IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Break In and Theft

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 10:50 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Break In and Theft

For the first time ever, I have been victimized by a low-life. My husband took the IS to work today and while parked in the doctors' parking spaces, my IS350 was broken into and some items stolen. The dirtbag broke through the passenger window, crawled through the window thus to avoid activating the alarm, and stole some items. The items stolen are of importance to the police, but those can be replaced. The window will be fixed Monday and tinted on Tuesday. When the car was out of the dark (night time) and in the garage, we then noticed the scratches on the hood and door where the criminal must have put the broken glass before it slid off the car. Fortunately, we have a zero deductable and the insurance company will take care of this.

The lowlife left detailed palm prints on the exterior that allowed the police to obtain prints. Detectives will be working on the case next week and they are pretty confident that the criminal's print is already on file. Fort Lauderdale Police is a decent dept. and they have a physical description of the criminal from a witness who saw him looking in car windows in the adjacent parking lot. Blk male, approx 5'6", 150lbs, mid-30s, shoulder length dreads, blue shirt.

My poor IS! Not even a month old! I feel soooo violated , but taking it in stride. After all, it is only a car and no one was hurt.

Based on the pics, do you guys think that the hood and door need to be repainted? If so, do you think there will be an issue with color matching? Thanks....

Old 11-03-07, 10:56 PM
datboililp
Rookie

wow what is the world coming to... glad no1 was hurt though, good luck with everything
Old 11-03-07, 11:12 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

ouch. that really sucks. but hopefully the catch the guy. and good thing no one was hurt and like u said, things can be replaced. but those scratches look pretty deep. can u put ur nail in it? if so, i dont think u can buff it out. but at least insurance will pay for it? just make sure u find a good body shop. when my car got all key'd up, the shop i went to did a pretty good job, looks brand new to me.
Old 11-03-07, 11:18 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

poor car...
Old 11-03-07, 11:22 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that no one was hurt. I guess your husband is a doctor? I see his gown and stethoscope on the seat. You can take the car to any reputable body shop and they will match the paint and repair it just like new.

Did you park the vehicle under a well lit area? Avoid dark and secluded spots.
Old 11-03-07, 11:23 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about this! Does the alarm not go off if you just break the window? That's kind of weird.

The paint... maybe it can be wetsanded?
Old 11-03-07, 11:38 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

well since the insurance is taking care of it. just have them do everything. your window, tint and paint.
Old 11-04-07, 12:15 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Wow, first let me say sorry about what happened, thats terrible and I hope they catch the guy. Second, while Im not sure that the scratches can be totally removed I know for a fact that they can be made to look a lot better and perhaps even to the point of barely noticeable.
Old 11-04-07, 12:21 AM
Zanorath
Pole Position

Sorry to see that happen to your baby, I think I would cry if someone did that to mine. My roommate bumped the side of mine with a garbage can and left a dull looking abrasion and it buffed out to perfection at the dealer (for free!). Unfortunately I think those scratched are going to require quite a bit more than that, find a reputable place to take your car though and you won't tell the difference once its fixed.

I've always worried about my IS, I work in a town with a fairly high crime rate. Many other less expensive cars have been hit by thieves in the same parking lot but none of mine have ever broken into. The only reason I can think of is that I leave my car within sight of my store, and I leave *nothing* in my car that can be seen, ever. Typically these guys aren't vandalizing to spite you, but they see something in the car that they want, or at least, think they want. I figure taking that out of the equation is what makes the difference.
Old 11-04-07, 12:40 AM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Thanks for the kind words of support guys.

The alarm did not sound because the doors were not opened. Per the police officers who respond to many of these types of crimes, as with most OEM alarms, the Lexus alarm system does not have window shock sensors and will only alarm if the door is opened. I didn't know that and am disappointed that Lexus didn't incorportate shock sensors. Oh well. There was nothing visible to be stolen and the 20% tint at night has the car nearly impossible to view into.

Double checking the scratches, I can definately run my finger nail into some of the scratches. Looks like the hood and door will have to be repainted. We have very good insurance, so I'm hopeful that it will turn out as if it never happened.

For the week or so that the car will be in the shop, to ease my pain, I'll rent something fun to drive. Still, what a pain in the buttt...> the inconvenience and feeling of being violated by a lowlife. I strongly feel that the Fort Lauderdale Police will get this guy. What he stole elevated the crime to a serious felony.
Old 11-04-07, 12:48 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

glad no one was hurt and you're taking this pretty ok. i know how you feel. my other car was stolen but the police caught him within 36 hour...in the car. when i picked up my car at the impound lot, i expected damage but not even a scratch. so i felt violated just that someone else ownd my car for a couple of day but it must really suck when they leave behind damage and steal your stuff. i should add, the cops let this guy who stole my car out of jail already but i don't care. don't know how you feel about the whole criminal aspect, i just wanted it to be over with.
Old 11-04-07, 12:52 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to see things like this happen. It has happened to me in the past as well. As long as everyone is ok, the car will be fixed, goodluck!!
Old 11-04-07, 12:56 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats why I carry a gun. It is real fun making scum bags look down the barrel of my 40 cal. sig.
Old 11-04-07, 01:07 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch... hope you get everything fixed and that they catch the guy... Just curious... how did he damage the hood area?
Old 11-04-07, 03:34 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad luck - I suppose seeing the car parked in a doctor's spot and the scrubs inside the lowlife guessed there might be drugs in the vehicle - might be an idea not to advertise the fact that your husband is in the medical profession in future.

I'm surprised the alarm didn't go off, my IS has the sensors that detect movement inside the vehicle, is the spec different over there?

Quick Reply: IS350 Break In and Theft