IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm selling my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07 | 06:16 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

There's a lot of stuff going on in your head, and imo you are using the speed issue of the IS as an excuse to get rid of it. Jumping from an IS to the MB, and then throwing out that maybe you'll get a Sequoia shows you really don't know what the real issue is. It's your money and your car, so just make the decision that you think makes sense and move on. But if it was me I'd really be wondering what the real issue is with the IS that would want me to get rid of it. You are 34, haven't had any speeding issues with the IS, yet you don't like it because your parents think you should get a slower car. Doesn't make sense to me.....
Old 12-01-07 | 07:19 PM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
If I had the S500, I'd still probably speed around - but I just can't speed around as fast. And, if I ever get involved in an accident that's not my fault, it's safer to be in a heavier car. Another consideration is the 2008 Sequoia. I dont' want to dish out 70+K for the LX570. Of course I'd get the 5.7 with the TRD supercharger (500 HP!!!) installed at the dealership so I can keep the warrantee.
I'm not sure about the performance figures of that Benz, but if it's anything like my 7-series you might want to reconsider it's abilities to slow you down, haha. I can hit 60 in roughly 6 seconds and have often found myself "cruising" at 90 and 100mph without realizing it. Like I said, I had the same thoughts as you when I got the 7, but it takes some effort to stay off the gas pedal.
Old 12-02-07 | 12:48 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

You're 34 and your parents are concerned about your safety with you driving an IS???
Old 12-02-07 | 12:53 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

^^ seriously so that would make your parents in their 60's late 50's? I assume your not driving fast with them in the car?
Old 12-02-07 | 01:22 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I don't give a flying F what state, country or galaxy you are in.......the S500 WILL turn more heads than any IS without an F in its name, and even then, only people who know what they are looking at will care.
I'll have to disagree on that one... I own an IS350 and an S55, and when my friends who don't know cars see both of them, most actually prefer the IS styling over the S... Now the ones that DO know cars, the S55 gets them, but then again, that's an AMG model, had it been a regualar S500 the story I'm sure would be different.

Last edited by Ramon; 12-02-07 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-02-07 | 01:26 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

haha wow you are 34 and your parents have issues with you and driving?....
0.o haha i can imagine a teenage but an adult making his own $... you should do whatever you want to do...
Old 12-02-07 | 01:28 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Ya If you really want to catch people's attention spend more and get a supercar... you will turn anyone's heads... even the people who know jack about cars....
Old 12-02-07 | 01:31 PM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by inxexisten
haha wow you are 34 and your parents have issues with you and driving?....
0.o haha i can imagine a teenage but an adult making his own $... you should do whatever you want to do...
Hah, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to go there. I'm 22 and drive what I want, how I want. My parents used to get on me for some of the stories they heard, but they quit worrying about me after I took my dad out for a couple laps in the Z.
Old 12-02-07 | 01:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

Here's an idea... Keep the IS and drive in snow mode all the time
Old 12-02-07 | 01:34 PM
LexFather

You do realize that S500 will have you posting here with threads like "I should have kept my IS 350".
I mean, its a fantastic car but early models had awful quality.
Old 12-02-07 | 01:49 PM
movin_up
Driver

Here's another thought, the only vehicle I've ever owned that I didn't have to constantly suppress my urges to drive fast was an '81 F150. Only problem with that was me taking it off-road everytime I saw what looked to be a fun place to go wheeling. That may be an option for you though, haha.
Old 12-02-07 | 01:55 PM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by spin
your pocketing $10k, but since it has 51,000 miles its out of warranty so any issue on it your going to blow those $10k in repairs. A benz, specially an S-Class is not one i would own without warranty. specially an 8 year old one.
Exactly why I'm selling the BMW, warranty's just about up on it. Haven't really had any issues out of it, but the iDrive is notorious for going out and that is not cheap. Definitely look into potential issues with the Benz. I know it's a different story being that it's your parents car and you trust it a little more, but it's still good to know about the problems that might come your way.
Old 12-05-07 | 07:39 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Lol... a lot of odd responses... It's not like I really care about what my parents or my wife thinks of my driving. The fact is that I SUPPORT my parents' retirement (or rather, I owe them a lot of money) and my wife so if I get hurt, my whole family is up the creek. Now do you see why I have people giving their 2cents on how I should drive? In addition, there are a lot of fatal/dangerous accidents near where I live - speed limit 55 streets with a lot of on/off and cross sections and 2 lane curvy country dark roads with only 2 yellow lines separating the lanes.

BUT, took the S500 in to Knauz (dealership) and they said the CEL was a sensor and was 890 and the navi didn't work and it would cost 3500 to fix! So, over 4K for repair. I asked my pops what happened to navi - he said, after they changed the battery, it never worked - nor could I ever use it well anyways. LOL So, I told him - forget it. I told him to drive it to the ground and then just donate it later. I'm keeping the IS for now. Looks like I'm going to have to go for 12 seconds before I get rid of it. The streets are so salty now and the snow tires are so slippery (only 3/32 tread at the center) that I can't drive fast anymore.
Old 12-05-07 | 08:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I'm keeping the IS for now. Looks like I'm going to have to go for 12 seconds before I get rid of it. The streets are so salty now and the snow tires are so slippery (only 3/32 tread at the center) that I can't drive fast anymore.
YIPPEEE! Now please just wait for the warmer weather to get into the 12's!
Old 12-05-07 | 08:48 PM
kutsujuh
Driver School Candidate

dont take this the wrong way but saying your floor it doesnt help you sell the car as much hahah but too bad your leaving it! gl on finding a bigger and safer car!

Quick Reply: I'm selling my IS350