IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Soft Paint Issues????

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 06:19 PM
MrLexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Paint Issues????

I tried searching the forum, but could not find anything in regard to my question.

I have a Black 2006 IS350 and after doing a full detail of the exterior (clay, polish, sealant) I found tremendous amount of rock chips on the front bumper and hood. I did try to touch it up with touch up paint, but I am not satisfied. The car is by no means an exotic car, but for a Lexus, the paint should at least be a little more durable.

So, does anyone know if there is any type of recall/fix for this problem?
Old 12-01-07, 06:30 PM
IS350Livin
Pit Crew

I feel you brother! Black 06 and the front is trashed. Haven't heard anything but maybe if enough reply there may be something.
Old 12-01-07, 08:00 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought Lexus spent 11 out of the 19 production hours on the paint? Apparently it undergoes a hefty amount of paint. I wonder if it is with the model itself or a general problem covering all Lexus.
Old 12-01-07, 08:08 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a black 07 and the paint scratches and swirls super bad even when using a microfiber towel, I have to get it buffed and polished every month to minimize the crappy look of all the spider webbing. And yes my bumper and hood are getting pitted as well.
Old 12-01-07, 11:08 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

this is not really an issue. newer cars have soft paint due to regulations of chemicals used in the paint.
Old 12-02-07, 12:30 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

You don't want to see my front bumper and hood hell I got rock chips all from A pillar to the C pillar no joke.
Old 12-02-07, 12:52 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

its cause we have no clear coat to protect us . so gay lexus blk haha, but try get a detailer to do some paint corrections and maybe put on a clear bra?
Old 12-02-07, 01:03 AM
aequitas3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I have a black 07 and the paint scratches and swirls super bad even when using a microfiber towel, I have to get it buffed and polished every month to minimize the crappy look of all the spider webbing. And yes my bumper and hood are getting pitted as well.

That is probably what's going to make me decide on Matador Red over Obsidian/Black Sapphire...

I wish the IS250 came in a different shade of blue....
Old 12-02-07, 01:04 AM
aequitas3
Driver

Originally Posted by weesped
its cause we have no clear coat to protect us . so gay lexus blk haha, but try get a detailer to do some paint corrections and maybe put on a clear bra?
Has anyone got their dealer to throw in a 3M clear bra? It sounds like those are a must have from what I've been reading..
Old 12-02-07, 01:21 AM
MrLexIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is350
this is not really an issue. newer cars have soft paint due to regulations of chemicals used in the paint.
I don't think that is entirely true as the new MB and BMW cars do not have the same 'soft paint' issues that we are facing.
Old 12-02-07, 01:23 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aequitas3
Has anyone got their dealer to throw in a 3M clear bra? It sounds like those are a must have from what I've been reading..
If you have a dark color then very much so. My g/f Obsidian Black G35 got chipped to hell on the hood, literally there were over 15 chips and we dont live in a rural area or anything like that. When she got her Starfire Pearl IS350, the first thing we did was make an appointment for clear bra. Paint was changed years back to meet EPA standards which made them "soft" and more prone to the chipping we commonly see today. To answer your question, I doubt any dealer would want to throw in clear bra. Clear bra would cost anywhere between $600-1000 in most cases and most dealers dont even provide the service themselves; most contract it out and dont really make a huge amount of money one it when they sell it to you.
Old 12-02-07, 02:14 AM
aequitas3
Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
If you have a dark color then very much so. My g/f Obsidian Black G35 got chipped to hell on the hood, literally there were over 15 chips and we dont live in a rural area or anything like that. When she got her Starfire Pearl IS350, the first thing we did was make an appointment for clear bra. Paint was changed years back to meet EPA standards which made them "soft" and more prone to the chipping we commonly see today. To answer your question, I doubt any dealer would want to throw in clear bra. Clear bra would cost anywhere between $600-1000 in most cases and most dealers dont even provide the service themselves; most contract it out and dont really make a huge amount of money one it when they sell it to you.
Thanks for clarifying.... So if I went for the Matador Red, it wouldn't be a critical need like it'd be if I went with the Obsidian, right?
Old 12-02-07, 07:30 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Clarifications:

1. Your back Lexus does have a cleacoat.

2. Lexus paint is of average hardness, and doesn't mar or swirl nearly as easy as some other luxury brands.

3. Your paint chips because of EPA regulations that have softened paint, not due to any defects.
Old 12-02-07, 08:00 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aequitas3
Thanks for clarifying.... So if I went for the Matador Red, it wouldn't be a critical need like it'd be if I went with the Obsidian, right?
If you get MR they you will probably notice the chips less than you would with the darker colors, yes. However, if something were to hit you car and chip a dark color paint, it will most definitely chip MR as well - MR wont be less likely to chip, just less visible after it happens. If I were you though and you are seriously worried about this, just spend a little extra and get clear bra and the color you want. Dont buy a certain color so you can skip on clear bra when you may have been happier with something else.
Old 12-02-07, 08:25 AM
BucBaby
Pole Position

We got our dealer to throw in a clear bra on our car, but that was due to guilt. We ordered in May...still waiting due to a mistake. On our second, "It will be about 3 month". We are getting Matador Red. On a used one we almost bought, the only defect were a couple of paint chips on the hood.

My parents have a clear bra on their ES and it looks fine.

Quick Reply: Soft Paint Issues????