IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Toll Road Tansponder Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 10:48 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Toll Road Tansponder Mounting Location

So our SouthBay (San Diego) tollroad is opening up shortly and I just received the Fastrak transponder. Per California law, I'm suppose to mount it behind the rear view mirror or left/right bottom front windshield corner. I want to mount behind the rear view mirror but I noticed there is the "matrix dots". My concern is if I place the velcro/tape on these matrix dots, the transponder may not work and the dots might pull off when I decide to take the transponder off in the future.

So........I'm stuck.

I know some of you will say leave it in glove box but since this is my wife's car, I need to mount this some place permanent.

The best would be to put it behind the mirror but you can see my concern.

Any suggetions ?
Am I overly concerned about the dots?
Old 11-03-07, 10:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I just put my fastrak on top of my dash when I pass through SF Bay Bridge......

It works!

And I hide it when I am done......
Old 11-03-07, 11:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't put those ugly velcro strips on your windshield.
Get a holder with the suction cups.I mount mine under the mirror when I'm on a toll road or it's in the glove compartment.
Old 11-03-07, 12:10 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

like someone here, I put it on the dash when I go through it and put it the door pocket when i'm done.
Old 11-03-07, 02:03 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much of a pain to get it out of the glove box. Mine is mounted behind the mirror and works fine.
Old 11-03-07, 02:09 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

I put mine with double sided tape to the sunroof. Not actually the glass but the sliding part on where your hand open and close the shades. Reason is I have tint on my windshield and it doesn't read so I had to go that way.Hope that helps. Gets it out of the way.
Old 11-03-07, 03:41 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys.

VikDiddy,

You're tranponder is placed over the dots?
Old 11-04-07, 12:38 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just leave mine in the glovebox. And it actually goes off most of the time.

I seen some guy smack the center divider at the benicia bridge fumbling in his center console to get the transponder out.

So long as your car is correctly registered with the transponder you have nothing to worry about if it doesn't go off. Someone will manually check your license plate to make sure its registered to an account and everything is fine.

One time Fasttrack kept incorrectly adding my credit card to my account so that it wouldn't auto bill me. Then every few weeks I would get 20-30 peices of mail saying I didn't pay toll. I would call them, give them my credit card into again and a month later the same thing would happen.

I was so pissed and frustrated that for the better part of one year, I took the transponders out of me and my wifes cars so that everyday we crossed the bridge, someone would have to manually bill our accounts.
Old 11-04-07, 05:21 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrapped my transponder unit in clear "contact paper" and placed it with clear tape in the glass part of the sunroof and it works great.
Old 11-04-07, 05:59 AM
JCIS250RWD
Rookie

I live in FL so our "sunpass" transponders are very thin. Mine fits in the flip down glasses holder thing. I took some Velcro put the soft side in the glasses holder(in case i want to actually use it one day) and the hard side on the transponder. When i go through the toll all i do is push it, it comes down and reads and the push it back up and i am done an ready to go!

JC
Old 11-04-07, 07:03 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

My Florida SunPass stays in the center console, and still works... Don't ask me how, but I hear it beep!
Old 11-04-07, 08:52 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TakaM
Thanks guys.

VikDiddy,

You're tranponder is placed over the dots?
Yes it is placed over the dots. Never had a problem.
Old 11-04-07, 09:28 AM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Don't put those ugly velcro strips on your windshield.
Get a holder with the suction cups.I mount mine under the mirror when I'm on a toll road or it's in the glove compartment.
+1. Dont put those ugly velcro strips on ur windshield. I leave the transponder in my door pocket. Easy to get 2 and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!
Old 11-04-07, 09:40 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Oh so the velcro strips are ugly? Great I need another set for my work transponder. OH well. I have my FasTrak on the driver side underneath the mirror - right on those dots. No problems yet.
Old 11-04-07, 10:25 AM
rjm07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TakaM
I want to mount behind the rear view mirror but I noticed there is the "matrix dots". My concern is if I place the velcro/tape on these matrix dots, the transponder may not work and the dots might pull off when I decide to take the transponder off in the future.
Live in CA and use Fastrak as well - mounted on the black "dots" behind rv mirror. Works fine.

Have done the same thing on 3 different cars, and the only problem is cleaning the adhesive residue off the dots left by the velcro strips. It doesn't appear to change/harm the dots, but the uneven surface (dots) does make the final cleaning a pain...

Quick Reply: Toll Road Tansponder Mounting Location