IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What does IS stand for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 04:05 PM
FASKINE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually spoke to Lexus Reps that were involved in designing the 2nd Gen IS and yes folks it is International Sedan. If your a chick driver then it would be Is for "Im Sexy"
Old 11-10-07, 08:06 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FASKINE
If you really want to know, IS stands for International Sedan. Belive me I sell them for a living so I think I know what I'm talking about.
Originally Posted by FASKINE
I actually spoke to Lexus Reps that were involved in designing the 2nd Gen IS and yes folks it is International Sedan. If your a chick driver then it would be Is for "Im Sexy"
I guess you guys didn't bother clicking on the link provided earlier in this thread, so I'll quote myself...
Originally Posted by javyLSU
We're all assuming that what 'IS' meant for the 1st Gen hasn't changed for the 2nd Gen... As we all know, they're completely different cars. I'm not doubting your source, JD - but that book is a 3rd party publication written by a Chester Dawson, a reporter, not from Lexus. The 2nd Gen IS has repeatedly been refererred to as "Intelligent Sport." As has been posted already, it's currently quoted as such on the Lexus website itself. I wouldn't doubt if the very concept of 'IS' changed from "International Sedan" to "Intelligent Sport" with the redesign of the car.

From the Lexus website 'IS Overview' video:

Javier
Javier
Old 11-10-07, 09:54 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Wikipedia (the best online reference source), it is Intelligent Sport:

The Lexus IS is a series of entry-level luxury cars/compact executive cars produced by the Lexus marque of Toyota Motor Corporation. The IS was introduced as an entry-level sport model slotted below the ES in the Lexus lineup and competing against the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Nissan Skyline/Infiniti G35 sports sedans. The IS was originally sold as the Toyota Altezza in Japan until the introduction of the second generation Lexus IS design. The Altezza name is still used at times to depict chromed car taillights like those known on the first generation model.

The first generation Altezza (codename XE10) was launched in Japan in October 1998, while the Lexus IS 200 (JCE10) made its debut in Europe in 1999 and in North America as the IS 300 in 2000. The first generation, I6-powered IS featured sedan and wagon variants. The second generation IS (GSE20) was launched globally in 2006 with V6-powered IS 250 and IS 350 sedan models. A high-performance V8 version, the IS-F, premiered in 2007. According to Lexus, the IS designation stands for Intelligent Sport.