IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer screwed up paint, can they fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 10:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dealer screwed up paint, can they fix it?

Brought the 6-week old IS350 in today to have the dealer replace the dead pedal as it was loose and had a broken tab on it. They washed it despite my asking them not to.

Sure enough, I go out to get in and there's two small but deep scratches in the door near the handle. Dunno if it happened while in the shop, during wash, or what.

I point it out and tell them to fix it. Too deep to buff it out they say since you can feel the scratches. They applied touch up paint which looked surprisingly good color-match wise, but you can still see the scratches, they're just the right color now, so I told them not good
enough.

I'm bringing it back next Monday for their body shop to fix it, they said they would try wet sanding and then repaint the door if that didn't fix it.

Is anything they do going to just make it look like crap with a 6-week old car, or will they be able to get it right?

I'm at work so can't take/post any pics at the moment, but can later if it'd help.
Old 11-19-07, 10:37 AM
05LSV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No advice to offer, but keep updating if you get info from the dealer. I'd like to know how well the body shop takes care of the problem.
Old 11-19-07, 12:13 PM
kneedragr
Driver School Candidate

Be VERY careful that you do not end up making the problem worst. In other words, even if the dealer agrees to repaint for free, you may be in a worst situation. I bought a brand new 350z (one of the first ones in my state) in late 2002. I brought it in for a TSB and the dealer managed to scratch my front bumper. I made them fix it. You know what they did? Sanded it and sprayed it without masking anything. I also had paint all over the inside of my car (slight mists)

Find a reputable body shop, get a written quote and request that Lexus pay for it.
Old 11-19-07, 12:39 PM
tomede
Driver School Candidate

I had mine in for a repair of the front right door last week as someone made a deep scratch when opening thier door into mine. I had my worst thoughts about letting someone fix the paint.
But now i can only say it was worth all the money, you can't tell if there was anything on the door, maybe i was lucky to find the right guys!
It's all up to the guys that does the work i guess.
Old 11-19-07, 12:55 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Dealer CANNOT FIX PAINT at dealership's facility, but they prolly will take care of it at their contracted bodyshop.

No joking? Touch-up paint only? LOL! That is not acceptable.
It seems they will take care of it since they alread admit their wrong doing by fixing up with the touch-up paint, and now your job is to push harder to make them send to bodyshop for actual repaint.

If they send it to a bodyshop, you car will gain a few miles and you will miss you car at least for a week.

4 more posts to my 1k milestone at ClubLex..
Old 11-19-07, 01:54 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fix these kind of scratches for dealers all the time. All i do is....
1.Rub scratch with Alchohol swab
2.Apply touch up paint right above the scratch, little amount
3. With a squeege or credit card go diagonally to the scratch to fill in the scratch rub off any excess.
4. Do this process til' the scratch is filled in to the surface of the rest of car.
at this point the scratch looks much better because it takes away the sharp edge of scratch.
5. Now with a nice orbital buffer, i use the Griots orbital with the orange foam pad apply a machine polish i'd use Machine polish 1, on a high speed, this will heat up the paint to blend the paint from the untarnished car to the filled in scratch. then use a machine polish 3, to smoothe the surface slightly more.
6. Apply a good wax with the buffer, or use a sealant.

Good luck! this process is much safer than having the paint resprayed. Black sapphire is a 3 stage paint which adds to difficult blending.
Old 11-19-07, 02:14 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my two cents. Find a body shop that'll do touch up and wetsand the touch up. I had the exact same thing happen to me and they ended up repainting the entire door. Very bad mistake. Had to take it back three times to be wetsanded again. Still the orange peel doesn't match the rest of the car (nor can it be expected to). I would strongly suggest trying to let a professional touch up person take a stab at it. What do you have to lose if you end up repainting anyway. Trust me. I look at my door on the way out to my car in the work parking lot every day and my repainted door pisses me off. Save yourself some of my frustration.