IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Break In and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 09:44 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was Lexus thinking. Shock sensors are so old that they should of incorporated them into the oem alarm.

My 1996 Acura Integra has shock sensors with an alarm that costs $200.
Old 11-05-07, 10:00 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm sorry to hear about this. Mine was "hit" while in my locked garage at my house last year. Even though the crime was greatly elevated by braking into an occupied residence, the cops wouldn't even take finger prints.

It took the Lexus dealership 3 weeks (and $2000) to fix it without any paint work. They had to replace the inner door panel, and several other interior trim pieces that were scratched.
Greg what did they take? I never knew that about. That is major ***** to come in a garage in texas and do that. Texans pack some heat pretty much all the time since we are allowed to carry concealed guns.

I have a story for you i am going to email you. I had some crime hit me last week.
Old 11-05-07, 10:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Ouch Mari!!!

Sorry about the Bad News!! ..

Any issues with the interior??? I guess it could have been much worse..

One of my biggest complaints with Lexus, is not GIVING us USA owners the option to purchase the seperate "Shock Sensor(s)" for our cars.

Believe it or not, markets out side the US have the shock sensors. Along with the Auto Folding mirrors, Window roll up & sunroof close with key fob and optional Auto start with Fob as well...
There's probably a few more things too..

Same problem on the 1st Gen IS's too and just about every Lexus in the USA with just the factory OEM Alarm.

I had an aftermarket shock sensor hooked into my OEM Lexus Alarm on my IS300.. The "Dual Shock Sensor from DEI" worked like a charm... !

I think one can be installed with out having an extra key fob on the new ISx50

Hope you get it back to new quickly....

As others have mentioned, if the scracthes did not pass the clear coat, then a professional detailer can get those out.. If they are in the paint, then forget it... its a repaint deal for sure...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 11-05-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 10:39 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Boy, I hate to read about your misfortune, DTG.

If you haven't already committed to JM Lexus for the repairs, you might have The Auto Salon at 1650 S. Powerline Road in Deerfield Beach take a look at the paint scratches.

They do great work, and specialize in high end cars. Andres Rivas is the Operations Manager. His number is 954-481-1615 x 17.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-07, 10:47 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your car.
Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Old 11-05-07, 11:10 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Just curious, but why lock your vehicle in a locked garage? My theory would be if they broke into the house, they'll break into the car. So minimize the damage to the car and just leave it unlocked in the garage. But hide the keys.

I suppose we could do another poll: "How many people lock their cars in a locked garage?"
I try to leave my car unlocked in the garage, but sometimes I still lock it out of habit. However, I think it is arguably better to instinctively lock the car in EVERY situation without thinking about it. Otherwise, you might forget to lock it when it really needs to be locked.

I have an attached garage with a door leading straight into the house that I never lock, so the theives could have easily walked right into my house as well. They must have gone into my garage while I was mowing the yard (with the garage door open), and unlocked one of the windows. Later on that night, they just crawled in through the window. They are lucky that my dogs didn't hear them, or I would have been out there with my pistol in no time flat. Well, I guess I'm lucky my dogs didn't hear them too, since I wouldn't want the guilt of killing someone over a radar detector.

BTW, I don't think a shock sesor is really the right choice for this type of break-in unless the theives use a rubber mallet. A regular hammer wouldn't trigger a shock sensor unless it was set very sensitive (not practical due to falsing). A glass breakage sensor (triggered by sound) would be much better.
Old 11-05-07, 11:10 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

ouch.......so sorry.

for the theif.
Old 11-05-07, 11:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Very sorry to read this and glad everyone is safe.

Color matching shouldn't be a big issue since your car is so new.
Old 11-05-07, 11:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Gernby

BTW, I don't think a shock sesor is really the right choice for this type of break-in unless the theives use a rubber mallet. A regular hammer wouldn't trigger a shock sensor unless it was set very sensitive (not practical due to falsing). A glass breakage sensor (triggered by sound) would be much better.

I should re-phrase and mention that I had a "Dual Shock Sensor" from DEI..

Very different from just a regular shock sensor...

Jz
Old 11-05-07, 04:07 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Oh Gernby... I'm so sad for your car. It hurts just looking at it.

Update on my situation. Much progress made and looking good.

I spent much of Sunday cleaning glass from the car and I cleaned all of the leather and interior. Aside from a few minor rub marks, the interior was not damaged. But still, I had to get the "feeling" of a lowlife out of my car.

Today (Monday), the window was replaced and re-tinted. More to this... The insurance company uses Safe Lite Auto Glass. Safe Lite sent a tech with 18 years experience. However, the glass they wanted to install was an aftermarket, lesser quality. I did not allow him to touch the car. They said it would be another day or two to get Lexus OEM glass. Frustrated, I called JM Lexus and sure enough, they had one ISx50 front-passenger glass in stock and could accomodate me immediately. More so, JM Lexus total charge was $435 for the repair while the Safe Lite company was going to charge $589 for crappy glass. I spoke with my insurance company who is taking this issue to the appropriate levels and yes, they are reimbursing me for the glass repair. BTW... nice to have a zero deductable as it already paid for the difference in policy costs between zero and say a $250 deductable.

The JM Lexus body shop is supurb! I will have them do the rest of the work as well. Sadly, my hood, front quarter panel, and front-passenger door have to be repainted. The scratches are deep, to the white primer level. It will take 3 days to do and they will arrange an ES or RX as a rental which is covered by insurance. Total charge to repaint the car and reinstall the clear bra is less than I thought it would be, only $1,450. This Friday, the insurance adjuster will come to the house and we'll come to terms. I'll have the work done next week.

If anyone knows of a shock sensor that can be added to the OEM alarm, please let us all know. Something like what Joe Z mentioned.
Old 11-05-07, 05:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
However, the glass they wanted to install was an aftermarket, lesser quality. I did not allow him to touch the car. They said it would be another day or two to get Lexus OEM glass. Frustrated, I called JM Lexus and sure enough, they had one ISx50 front-passenger glass in stock and could accomodate me immediately.
Good catch on the aftermarket glass. But that's too bad on having to repaint. But if it is done right you'll never know the difference. When you pick it up be sure to look at it outside during daylight, and look at it from different angles to check for color mismatch. So in ten days or so you should be back to 'normal' ..... which is good.
Old 11-05-07, 05:28 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

wow broken into your house? I leave my garage open often and even leave the door unlocked ocasssionally by accident.... I guess I am fortunate to live in a city where the crime done is normally speeding and litering...
Old 11-05-07, 08:16 PM
ChrisChow
Driver School Candidate

The Florida police department took prints are are looking for the perp? Kudos to them. Alameda police found my stolen turbo Buick in Oakland, California. They didn't bother doing prints because it was only a "stolen car" situation and they didn't want to dust the interior surfaces. Any prints on the exterior can be easily defended by the public attorney Again, KUDOS to the Florida cops and I hope they catch the perp.
Old 11-05-07, 09:07 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

fell sorry for ya,i know how it feels. I used to have a camery 06 and some one broke into it. I had to paint the door and replace the dooe's window.
Old 11-05-07, 11:02 PM
1022it
Pole Position

metalflake paint will never ever perfectly match factory paint. they should get really close. i hope it turns out unnoticeable.

Quick Reply: IS350 Break In and Theft