IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus uses baby cow leather?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 02:32 AM
n8236
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus uses baby cow leather?!?!?!

Before my IS350, I had an Infiniti FX35 and the leather in that car is pretty nice. Smooth and supple for the most part. And before that I owned an Acura RSX and the leather in that car was pretty standard Honda. Like a cheap leather chair from Office Depot.

But w/ the IS350, z00000000mg The leather is just SO damn supple and soft and awesome! I swear it feels better than b00bies, OK, maybe not, but it feels pretty darn good! Usually I wouldn't rave over something like this, but my friends all keep complimenting about it and we made a joke that it was skinned from baby cows dipped and soaked in whole milk

But seriously, what did they do to it so that it feels so damn good!?!?!?

Another thing, has anyone had problems w/ the leather cracking and leathering early?? My RSX had this problem, but because I conditioned it w/ leather products it didn't look so bad.
Old 11-18-07, 03:41 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's cool. Leather is leather. Just more expensive.
Old 11-18-07, 04:14 AM
Absy
Driver School Candidate

I don't know car leather BUT i know couch leather. Generally the more expensive leather is slightly harder because its full and the softer is whats called a "split" pretty much means they get a a bit of leather and split it (thickness wise) which means cheaper production costs and sells more as its softer. Full leather is tough but will wear in and be very very comfortable. The splits are fine but supposedly wear out easier although i have never seen it.

Best car seats i have ever sat in was my old mans car back in like 1995. It was a late 80 or most likely early 90's 7 series bmw. This thing has buffalo skin leather seats. This car was PIMP only car i have been in (except for a Maybach in a show room haha) that had electric adjustable rear seats. Next most comfortable is my 01 GS300 in my opinion.
Old 11-18-07, 09:52 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

it makes me drive a little more contently knowing that a calf was slaughtered for my comfort

^ just kidding, but yeah, the seats are very comfortable, i love the leather =)
Old 11-18-07, 10:34 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Absy
I don't know car leather BUT i know couch leather. Generally the more expensive leather is slightly harder because its full and the softer is whats called a "split" pretty much means they get a a bit of leather and split it (thickness wise) which means cheaper production costs and sells more as its softer. Full leather is tough but will wear in and be very very comfortable. The splits are fine but supposedly wear out easier although i have never seen it.

Best car seats i have ever sat in was my old mans car back in like 1995. It was a late 80 or most likely early 90's 7 series bmw. This thing has buffalo skin leather seats. This car was PIMP only car i have been in (except for a Maybach in a show room haha) that had electric adjustable rear seats. Next most comfortable is my 01 GS300 in my opinion.
Soft leather always cost more than hard leather....from leather jackets to couches....
Old 11-18-07, 10:35 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Btw does anyone else have smooth leather in the front seats, but rough leather in the rear sides and arm rest area?
Old 11-18-07, 11:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most leather products are hybrid...a mix of leather and other materials. I know it can't be pure leather. Baseball gloves are pure cowhide. The smell is unmistakable. You know it right away and it stays in your nose and memory even after you leave it. No car has leather like that in it these days. My old Infiniti J30 had leather like that. The smell was pure sex, intoxicating. Problem is pure leather stretches too much and is not practical for cars. It's skin. Dead skin that will stretch. That's why there is a blended hybrid of materials.
Old 11-18-07, 11:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I think most leather products are hybrid...a mix of leather and other materials. I know it can't be pure leather. Baseball gloves are pure cowhide. The smell is unmistakable. You know it right away and it stays in your nose and memory even after you leave it. No car has leather like that in it these days. My old Infiniti J30 had leather like that. The smell was pure sex, intoxicating. Problem is pure leather stretches too much and is not practical for cars. It's skin. Dead skin that will stretch. That's why there is a blended hybrid of materials.

How can you blend leather?
Most seat leather has a clear vinyl coating over the leather as a finish.
Old 11-18-07, 11:24 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
How can you blend leather?
Most seat leather has a clear vinyl coating over the leather as a finish.
I dunno, I'm not an upholsterer. It sounds weird to me, too. I read about it somewhere but don't remember the details.
All I know is none of the cars I see today have leather that smells like the baseball glove...like my old J30.
Old 11-18-07, 01:23 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
No, they're leather, but they are dyed and essentially clearcoated for protection. Using leather care products on all but analine (uncoated) leathers is pretty much a waste of time...you could use any good vinyl cleaner and protectant on any of Lexus' leather with similar results. That said, I use Zaino's leather protectant because I like the smell.

Old 11-18-07, 01:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Using leather care products on all but analine (uncoated) leathers is pretty much a waste of time...you could use any good vinyl cleaner and protectant on any of Lexus' leather with similar results. That said, I use Zaino's leather protectant because I like the smell.

That's why I use Zaino conditioner.
Old 11-18-07, 02:04 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

hmmm. makes me want to go rub and condition my seats.

i've found that i produce a wrinkle across the front end of the lap part of the seat when i get out of the car. so what i do now is i massage out the wrinkle with my wallet. i feel if i let it sit, it might cool & dry like that. i have 12K miles. my passnger seat has a normal wrinkle where the lap portion was sewn to fast.
Old 11-18-07, 05:05 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's why I use Zaino conditioner.
I've been looking for a good conditioner to keep the seats looking nice. I'll have to give this a shot.

Do any brick and mortars sell Zaino? I've never seen it on shelves, just online.
Old 11-18-07, 07:25 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by inxexisten
Btw does anyone else have smooth leather in the front seats, but rough leather in the rear sides and arm rest area?
I don't think the rear doors have leather.....just the front doors. It not only feels different but looks different in direct sunlight.
Old 11-18-07, 07:43 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by n8236
\ I swear it feels better than b00bies, OK, maybe not, but it feels pretty darn good! \
LMFAO!! At least you came to your senses in the next sentence!

Quick Reply: Lexus uses baby cow leather?!?!?!