IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Painted Engine Cover Thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 04:45 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the people on the Scion Xb Forums are using Krylon... also the paint doesn't need to be high temp since the engine covers don't get over 200 degrees.

The prep is the most important part and also the paint environment. You don't want to be in a dirty place where dust/dirt will blow onto your work.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f28/eng...paint-630.html
Old 06-25-11, 01:30 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some DIY I did.

AGAIN to each their own Not all of you guys might like what I did. I like it
It took me about a day and a half making sure after each multiple coatings, it dried and etc.

Used, primer, silver, gloss black, and clear coat respectively on the engine cover.
Used gloss black, and clear coat respectively on outward engine panels.

Used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel which can withstand 500 degrees.

Last edited by DaKi3241; 06-25-11 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 01:31 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Last edited by DaKi3241; 06-25-11 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 01:43 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Has anyone here with the engine bay covers painted....had it on for more than a year? After about a year my paint is starting to peel off of the engine bays . I was told all the right kind of paint and proper methods were used.

Also Even after the paint job I could still see texture. I might take this upon my self to do it right. What did people use to smooth out the surface of the textured engine bay covers? I dont think a heavy sandpaper will do it?
Old 06-25-11, 02:00 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patrick323
Has anyone here with the engine bay covers painted....had it on for more than a year? After about a year my paint is starting to peel off of the engine bays . I was told all the right kind of paint and proper methods were used.

Also Even after the paint job I could still see texture. I might take this upon my self to do it right. What did people use to smooth out the surface of the textured engine bay covers? I dont think a heavy sandpaper will do it?
hmm if there is texture, and you paint over it... you will most likely be stuck with that texture unless you make it smooth. SO it would be best to sand the whole area until you can get to a crack or the tip so that you can have a smooth surface. It would be best to use light grade of sand paper where its very fine on the coarseness to lightly sand the engine cover.

as for peeling, you have to make sure that the paint you add to the engine cover, all the ends and tips are sprayed a lot. Make sure to have the folding areas painted as well. (for example, turn ur engine cover upside down and spray some on the tips and ends of the covers to have a "seal".

IF some of this info is not relevant yet, check if the cover has been primered first then paint over it. add clear coat for more protection. You want to have multiple multiple coatings of color and clear coat. BUT make sure to have a lot of time between each coatings to let it dry. A lot of time as in a good 20 minutes to be safe.

Lastly, make sure all your paint products can withstand heat. Heat may be a factor as well. Why? Maybe because after its been heated after a drive, as you turn off your car on a cold day, oxidation and some "water vapors" and such may occur. Just a guess. But I would assume that might happen?

Hope this helps and thats the only possibilities I can think of why it would peel.
Old 06-25-11, 02:28 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaKi3241
hmm if there is texture, and you paint over it... you will most likely be stuck with that texture unless you make it smooth. SO it would be best to sand the whole area until you can get to a crack or the tip so that you can have a smooth surface....

Sorry...just clarifying . When you say "till you get to a crack or the tip" you mean ...an edge right? haha

Secondly, we are talking same thing right...the engine BAY covers...not the center engine cover (which is fairly smooth to begin with and I have no peeling issues with). It is the far more coarse side covers and radiator cover I am referring to .. in case we are not on the same page. It seems it might be one heck of a lot of sanding with fine paper to get rid of the hard thick course material on these side/front covers.

If i can get a second round to stay....I want to hire a talented air-brush artist to do something subtle. They are Tungsten now, to match car (the carbon hood makes it so it's not tungsten overload). I was thinking very subtle black/grey smoke ....as if my car is actually fast haha.
Old 06-25-11, 04:36 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patrick323
Sorry...just clarifying . When you say "till you get to a crack or the tip" you mean ...an edge right? haha

Secondly, we are talking same thing right...the engine BAY covers...not the center engine cover (which is fairly smooth to begin with and I have no peeling issues with). It is the far more coarse side covers and radiator cover I am referring to .. in case we are not on the same page. It seems it might be one heck of a lot of sanding with fine paper to get rid of the hard thick course material on these side/front covers.

If i can get a second round to stay....I want to hire a talented air-brush artist to do something subtle. They are Tungsten now, to match car (the carbon hood makes it so it's not tungsten overload). I was thinking very subtle black/grey smoke ....as if my car is actually fast haha.
OH I see. Sorry misunderstood it. And yes the edges. As for the outer pieces... yeah it would take a lot of work to sand with the very fine papers. I would be a bit puzzled also how to touch that up...
Old 10-24-11, 10:13 PM
Niche2425
Rookie

That's a bad boy or in this case wifey looking cover!
Old 10-24-11, 10:28 PM
Niche2425
Rookie

Nice clean work

Last edited by Rash; 11-15-11 at 09:32 PM. Reason: IMG tags removed
Old 10-24-11, 10:35 PM
Niche2425
Rookie

This is what I recently did to my engine covers. Any suggestions on a clear coat? I used krylon glossblack for plastics on the black ones & sanded, primed and then used a non-plastic spray can bronze on the actual engine cover. I gotta do the engine bronze one again cause I wanna make it better.

Old 10-24-11, 11:16 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Thinking of doing the same scheme as the sgm&red spider cover but the colors flipped.
Old 10-24-11, 11:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I had no idea about this thread. My contribution

Obsidian black and IS-F blue!

Photo by member Enrikito:

Last edited by Hoovey689; 10-25-11 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 11:24 PM
Gladius
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

^^tight!!^^
Old 10-24-11, 11:47 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

here u go
Old 10-25-11, 12:39 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Very clean!

Quick Reply: Painted Engine Cover Thread (merged threads)