IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

13.14@105.75 today another 1/10th closer that that magic 12 (now12.844@109.20mph)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07 | 10:38 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So the reason you're keeping the wheels is just to keep that OEM look, right? Because the car is already not exactly in OEM form with the mods you've done, and the pieces you removed from the interior, heh.

Also, I have a fairly random question. I'm just curious, about how much weight do you think removing the floor mats saved you?
Old 11-20-07 | 10:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
So the reason you're keeping the wheels is just to keep that OEM look, right? Because the car is already not exactly in OEM form with the mods you've done, and the pieces you removed from the interior, heh.

Also, I have a fairly random question. I'm just curious, about how much weight do you think removing the floor mats saved you?
You just don't understand "the sickness".
Old 11-20-07 | 11:07 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

RocketGuy3, Greg is actually right. Until you are actually out there trying to best your previous time, you won't understand. When you realize you have caught this "sickness" everything matters down to the thousandth of a second along with every single extra pound. This is why Gernby makes a point of taking a big deuce right before his runs.

I am very open and honest about everything that I have done with the car and believe it is still in relatively OEM form. A nondescript IS350 is what I like. I haven't reached the point of removing back seats, interior panels, stereo components, replacing front seats with competition seats, 2 piece rotors, aftermarket wheels, etc. I would be happy driving family or clients around in the car as is.

Last edited by caymandive; 11-20-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-20-07 | 11:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
This is why Gernby makes a point of taking a big deuce right before his runs.
LOL ... I prefer to call it "code 200".
Old 11-20-07 | 11:22 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

"thats the way to do it... bring your lexus to the track" hah
Old 11-20-07 | 12:37 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
RocketGuy3, Greg is actually right. Until you are actually out there trying to best your previous time, you won't understand. When you realize you have caught this "sickness" everything matters down to the thousandth of a second along with every single extra pound. This is why Gernby makes a point of taking a big deuce right before his runs.

I am very open and honest about everything that I have done with the car and believe it is still in relatively OEM form. A nondescript IS350 is what I like. I haven't reached the point of removing back seats, interior panels, stereo components, replacing front seats with competition seats, 2 piece rotors, aftermarket wheels, etc. I would be happy driving family or clients around in the car as is.
I agree with you guys. As a triathlete I know most of my friends find it a good deal if they can save a GRAM of weight for $1 (basically $28 an ounce) on their bicycle. Crazy bunch aren't we!

Aloha,
Weight Junkie Larry
Old 11-20-07 | 02:32 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

i wish there were some 2 piece rotors available for this car without going to a BBK.

if i were in your shoes... my next step would be some light weight 18's

either way, good job on almost getting to the 12's... you're almost there!
Old 11-20-07 | 03:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

You could always just remove your front rotors entirely, and rely on your back brakes.

Seriously though, you could temporarily replace your front rotors with spacers, and put blocks in your front calipers to hold everything in place. Of course, that would be the extreme drag-only setup...
Old 11-20-07 | 03:12 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

While on the topic of "sorry cheatin' bastard" mods ... I'm curious about the rules in bracket racing for computer controls. Since we have drive by wire, it would be very easy to develop a throttle controller that would deliver vertually identical runs every time. All the driver would have to do is perfect his brake release reaction times, and the computer could do the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if the times could be repeatable within .01 seconds (not counting R/T).
Old 11-20-07 | 03:27 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

.01 no way.. ignore RT you still have wind, weird ambient temp changes even 1 degree, more VHT on one lane than the other, tail winds, cross winds, you don't drive as straight one time.. too many variables to be within .01 maybe .10, but even then i would think wind would change that. I guess if your computer controller could take all those things into affect, you might be close but still not perfect.
Old 11-21-07 | 06:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
.01 no way.. ignore RT you still have wind, weird ambient temp changes even 1 degree, more VHT on one lane than the other, tail winds, cross winds, you don't drive as straight one time.. too many variables to be within .01 maybe .10, but even then i would think wind would change that. I guess if your computer controller could take all those things into affect, you might be close but still not perfect.
As long as the driver goes moderately straight, and doesn't set the accelleration "profile" so agressive that the car looses traction or doesn't have enough power to achieve the target numbers, then everything else could be very closely controlled. I think as long as the driver was content with a 13.6 sec run, and the car was capable of a 13.2, then a computer could very easily repeat runs within .01 seconds. Reaction time would be the only real variable.
Old 11-21-07 | 09:41 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Heh, I wasn't being sarcastic... I was genuinely curious about the floor mats. I know it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out myself, but I might as well ask some people who have already taken them out.

My point about the wheels, though, was that that seems like a less extreme (and more effective) way to lose weight than removing certain parts of the car from the interior that you will actually need day to day. But if you're keeping the wheels strictly to keep the OEM look, then I guess I can't really argue.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-21-07 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-21-07 | 10:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Removing the floor mats could save 10 lbs or more, and it's free. Why not do it?

Does anyone know if Texas Motorplex has scales?
Old 11-21-07 | 10:29 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

What about folding in the mirrors?
Old 11-21-07 | 04:38 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Try sucking on a helium balloon before each run.
Still waiting for the weather to drop into the freezing 60's around here to make some winter 1/4 runs.

Quick Reply: 13.14@105.75 today another 1/10th closer that that magic 12 (now12.844@109.20mph)