IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extended Warranty to 100K COverage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 12:17 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of putting whatever cash the warranty would cost in a savings account. If nothing major breaks before you sell your car. You just saved yourself some cash. If something DOES brake--hopefully the amount you saved up would cover it.
Old 11-18-07, 07:55 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruxader
my issue with the extended warranty is that in my experience with Lexus products, there haven't been any issues between the 4 and 7 year timeframe. My failures all occured in the 8-10 year mark, which means the extra 3 years were useless.
So I am a bit different because I put about 60k a year on the car, therefore age isn't really an issue but mileage is. I wonder if there would be less point in the extended warranty in my situation because parts wouldn't go bad from age? I was leaning towards getting it only because of the high cost of Lexus parts & Labor.
Old 11-19-07, 05:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't read the Lexus extended warranty, but I DID read the Acura extended warranty because I had it, and had a fight about it.

My auto dimming mirror went bad, and didn't dim any more. Honda Financial denied the extended warranty claim. The warranty had exclusions for "mirrors" and "trim". The problem was that it wasn't the glass in the mirror, but liquid/electronics behind it that went bad (after 5 years). They also referred to the rear view mirror as a "trim" piece. Considering it's a mandated safety item, I'm not sure how they can claim this, but for sure, they could fit a lot of stuff in this category. Even though electronics were clearly INCLUDED in the warranty, they wouldn't pay. I told them--if the faceplate to my stereo was broken, it's a trim piece and not covered, but if the electronics in the stereo are faulty, it's covered--HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT?? No dice. In fact, the dealer agreed with me, and comp'ed me the price of the part.

So--look at all the exclusions carefully.
Old 11-19-07, 05:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I haven't read the Lexus extended warranty, but I DID read the Acura extended warranty because I had it, and had a fight about it.

My auto dimming mirror went bad, and didn't dim any more. Honda Financial denied the extended warranty claim. The warranty had exclusions for "mirrors" and "trim". The problem was that it wasn't the glass in the mirror, but liquid/electronics behind it that went bad (after 5 years). They also referred to the rear view mirror as a "trim" piece. Considering it's a mandated safety item, I'm not sure how they can claim this, but for sure, they could fit a lot of stuff in this category. Even though electronics were clearly INCLUDED in the warranty, they wouldn't pay. I told them--if the faceplate to my stereo was broken, it's a trim piece and not covered, but if the electronics in the stereo are faulty, it's covered--HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT?? No dice. In fact, the dealer agreed with me, and comp'ed me the price of the part.

So--look at all the exclusions carefully.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/warra...rotection.html
Old 11-19-07, 10:31 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Keep in mind that our cars already have a 6/year 70k warranty on powertrain, so we'd mostly just be gaining an extension on that and a little more bumper to bumper...

Just got the following email surrounding this:

I am currently offering the Lexus Platinum Program for 7 yrs / 100,000 miles
w/ $0 deductible for $1655.00 on the IS350, which is the longest plan
available in both years and mileage.

Most of the details on the Platinum plans can be found directly at the
Lexus website at the following link, including all the various terms and
options available, just let me know if you would like a quote on a different
plan.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warra...rotection.html
Old 11-19-07, 10:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
Keep in mind that our cars already have a 6/year 70k warranty on powertrain, so we'd mostly just be gaining an extension on that and a little more bumper to bumper...

Just got the following email surrounding this:

plan.

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warra...rotection.html

Is that email quote from Troy Dietrich?
Old 11-19-07, 10:52 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Is that email quote from Troy Dietrich?
Yes...... why?
Old 11-19-07, 10:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
Yes...... why?
$1655 seems high for him.

I'm going email to get a quote on my 250.
Old 11-19-07, 10:55 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$1655 seems high for him.

I'm going email to get a quote on my 250.
Cool! Keep us posted!
Old 11-19-07, 11:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ES3
Cool! Keep us posted!
I remember something like $1100 for the Platimum 7/100 on a 250AWD when my daughter emailed.My 250 was her car.
My '07 Camry XLE Platimum 7/100 was only $880.
A year later when I sold it(after $8K damage from hitting a deer)I got $720 back when I turned in the paperwork.
How long did it take for the reply to your email?
Old 11-19-07, 11:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I got the same quote (1655) frem Troy... which is 200 lower than another Lexus dealer online, and 800 lower than my local dealership.

I'm not surprised the 350 is more than the 250 though.
Old 11-19-07, 12:22 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in a unique situation. I purchased my IS350 as a CPO which is covered for 3yrs (from my date of purchase) or 100k miles (total). I will probably be selling this car to my daughter in about 2 yrs. The CPO warranty isn't transferable - but, the Lexus Extended Warranty is. So, in order to get my daughter any kind of coverage, assuming she buys it when the 4/50 coverage is over, we will have to purchase one of these extended plans - before the factory warranty expires. So, I could end up with triple coverage for a period of time: factory warranty, CPO, and extended. Of course, I would purchase the extended plan at the last possible time.

I agree that the biggest exposures are things like the trans, AC, sensors, alternator, injectors/coils, PS, window motors, electronics, etc. A major engine failure is unlikely in 100k with these cars. But, these other things can kill you financially. It seems to me that $1500 is cheap for this kind of peace of mind. I had a trans go out on my BMW 330cic and it was covered by CPO (would have cost me around $5k from the dealer, otherwise).
Old 11-19-07, 12:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

It seems the $1100 I was talking about was for a 7/75.
I just recieved this from Troy.

Sure, here is all the info and quotes:

w/ $0 deductible for $1415.00 and the 7 yr / 75,000 mile plan for $1130.00
on the IS250.

plan.
Old 11-19-07, 01:33 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by njmurvin
I am in a unique situation. I purchased my IS350 as a CPO which is covered for 3yrs (from my date of purchase) or 100k miles (total). I will probably be selling this car to my daughter in about 2 yrs. The CPO warranty isn't transferable - but, the Lexus Extended Warranty is. So, in order to get my daughter any kind of coverage, assuming she buys it when the 4/50 coverage is over, we will have to purchase one of these extended plans - before the factory warranty expires. So, I could end up with triple coverage for a period of time: factory warranty, CPO, and extended. Of course, I would purchase the extended plan at the last possible time.
Why not just keep the car under your name?

Regarding the warranty, even at 1600, that's a lot of money for a car that shouldn't really have problems for the first 6 years. At any rate, if I even considered it, I'd probably wait until 3.99 years of use or 48kmiles. Perhaps that warranty price may drop a bit by then? Wishful thinking I suppose.
Old 11-19-07, 01:37 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Nice, that is the lowest price I've ever seen here. I got just over 3 years left to decide on this.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty to 100K COverage?