IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering Wheel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 12:57 AM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the wheel itself is a little loose? Maybe the spindle nut that holds the wheel on wasn't torqed down properly?

I recall someone I don't remember if it was on this board or another one complaining that when they put their Lexus into reverse that they would hear this click/clunk noise coming from the rear wheels. If I'm remembering correctly the problem was the spindle nut was quarter or half a turn loose, and it came misadjusted from the factory that way.

Just a guess though.
Old 11-30-07, 01:24 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Okay, this video I just took might help out a little. Bear in mind it's not juist the noise, but also a bumpy feeling when it happens as you're twisting the wheel.

YouTube Link
Old 11-30-07, 08:35 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

Sorry, don't see anything significant on the video. Just a couple of thoughts, though:

1. You shouldn't be turning the steering wheel like this when stationary - it puts a lot of stress on the steering components (they will wear prematurely).

2. If all the cars did it then it does sound like a characteristic of the car. However, if this was the case, it should have done this since new. You sure it just started, or is this the first you noticed it?

3. A damaged/defective steering joint might cause this, but it should not do it on 4/4 cars at the dealership.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-07, 08:56 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koofteh
You guys just don't listen... this is not a small problem that I can just live with or whatever. I'm telling you, go put a pair of boots under your tire and you'll see what I mean. I'm not talking about the small vibration or sound problems others have had with their steering wheel.

Oh well, maybe I'll take a vid of it tomorrow.
If it's such a big problem take it to the damn dealer. lol
Old 11-30-07, 11:09 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

I was going to, especially now that you guys just refuse to listen. I'm turning the wheel because I wanted to show you guys the effects... you think I sit there like a dumbass turning the wheel continuously to **** myself off about imperfections?

There was nothing wrong with my steering wheel until a few days ago, and there's no way this is normal.
Old 11-30-07, 04:13 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Okay, this video I just took might help out a little. Bear in mind it's not juist the noise, but also a bumpy feeling when it happens as you're twisting the wheel.

YouTube Link
Yea you definitely have a problem there , it actually sounds like you rack is loose . Take to dealer now.
Old 11-30-07, 04:35 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a clunk out of the steering also at very very slow speeds in my 250. it doesn't happen often, but often enough to make me go, "Hmm, i wonder what that is?!" lol. Sound just like your clunking.

Mine isn't that bad yet, but if it gets worse, i'm goign to take it in. I need to make sure i can replicate it to the dealer though when i do...
Old 12-01-07, 12:31 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

it sounds like the steering intermediate shaft is making the noise... i would go to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 12-01-07, 12:43 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is not normal...so much for reliability rofl..
Old 12-01-07, 08:26 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

No its not normal. Take it to the dealer. I don't know how you equate that noise with "A boot under the wheel". More like a thud when I turn when stationary.

Originally Posted by i3urton
wow that is not normal...so much for reliability rofl..
How do you know what this guy drove over? Could be 4x4ing with his IS!!!
Old 12-02-07, 01:36 AM
Koofteh
Pole Position

I took it to the dealer and they were of no help.

They asked me if I got into an accident and I said yeah, I got hit about 2 months ago. All the guy at Lexus said was "I'd take it back to the body shop and have them undo everything and tighten them back up if I were you."

So I guess that's what I have to do now, but I don't think the body shop will help me since it's been a while.
Old 12-02-07, 05:25 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

They asked me if I got into an accident and I said yeah, I got hit about 2 months ago. All the guy at Lexus said was "I'd take it back to the body shop and have them undo everything and tighten them back up if I were you."

So I guess that's what I have to do now, but I don't think the body shop will help me since it's been a while.
Who your insurance company, most offer lifetime repair work from damage from an accident.
Old 12-02-07, 07:14 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Try another dealership. If they don't fix it under warranty, get a quote and fight with the insurance company.
Old 01-13-08, 12:23 PM
TAP4636
Rookie

I don't get this pop noise doing what you just did, but I get this pop noise when I turn the wheel all the way in either direction, in reverse backing out of a driveway. I need to take mine in.
Old 01-13-08, 04:23 PM
Katsumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like to note that you shouldn't be cranking the wheel while completely stopped in the first place. Not only is it bad for your tires, it's incredibly hard on your steering... Just putting that out there.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Problem