IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport vs Luxury Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 08:34 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear sunshade does come in handy when your parking in the sun and want to prevent too much sunlight from making your interior too hot. Even if you have tint, it will help reduce sunlight. Also your rear seat passengers might like it.
Old 12-02-07, 08:42 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hey thats cool!

Last edited by iKenn; 12-04-07 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-02-07, 10:50 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maz
The rear sunshade does come in handy when your parking in the sun and want to prevent too much sunlight from making your interior too hot. Even if you have tint, it will help reduce sunlight. Also your rear seat passengers might like it.
It helps with the green house effect only. The heat will still get into the vehicle from the sun's direct light. It won't help to reduce the heat comming into the vehicle. I live in TX. I gets in the 3 digits here every summer.
Old 12-02-07, 11:17 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Before I got my tints I used the sunshade pretty often, especially during the hotter months, with the tints it's no longer necessary, but still a cool feature to show off.
Old 12-02-07, 11:22 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

Is there any way to get Luxury with the aluminum trim interior? I'm too young to have that wood trim :P
Old 12-03-07, 09:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As the owner of a 2008 IS350 with Sports Package I can confirm it does NOT come with illuminated sills, it comes with aluminum ones.

Features between the two are identical except for:

Sports package adds the sport suspension (including the 1/2 inch front drop), the aluminum pedals, and the aluminum trim- Versus the Lux w/wheels package giving you the power rear sunshade, wood trim, and illuminated front sills.

The sports package is also $500 less than the Lux w/wheels package.

So the sports package was a no brainer for me, since I disliked the wood in this car, thought the sunshade was worthless, and I was gaining all the other advantages (and the sport suspension and AL pedals that I wanted)... and saving $500... (and it's a lot less than $500 to add the illuminated front sills if I want em).
Old 12-03-07, 09:53 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would prefer the sport package but waiting 4-5 months for special order is kinda long. Also the illuminated front sills would be nice. I don't really care for the power rear sunshade because the back will be tinted anyway. But what is important is the ride. I have a 2005 camry and it doesn't give enough feedback..too smooth.. need to be a little more sporty.. I am a little concern that the luxury package will be too smooth and will not give enough feedback.
Old 12-03-07, 10:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tracerit
Is there any way to get Luxury with the aluminum trim interior? I'm too young to have that wood trim :P
Lux Pkg for the AWD models in '08 does not have wood.
Old 12-03-07, 10:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I would prefer the sport package but waiting 4-5 months for special order is kinda long. Also the illuminated front sills would be nice. I don't really care for the power rear sunshade because the back will be tinted anyway. But what is important is the ride. I have a 2005 camry and it doesn't give enough feedback..too smooth.. need to be a little more sporty.. I am a little concern that the luxury package will be too smooth and will not give enough feedback.
My special order was more like 2.5 months, not 5... and you can add the illuminated front sills in about 5 minutes, they're plug and play on any 07-08 IS350 with sport package.
Old 12-03-07, 10:38 AM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Lux Pkg for the AWD models in '08 does not have wood.
Good tip, he's talking about 350's though.
Old 12-03-07, 11:31 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
My special order was more like 2.5 months, not 5... and you can add the illuminated front sills in about 5 minutes, they're plug and play on any 07-08 IS350 with sport package.
Dealership installed? How much? I don't see that as an option.
Old 12-03-07, 01:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

No, installed by you. I mean they're literally a 5 minute install with a screwdriver. Old ones come out, you plug the new ones into the exisiting plug that's right there under the old ones, and that's about it.

I suppose a dealer would do it too, but he'd likely charge $100 plus mark the part up 300%.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=90176&all=Y

those are the white ones that come in the 08 cars... the 06-07 ones got the same plates but with blue lighting instead of white... either will plug right in. The blue ones are slightly cheaper and here-

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=89644&all=Y

Just get whichever set you prefer (or you might prefer the non-illuminated ones that come with the sports package, it's up to you).

There's several threads on doing the swap, but it's about as difficult as putting on a different pair of shoes
Old 12-03-07, 08:23 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
As the owner of a 2008 IS350 with Sports Package I can confirm it does NOT come with illuminated sills, it comes with aluminum ones.

Features between the two are identical except for:

Sports package adds the sport suspension (including the 1/2 inch front drop), the aluminum pedals, and the aluminum trim- Versus the Lux w/wheels package giving you the power rear sunshade, wood trim, and illuminated front sills.

The sports package is also $500 less than the Lux w/wheels package.

So the sports package was a no brainer for me, since I disliked the wood in this car, thought the sunshade was worthless, and I was gaining all the other advantages (and the sport suspension and AL pedals that I wanted)... and saving $500... (and it's a lot less than $500 to add the illuminated front sills if I want em).
I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. The car will arrive at the dealership on the 17th. Yeah I'm planning on getting the car-gym carbon kit to cover up the grey panels. I too hate the wood. The only wood I like is the dark grey in the GS. Too bad it isn't an option. BTW, I need to get that Tom's front lip ordered.....
Old 12-04-07, 07:36 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well, let me know- I know the current website does list illum. plates for the sports package, but my 08 still came with the usual stainless ones all previous sport package cars did... it sure wouldn't be the first mistake on their website. (see also the fact they listed the ML only option including a DVD changer for the first 2+ years of the model even though it didn't)
Old 12-04-07, 10:02 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Well... leaning toward the Sport Package now... since the illuminated front sills seems easier to install. But there is still the wait of several months. Which dealershipers has a load of sport package IS 350 Nav/ML and black/black?

Quick Reply: Sport vs Luxury Package