IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Legal Tints: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 07:11 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Tints: Worth it?

well, i really want to tint my windows, although i know 35% is the legal limit for how dark they can be. A couple of my friends have them done on their cars, and they all got illegal ones, and the cops in my town seem to love pulling them over for it. I really dont want to give a cop any reason to pull me over and talk to me, because since im a teenager in a nice car he'll probably want to harrass me and search it and everything (not that he'll find anything). But i dont want to spend the money and put in the effort for a hardly noticeable or effective tint. My cars blue onyx pearl with black interior, so i imagine that would add to the darkness, but does anyone have good pics of some tints that are 35?

and also, i've heard that the back windows (back seats and back windshield) can be as dark as i want.. is this true? because in that case i'm looking to do like a 20% back 35% front.. which i imagine would look good..
any input? thanks
Old 11-18-07, 08:51 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen cars with ceramic 50% tint, and it's very subtle. Think of a white girl getting a tan. She's still clearly white, but looks hotter. IMO, you'd never get pulled over for getting 50% tint.
Old 11-18-07, 09:09 PM
fotaman
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure of the laws in your state, but in mine its 45% front and no limit for the rear. For reference, here's a picture of my car: 50% front and 15% back.

Legal Tints: Worth it?-img_tint1.jpg
Old 11-18-07, 09:15 PM
shrka
Pole Position

If you have any tint on the passenger and driver side door, it is considered illegal. But everytime I pull up next to or near a cop, I lower the window.
At the end of the day, it's your choice...but this is what I do.
Old 11-18-07, 09:51 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5% in the rear, 50% in the front. If 35% were legal here I would have def done that in the front, but nothing it legal in the front here basically. And yea in most places you can tint your back windows as dark as you want.
Old 11-19-07, 03:09 AM
n8236
Pole Position

I would use 35% fronts & 20% for the rest. The difference between the two shades isn't too bad, so you still look cool w/o being pulled over for illegal tint.
Old 11-19-07, 04:29 AM
VF84
Pole Position

seems as though the legal limit in the state of NY is 70 front side and 70 rear side and any in back.. u should double check this.

any discrepancy in color there is easy target for such law imo..

i'd say go visit a shop with various tint shades and c if you can find something like a 50 or 65 that will visually pass as 70 at first glance, and get something dark in for the rear window to help offset the sides.
Old 11-19-07, 05:47 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

where'd u guys get 70? i talked to local officers that came by our school the other day and they just said 35.. i'll talk to officer secret (coolest guy lol, he's basically the school policeman, he's there all day and he just chills with us) and ask him

does anyone know what the factory tints are? if there are any?
Old 11-19-07, 05:56 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15% all around for me, the deal with cops here in FL is as long as they can see whos in the front, thats why my NAV is for!
Old 11-19-07, 05:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think legal tints are worth it.If you can't go darker,why bother?
Old 11-19-07, 06:14 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what I found with a quick Google search. TintCenter.com. Can't verify its current accuracy, but if you search for NY Motor Vehicle laws you'll find it online somewhere. I have 35% tint on my TP with black interior, and it's dark enough for me. Personally, I don't like different tints on front/rear windows, I like the continuous look of one value. To me it is too much hassle to put illegal tints on; who wants to have to roll down their windows everytime you see the law? Not me. Plus the general trend is away from these super dark tints towards more moderate tints.

-------------------------------

New York Window Tint Law
New York Tint Law Enacted: 1991
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-19-07 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-19-07, 10:35 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

15% all around for me, the deal with cops here in FL is as long as they can see whos in the front, thats why my NAV is for!
how's your nav help the cops see you?
Old 11-19-07, 11:17 AM
MLEE4984
Lead Lap

Where in NY are you located? What color is your interior? I run 5% all round in NYC with Sterling Interior. I should have done 35% all round instead. I don't like the limo look any more.

Legal issues, I think NY only allows 70% tints in the front, but it is all dependent on the office that pulls you over. Just my $.02.

-Mike
Old 11-19-07, 11:21 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
seems as though the legal limit in the state of NY is 70 front side and 70 rear side and any in back.. u should double check this.
he's right... so is PA it's 70

therefore, all your friends with 35.... illegal... whether the cops want to pull them over that's up to them.... that's like saying the speed limit is 65 and you go 70.... that's clearly up to them
Old 11-19-07, 11:22 AM
VF84
Pole Position

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv80w.pdf

clearly states 70 in both front and rear side windows. <70 for back window...

Quick Reply: Legal Tints: Worth it?