Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deng i hate low life....tisk tiskkk hope it works out well for you :P
Old 11-06-07, 05:04 AM
Letz250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear what happened.
It's astonishing Lexus does not incorporate the intrusion sensor everywhere, criminality isn't a local issue. The Euro models don't come with a simple shock sensor but have sort of an ultrasonic detector to survey the interior. I's a small metal box hidden in the front dome light assembly:

I tried locking the car with a window open, then stretched my arm into the car and the alarm sounded immediately. It's a very reliable system -never had a false alarm-and can be activated/deactivated with a simple push of a button. This should be standard!
Old 11-06-07, 05:31 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I should re-phrase and mention that I had a "Dual Shock Sensor" from DEI..

Very different from just a regular shock sensor...

Jz
Yes a very effective sensor, but I must add a few more. I have 5 sensors in my car. Yes I'm a bit **** lol. I have two DEI dual shock sensors...one in the front section of the car and one in the rear section. One DEI tilt sensor. One DEI Proximity sensor which sounds off if someone gets too close to the outside of the car...such as cupping hands up to windows to see what's inside. One internal pressure sensor. The pressure sensor is more accurate than the glass break sensor. The glass break sensor can be bypassed if you put a cloth up wo the window and hit it with a very sharp tipped object at a high velocity. Goal is to break the glass without creating a high pitched cracking sound. The pressure sensor on the other hand senses a pressure differential. So basically if a window is rolled down, door is opened, or window broken...it will sense a sudden air pressure change and sound the alarm.

My alarm module is also on a internal hidden battery backup system so the alarm will still continue to function and sound off the siren even if the theif disconnects the wire off my car battery. Oh yeah, don't forget the horns and sirens. I have 7 and yes it's very loud when it sounds off lol. 3 of the sirens have internal battery backup so that means if the theif cuts the physical wire going to the siren, it will still be going off. A hot potato if you will. To disable it you will have to smash the siren into pieces.

My friends say my alarm is overkill, but I just like to take precautions

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to mention the interior sirens. I have 6 of the so called "pain generator" piezo sirens. It sounds at such a frequency and volume that you have to cup your ears. The sound is incredibly painful especially in an enclosed space with 6 of them going off. The point of the internal sirens is to deter the theif from cutting the wires to the alarm. When you have to cover your ears, it makes it much more difficult to rip apart the dash and tear out the wires.

Yes it's true no alarm system is bulletproof. But the whole point of a good alarm system is to prolong the amount of time it takes a theif to disable it or give up on it all together.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 11-06-07 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-06-07, 06:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, no alarm would prevent this. It would just increase the chances of the guy getting caught by a small amount. As I said earlier, I'm glad I didn't have an alarm, since it could have wound up with me killing a teenager who was just stealing a radar detector.
Old 11-08-07, 12:13 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

I feel that if the alarm had a sensative shock or proximity sensor, the alarm going off when the lowlife was pressing on the glass and looking into the car, would have detered him.

With that, I called a reputable local shop today who does alarms and such. I explained that I did not want a complete aftermarket alarm, but I did want to add sensors to the existing alarm. After discussion, they suggested the following:
1. Add two shock sensors, set to very sensative so that the slightest pressure on the glass would set them off. They would be tied into the door open wiring.
2. Pass on the proximity sensor as it would be constantly going off.
3. Add an additional loud siren that is at least 120 decibles that would only sound off if the shock sensors are activated. This is in addition to the factory horn going off.

Total cost will be around $300 for parts and labor. The factory alarm will still work exactly the same with the exception being the additional sensors and siren.

I'll have the work done this upcoming Friday after the insurance adjuster does his thing and we agree on terms of reimbursement.
Old 11-08-07, 02:16 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
1. Add two shock sensors, set to very sensative so that the slightest pressure on the glass would set them off.
Make sure the alarm is easily adjustable by you, in the case that its too sensitive. Any Harley Davidson with exhaust could set that alarm off easy. It will rattle everything in your car, including your glass. Just a suggestion, sorry to hear about your car.
Old 11-08-07, 06:04 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
Make sure the alarm is easily adjustable by you, in the case that its too sensitive. Any Harley Davidson with exhaust could set that alarm off easy. It will rattle everything in your car, including your glass. Just a suggestion, sorry to hear about your car.
I agree completely. After a bunch of complaints from neighbors about your alarm going off every time a bird lands on it ... I imagine you'll pretty much just disable it.
Old 11-08-07, 06:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
Agree completely. My alarm in my WRX is on the sensitive side and when I park in some parking garages where the floor tends to flex when cars drive by it will sometimes set the alarm off. And heavy thunderclaps in the summer (or a loud motorcyle) can also set the alarm off. Just make sure there is a sensitivity adjustment on it, otherwise it will lose its effectiveness.
Old 11-08-07, 07:31 AM
TonySwank
Driver School Candidate

The only motion sensor alarm that I've had experience with was on my 3 series. I am not sure the specs on it but it worked great for six years, never once had a false alarm. The one time someone did try to get by prying back the weather stripping it went off in time to scare them away.

One problem was me forgetting about it and my old girlfriend leaving her dog in the car. It was a little yorkie, so it kept hopping around in there during a 20 minute stop at the grocery store. Sucked for all the people loading their cars around mine.

Maybe if they put those in all cars parents wouldn't have to go to jail for leaving their kid in the car.
Old 11-08-07, 08:53 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

If you intall the sensors, these trips will have to be curtailed.

Old 11-08-07, 09:40 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Letz250
Sorry to hear what happened.
It's astonishing Lexus does not incorporate the intrusion sensor everywhere, criminality isn't a local issue. The Euro models don't come with a simple shock sensor but have sort of an ultrasonic detector to survey the interior. I's a small metal box hidden in the front dome light assembly:

I tried locking the car with a window open, then stretched my arm into the car and the alarm sounded immediately. It's a very reliable system -never had a false alarm-and can be activated/deactivated with a simple push of a button. This should be standard!
^^ This looks very interesting... I wonder if this can be retrofitted into our US Models???

Any more pics of the General area...??
Also, do you NOT have a Sunglass holder in that area due to the oem detector??

Joe Z
Old 11-08-07, 10:23 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

I'd be happy to lose my sunglass holder to gain the oem detector if indeed that is the location of the detector.
Old 11-08-07, 11:06 AM
Yousef
Driver School Candidate

note to jeffstai:

don't ever leave an animal in your car by accident
Old 11-08-07, 12:20 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
I'd be happy to lose my sunglass holder to gain the oem detector if indeed that is the location of the detector.
It was either the motion detector or the coin holder for 2008. Lexus, knowing their customer base, went with the very popular coin holder instead.
Old 11-08-07, 01:36 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Unfortunately, no alarm would prevent this. It would just increase the chances of the guy getting caught by a small amount.
eh it depends... I had the alarm sirens, two of them, mounted in the interior of my old car and a third in the trunk. There's no way in HELL anyone could sit in that car for more than a second without goign deaf

Quick Reply: IS350 Break In and Theft