IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sport vs Luxury Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 12:38 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sport vs Luxury Package

I am considering one of these 2 options. I was wondering if the drive of the sport package will be better? I want to feel more of the road.
What are some of the reasons one would get one or the other ? Checking around, the dealerships seem to have Luxury package but requires special order (4-5 months wait) for the sport package.
Old 12-02-07, 12:50 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent driven the luxury one, but sport is pretty smooth. but most likely your going to want to drop ur car on some eibachs, i cant wait for mine to come in. its suppose to ride like sport, but its lower, so im pretty excited. btw sport package is nicer, i really hate that wood trim, n the alum pedals make it worth it.
Old 12-02-07, 01:30 AM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

if your gonna drop the car get the luxury...

i wasted money getting the sport cause about a month after i got the car i got coils from japan
Old 12-02-07, 07:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Starting with the '08s, the Sport and Luxury package are the same, with the exception of wood vs. alum trim, and the Sport package has the 18" wheels and 1/2 inch suspension drop standard (which is why it's $400 more than the Luxury package).

So, if I were you, I would just get the Luxury package with the 18" wheels, and drop the car later in the future (which is what I did ).
Old 12-02-07, 07:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lux has the illuminated door sills and power rear sunshade, sport has aluminum door sills
Old 12-02-07, 07:46 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you get the Luxury package. In my opinion it comes with a lot of things that the sport package doesn't have, like the power sunshade and illuminated door sills, and you can always get an aftermarket suspension and customize it to your taste
Old 12-02-07, 09:22 AM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alex350
I recommend you get the Luxury package. In my opinion it comes with a lot of things that the sport package doesn't have, like the power sunshade and illuminated door sills, and you can always get an aftermarket suspension and customize it to your taste
I agree, as the Sport Package doesn't have features that the Luxury Package does.
Old 12-02-07, 11:03 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, it seems everyone like the Luxury over the Sport. So it's likely I am going to get Luxury, but will probably lower it laster.
Old 12-02-07, 05:34 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Sport pack and X-pack have suspension differences from the regular models. The front suspension knuckles are changed since the kingpin angles are different. The steering rack is also different since the ratios are different. The springs and shocks are different. the color of the labels on the sport and x-pack are yellow. All rest of the IS have white labels on the shocks. And yeah the parts catalog is incorrect so you guys with the X-pack and sport pack need to be aware of it since a good wreck and sourcing the parts will become impossible. The parts haven't been updated in the dealer parts catalog yet.

The Sport pack gives up the rear motorized sunshade and woodgrain. Both of which I find worthless. The sport pack does have illuminated door sills like the Luxury pack does from 08 on up. 06-07 models has non-illuminated aluminum door sills instead. The Sport pack comes with 18" wheels. The Luxury pack comes with 17" standard and would require an upgrade to 18" wheels. The Sport pack and X-pack come with sport pedals. None of the other packs come with it.

A sport pack IS350 is 99% of the time a special order and much more difficult to come by. I'm now on my 4th omnth awaiting for mine to arrive. But then again the best things in life are worth the wait.

-Joe
Old 12-02-07, 06:47 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what is a power rear sunshade?
Old 12-02-07, 07:01 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
The sport pack does have illuminated door sills like the Luxury pack does from 08 on up. 06-07 models has non-illuminated aluminum door sills instead.
I don't think the 2008's come with illuminated sill plates with the Sport Package. It is a mistake on the Lexus web site, as confirmed by someone else here who has a 2008 with Sports Package. If illuminated scuff plates are a must for you, you will probably have to add them after market.

Originally Posted by Leotno
A worthless feature, imvho.
Old 12-02-07, 07:03 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

A mesh-type power operated sunshade that shades the rear package shelf.
Old 12-02-07, 08:02 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It's like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-AmegAuLQ

Originally Posted by Evitzee
A worthless feature, imvho.
Yeah, I tend to agree.
Old 12-02-07, 08:33 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
It's like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8-AmegAuLQ

Yeah, I tend to agree.

You know, I am surprised at myself for being excited about getting my IS equipped with the rear power sunshade. My current car (Passat) has a rear sunshade that can be drawn manually by leaning into the back seat and pulling upward on a tab at the base of the rear windshield. This past summer I would use it all the time, but would lean in to retract it a couple times a week when the weather was overcast or rainy. Only takes a few seconds but having that control at my fingertips while seated is very appealing Once again, the reason they call them "options"
Old 12-02-07, 08:34 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the rear sunshade is a worthless feature since I never have passengers in the back plus I have tint. I remember driving an ES350 loaner once with the sunshade and the cool factor lasted a whole 2 minutes when I was able to push the button to watch it go up and down. It lasted only 2 minutes because I realized how ridiculous it was to have it up when I had no passengers in the backseat.

Quick Reply: Sport vs Luxury Package