.In fact the transponder unit looks ugly if left on the windshield.
That's why I use the 3 small suction cup holder.
Old 11-13-07, 05:29 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thanks guys.

VikDiddy,

You're tranponder is placed over the dots?
mine is hidden nicely on the dots....great location...very worst case scenario the dots come off?? big deal, use a freakin balck marker and make my own
Old 11-13-07, 05:32 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in MA and our "Fastlane" is very sensitive. it wont work behind the dots, it has to be mounted on the clear glass.

it got really annoying having to take it out and hold it to the windshield over 10 times per week. Ours are white and god ugly. i spray painted my transponder and velcro strips black and have it mounted up there. a lot of people ask me if i have one...it really looks good and is hardly noticeable. I have it mounted so the rear view mirror hides it to my view...so i dont even know its there. you really have to look hard from outside the car to tell what it is.

just another option for you
Old 11-13-07, 05:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

btw I think its so funny when people mount these things on the windshield 4" below the rear view mirror (or similar locations)....so ugly!
Old 11-13-07, 06:46 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting, in colorado there is only 1 toll road i know of E-470 to the airport, for the few times i go there i just pay cash. it must suck to live in a state to pay tolls everywhere you go.
in colorado there are so few toll roads ive forgotten what the rest of the US has to deal with.
Old 11-13-07, 06:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
btw I think its so funny when people mount these things on the windshield 4" below the rear view mirror (or similar locations)....so ugly!
Maybe so--but how my EZ Pass looks is just not high on my priority list.
Old 11-13-07, 06:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have mine also on the dots but to the right of the mirror. i placed all the way to the top next to the plastic piece for the rain sesor if you have that. i have my radar just below that so when i drive i dont see either and they dont obstruct any of the view. i have the display for the radar mounted in the ashtray area. i like that you dont see either from the outside of the car or in the car unless you sit on the passenger side. i will try to take some pics so everyone can see.
Old 11-13-07, 10:42 AM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the tollroads in dallas, tx i put the toll transponder in the top left of the windshield. its the best place. imo. well there or behind your rear view mirror.
Old 11-13-07, 11:04 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
interesting, in colorado there is only 1 toll road i know of E-470 to the airport, for the few times i go there i just pay cash. it must suck to live in a state to pay tolls everywhere you go.
in colorado there are so few toll roads ive forgotten what the rest of the US has to deal with.
actually there aren't any toll roads in San Diego, what we do have is FastTrak which lets you drive in the carpool lane while only having one person in the car for a fee of course.

I just keep mine in the driver side pocket and put it up when i need to, it would bother me if I saw it on my windshiled everday.
Old 11-13-07, 05:14 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r6z9r
actually there aren't any toll roads in San Diego, what we do have is FastTrak which lets you drive in the carpool lane while only having one person in the car for a fee of course.

I just keep mine in the driver side pocket and put it up when i need to, it would bother me if I saw it on my windshiled everday.
ahh i c, interesting.. so i guess they build the roads to have a lane for carpools only to find out not many people carpool and the additional lane with no traffic is not enough of an incentive for people to car pool. so witjh thoes lanes almost empty they now allow people to use them for a fee. what happens when everyone has a fast pass and the fast pass lane gets so full of traffic its just like all the other lanes?
Old 11-13-07, 05:14 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Maybe so--but how my EZ Pass looks is just not high on my priority list.
not high on mine either but it took me about 10 seconds to stick it on the dots so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!

Quick Reply: Toll Road Tansponder Mounting Location