IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Break In and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 02:10 PM
Letz250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ This looks very interesting... I wonder if this can be retrofitted into our US Models???

Any more pics of the General area...??
Also, do you NOT have a Sunglass holder in that area due to the oem detector??

Joe Z
The sensor is located where the US cars have the sunglass holder:

sensor detail: (89732-53090 = part number?)

No problems when leaving pets in the car.
activation/deactivation with this button when Ignition is OFF:

Old 11-08-07, 03:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Wow - sweet!! Nice pics...
Old 11-09-07, 01:23 PM
truoutkast
Pole Position

that's so sweeet.
Old 11-10-07, 08:05 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

a couple suggestions about your insurance..

first of all trust me when i tell you over the long haul you will pay substantially more than its worth in your monthly premiums than you will save if you carry a 500.00 deductible. this is one incident the odds of having that happen again are pretty remote. ask your insurance agent how much it will cost tocarry a 500- 1000 deductible and see if the savings over a 2-3 year period are worth it. i think you will find that the additional price you pay for a 0 deductible will be more then 500 dollars over a 3 year period.

secondly, your items stolen goes on your home insurance. theft and fire are the 2 worst types of claims you can make on home insurance because they are the most commonly abused for insurance fraud. i am not saying your committing insurance fraud but many people do.
it's probably too late and i dont know what your company's policy is but even if you decide not to file the claim they will still hold it against you.
if you end up needing to file another claim with your insurance company in the next 3 years or less there is a really good chance you will get dropped. so unless your theft loss was more than a few thousand dollars i would not claim it.
and for your sake i hope you dont have state farm or american family. there is a good chance they will non renew your policy after this claim.

good luck!
Old 11-10-07, 04:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I agree completely. Over insurance is such a huge waste of money, and I always carry the highest deductible my lenders will allow. If you can possibly afford a $1K deductible in the most freakish incident, then it's financially irresponsible to have a deductible less than $1K on anything. Having a $0 deductilble is for people that live paycheck to paycheck, and are living beyond their means.
Old 11-10-07, 10:45 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, on the positive side, your car is now "broken in". you can floor it now.
Old 11-11-07, 04:15 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

i feel your pain. a month wow. people these days. sorry to hear of your incident. at least no one was hurt. everything is by far replaceable
Old 11-11-07, 06:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yes a very effective sensor, but I must add a few more. I have 5 sensors in my car. Yes I'm a bit **** lol. I have two DEI dual shock sensors...one in the front section of the car and one in the rear section. One DEI tilt sensor. One DEI Proximity sensor which sounds off if someone gets too close to the outside of the car...such as cupping hands up to windows to see what's inside. One internal pressure sensor. The pressure sensor is more accurate than the glass break sensor. The glass break sensor can be bypassed if you put a cloth up wo the window and hit it with a very sharp tipped object at a high velocity. Goal is to break the glass without creating a high pitched cracking sound. The pressure sensor on the other hand senses a pressure differential. So basically if a window is rolled down, door is opened, or window broken...it will sense a sudden air pressure change and sound the alarm.

My alarm module is also on a internal hidden battery backup system so the alarm will still continue to function and sound off the siren even if the theif disconnects the wire off my car battery. Oh yeah, don't forget the horns and sirens. I have 7 and yes it's very loud when it sounds off lol. 3 of the sirens have internal battery backup so that means if the theif cuts the physical wire going to the siren, it will still be going off. A hot potato if you will. To disable it you will have to smash the siren into pieces.

My friends say my alarm is overkill, but I just like to take precautions

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot to mention the interior sirens. I have 6 of the so called "pain generator" piezo sirens. It sounds at such a frequency and volume that you have to cup your ears. The sound is incredibly painful especially in an enclosed space with 6 of them going off. The point of the internal sirens is to deter the theif from cutting the wires to the alarm. When you have to cover your ears, it makes it much more difficult to rip apart the dash and tear out the wires.

Yes it's true no alarm system is bulletproof. But the whole point of a good alarm system is to prolong the amount of time it takes a theif to disable it or give up on it all together.
Nice. Ever see a car on a flatbed being towed away with sirens blaring? Not much help there, and no one's going to question it for a second - it happens every day...

Keep your insurance paid. Hope the dirtbag steals and totals your car. All the alarms in the world won't get casual bystanders to take notice in the US.
Old 11-16-07, 09:39 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

**Update**Update**

My NEW IS350 is like "new" again!! To sum it up...

1. JM Lexus did a GREAT job painting the car. The hood, right front quarter panel thingy, and the front passenger door were all painted. I looks EXACTLY like it did when new. As expected, the JM body shop provided superior service, as they did when they replaced the broken glass.

2. They detailed (polished) the outside and conditioned the inside..exactly like the new car on the showroom floor. JM Lexus will comp me another detail in a month. No swirls BTW.

3. Clear bra on the hood and right front quarter will be replaced on Tuesday.

4. I had the OEM alarm upgraded. DEI (which also makes Viper and Clifford) shock sensor and proximity sensor has been added to the car. I also had them put on an additional horn that only goes off when the alarm sounds. It is an "auughhaa" horn at 140 decibles! It is so loud and everyone looks when the alarm goes off.

It feels sooooooo good to have the IS back and in like new condition. I also have a greater sense of security knowing that the alarm has been upgraded.
Old 11-16-07, 09:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DTG........I'm very happy that things worked out well for you.
Good things happen to good people. Hopefully you'll have no problems with your baby, especially with your upgraded alarm system.......

Later.....
Old 11-16-07, 09:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ah good to see you have everything fixed up. Looks like you took my advice about upgrading the alarm
Old 11-17-07, 11:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Not to steal your thunder or anything, but I think the idea was given around post# 33..

DTG - Glad to hear you have your car back as good as new..!!

Make sure you either ask the paint shop or the clear bra installer if there is a waiting period for the new paint on the hood & fender.. Trust me you don't want to have the new pieces installed if the paint hasn't properly cured.

Also, If you can send me some info regarding the alarm upgrade, that would be great.
I am ready to get mine done asap.. or it could be a project I can tackle myself as long as I know which senors / model they used.

Thank You
Joe Z
Old 11-17-07, 11:38 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was a prescription pad stolen?
Old 11-18-07, 07:19 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by DropTopGal
I feel that if the alarm had a sensative shock or proximity sensor, the alarm going off when the lowlife was pressing on the glass and looking into the car, would have detered him.

With that, I called a reputable local shop today who does alarms and such. I explained that I did not want a complete aftermarket alarm, but I did want to add sensors to the existing alarm. After discussion, they suggested the following:
1. Add two shock sensors, set to very sensative so that the slightest pressure on the glass would set them off. They would be tied into the door open wiring.
2. Pass on the proximity sensor as it would be constantly going off.
3. Add an additional loud siren that is at least 120 decibles that would only sound off if the shock sensors are activated. This is in addition to the factory horn going off.

Total cost will be around $300 for parts and labor. The factory alarm will still work exactly the same with the exception being the additional sensors and siren.

I'll have the work done this upcoming Friday after the insurance adjuster does his thing and we agree on terms of reimbursement.
Where did you get the alarm upgrade done at?
Old 01-31-08, 04:18 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So has anyone else gotten the shock sensors and window breaker sensors installed? is the toyota part above just plug and play?

Quick Reply: IS350 Break In and Theft