IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Suspension AND Exhaust mods!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 10:44 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Suspension AND Exhaust mods!

Where oh where to put this thread, eh moderators? Just kidding... sort of. I really have no idea.

Anyway, this past weekend I traded my Tanabe exhaust for a Greddy SP2 exhaust and put in the Tom's 6 link rear and front braces. I wanted to wait until I drove the car a little bit until I told you guys what I thought of them. That time is now!

Greddy SP2
To be honest, this exhaust was a little disappointing. I had Tanabe, and I wanted something louder. I wanted something with more character, something more than just a bass note. From what I can tell, the Greddy exhaust is actually QUIETER than the Tanabe, and has even LESS of a tone. Maybe I am just used to the Tanabe, but the Greddy sounds like Tanabe at 7/10 volume. For some, this is exactly what the doctor ordered. And, to be honest, I like it on the freeway, as it drones a lot less at 2750 rpm than the Tanabe ever did. It just didn't really live up to my expectations I had to be a mean-sounding exhaust. Also, the fitment is a bit off, which I wasn't really expecting from Greddy. That said, everyone I've revved the Greddy for thinks the Greddy sounds awesome. Maybe I just need someone else to rev the engine for me while I stand behind. Power wise, who knows, really?

It looks great though. In fact I prefer the look of the Greddy to the Tanabe. I am eating my words right now as I have ALWAYS hated the looks of the Greddy on pictures, but in real life, it fills out the holes much, much nicer. That said, I do have the Tom's kit, so it masks the size of the Greddy's tips a bit. But, to those who thought the Tanabe + Tom's combination was perfect (and I know that is almost every one of you), Take a gander:

The Greddy turned out to be the exact opposite of what I expected it to be. I thought it would sound amazing but look like stank. Instead, it sounds... meh, but looks good. Long story short, if you're looking for an exhaust that gives your car a bit more oomph in the sound dpt without being too intrusive, Greddy is your exhaust.

Tom's 6link/Front braces
There's a lot of debate about whether or not this mod makes the car faster around a track, or does the car any real good. I don't track the car ever, so quite frankly, I don't really care. All I know is that, they make the IS350 A LOT MORE FUN to drive in normal, day to day, city roads. You don't realize how loose the IS350 really is until you put these bars on. Before, to me, it felt like the rear just felt a bit disconnected, and somehow seemed to roll on its own a lot more than the front did. This was disorienting and especially a killjoy on quick canyon passes. No more; the 6link makes the rear RIGHT THERE and feel much more one with the car. You turn the wheel, you feel the back turn with the car right away. It is a sensation the IS350 without the bars NEVER HAD. The car as a result feels a lot less floaty through turns, and more direct, and NIMBLE. That the word... it feels a lot more chuckable through the turns, a lot more lively, because the rear is one with the car, and not lagging behind like a loose caboose. Again, I have no idea if this makes the car faster on the track; immediately I've noticed the rear likes to come out a LOT more now = less understeer, but all I can say is that for what I use the car for, day to day city driving, it makes those occasional quick corners MUCH more fun.

The Front braces don't do nearly as much except quicken the steering response. These are not like the Tanabe front braces; they are two, thick braces that go across the front. And you can notice the difference. As I got them installed at the same time, maybe some of the liveliness can be attributed to the quicker and more eager steering.

The best thing about these parts is that the ride quality seems to be minimally if at all affected. With my Eibach springs, the ride is still smooth, though a bit more bumpy over the 10 freeway's expansion joints. That said, it's nothing jarring and nothing worth noticing unless you're really paying attention to bad ride quality. For what it's worth, I took my parents for a drive before and after and they didn't notice anything, so ultimate ride test: CHECK.

I'll be happy to answer any questions :]

Last edited by knihc2008; 11-19-07 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 10:51 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woooo! I still am loving the way the Greddy compliments the Tom's rear, plus it's something different that not many are running. I say....in small words, it's a keeper! Maybe you should do what Cayman with his Tanabe setup and remove your secondary cats? That may give it a more aggressive sound, however I'm an outsider...havn't heard either in person lol. Good job Justin, cars looking real fly!
Old 11-19-07, 10:53 PM
el3ctone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love your car justin.
shhh. dont tell pocky
Old 11-19-07, 10:56 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Nice but I my fav. mod that you have is the TOMS rear bumper.
Old 11-19-07, 11:02 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

wow i think after rims u'll have nicest IS (besides mine lol)
Old 11-19-07, 11:06 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

what a Tom's wh0re, lol
Old 11-20-07, 05:28 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the comments guys. And yes, I am a Tom's wh0re haha... wait til I get my TOM'S EMBLEM!!!
Old 11-20-07, 05:33 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that TOM's rear bumper is sick.... by far the best bumper.
Old 11-20-07, 05:40 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Wow it fits perfect
Old 11-20-07, 05:47 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I love the Greddy! Nice setup
Old 11-20-07, 05:58 PM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

i didnt see your exhaust today when u parked right behind me.. lol silly me

and i left my window partly open! haha
Old 11-20-07, 06:09 PM
andone
Lead Lap

Good write up on the Tom's 6Link and the Exhaust looks great.
Old 11-20-07, 07:24 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
i didnt see your exhaust today when u parked right behind me.. lol silly me

and i left my window partly open! haha
LOL I should have parked butt-in first like you did, then you woulda seen it ;]
Old 11-20-07, 07:37 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not an expert or anything when it comes to suspension, sway bar or brace kits. But i would really like to hear what some of you think how the F-Sport line brace kit would perform with the F-Sport Suspension kit. would one really Sacrifice the ride of the car or would it still maintian the ride quaility similar to the Tom's 6link kit?

thanks,
Old 11-20-07, 08:33 PM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

SP2 + Tom's rear = Perfection It looks really good!!!

Quick Reply: New Suspension AND Exhaust mods!