IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Break In and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 05:07 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the break-in incident, the good thing is that nobody got hurt and your insurance will cover the expenses. For what I can see in the pictures, those scratches can probably be removed without having to repaint the areas. If you take it to a good body shop they can remove most scratches with an extra-fine file? (I'm not sure I'm using the correct word here but maybe someone can assist with the proper term?) and the car will be good as new!
Old 11-04-07, 06:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sigh......sorry to hear about the break in. The dirtbag was probably looking for items to steal for a drug habit, and has probably done this before, as how many crooks are going to crawl in through the window to avoid setting the alarm off? So he is familiar with how to get around the alarm systems.

See if they can work the scratches out before resorting to repainting. If they have to repaint a good paint shop will be able to color match and blend in to the surrounding areas so you won't know it has been done.

I'm not impressed with Lexus' alarm system. I think it has been designed to be unobtrusive, but with no shock sensors a crook/vandal can get into the vehicle without raising the alarm. That's not good.

Again, so sorry to hear about the car. But at least no one is hurt. Remember, you and the safety of your loved ones is the most important thing. The lowlife may well have been armed, and who needs a nighttime meeting with a cracked up, gun/knife toting bum in a dark parking lot?

Keep us posted on the criminal's apprehension, and the more important part of getting your ride back to like new condition.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-04-07 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 08:11 AM
Namir
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear no one got hurt. The car can be repaired and whatever was stolen can be replaced. I'm sure you have already checked but usually doctors parking is really close to the hospital and they might have some security cameras you can take a look at.

On another note, the factory alarm system is quite disappointing, the fact that someone can just smash the window and jump around inside the car without setting off the alarm is disheartening.
Old 11-04-07, 09:18 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

well in some places alarms dont do anything... like in some parts of the O.C. I hearing alarms go off for a while is a common thing... everyone just get use to it...
Old 11-04-07, 09:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Those scratches are not into the color, they're just in the clearcoat. I would see if they can be buffed/cleared out before shooting any color on them.

Sorry for the frustration. We security professionals do say leave nothing visible in your car. Smash and run is an unfortunately common thing. I never leave my V-1 in sight with the car unattended because there are dirtbags just like this one who will smash the window and steal it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-04-07, 10:16 AM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

wow this is unfortunate, wouldnt expect this outside of MIa in south florida, this is kind of a wake up call.
Old 11-04-07, 10:19 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

sorry about what happened, glad no one was hurt. But that door and hood def. need to be painted. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-04-07, 11:00 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG... you guys just got that car... there are no words to express my feelings cept maybe, hollow/emptiness.
Old 11-04-07, 12:20 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

wow that sucks...hope you and your car and recover from this.....so the alarm doesnt go off when the passanger window is broken into?...and dont they have security patrol and cameras in the doctor parking lots?? And why break into a dr car..they help save lives no matter who they are...

Last edited by i3urton; 11-04-07 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-04-07, 01:04 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Is there a way to add shock sensors to our OEM alarm system? Or would we have to get a completely new alarm system to get this feature?
Old 11-04-07, 05:58 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sincityIS
Thats why I carry a gun. It is real fun making scum bags look down the barrel of my 40 cal. sig.
you're my hero
Old 11-04-07, 06:18 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

were the items left in plain sight such as on the seat?
Old 11-04-07, 11:56 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Thanks again for your kind words and support guys. To answer some of your questions...

I spoke with JM Lexus service today. Yes, they are open on Sundays! Absolutely no shock sensor on the factory alarm system It only sounds if the doors and hood are opened. Go figure, there is an alarm for everything else with the car (ie. seat belts, door open, fob left in the car...) but no theft deterrant shock alarm. He told me to call tomorrow and speak with the parts dept. to determine of Lexus can install shock sensors that are compatible with the OEM alarm.

The scratches on the hood either came from the lowlife stepping on the hood to look in (there are no dents at all) or from him placing a portion of the shattered but held together by the window tint glass on the hood. The scratches on the door were from the class.

There were no objects in plain view. There was a small black back that had a 16oz diet coke plastic bottle on the passengers side floor, but it was tucked up in the forward part of the foot well, thus out of the line of sight.

I'll keep you posted, particularly if they catch the (I want to call him bad words, but for the forum I'll say...>) lowlife.

The window will be replaced in 12 hours from now, tinted in 36 hours from now, then the body shop estimate in 40 hours from now. If the car is in the shop, as I mentioned, I'll rent something neat for a week. This is such an inconvenience and bad feeling to have done. I realize it is really a small thing that could happen in the big picture of "life events", but still. It hurts.
Old 11-05-07, 08:53 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about this. Mine was "hit" while in my locked garage at my house last year. Even though the crime was greatly elevated by braking into an occupied residence, the cops wouldn't even take finger prints.

It took the Lexus dealership 3 weeks (and $2000) to fix it without any paint work. They had to replace the inner door panel, and several other interior trim pieces that were scratched.
Attached Thumbnails IS350 Break In and Theft-100_0185-small-.jpg  
Old 11-05-07, 09:24 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm sorry to hear about this. Mine was "hit" while in my locked garage at my house last year. Even though the crime was greatly elevated by braking into an occupied residence, the cops wouldn't even take finger prints.

It took the Lexus dealership 3 weeks (and $2000) to fix it without any paint work. They had to replace the inner door panel, and several other interior trim pieces that were scratched.
Just curious, but why lock your vehicle in a locked garage? My theory would be if they broke into the house, they'll break into the car. So minimize the damage to the car and just leave it unlocked in the garage. But hide the keys.

I suppose we could do another poll: "How many people lock their cars in a locked garage?"

Quick Reply: IS350 Break In and Theft